Steven Wilson remixing Chicago II into 5.1 Surround...??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but I highly doubt that Led Zeppelin and their record label are going to release surround versions of Zeppelin's catalogue after they just spent all that time and effort remastering and putting together those Zeppelin reissues that came out over the last two years. Jimmy Page in particular is not keen to go through all that again considering all the time he spent supervising the reissues and putting together the companion discs for each album. That ship has definitely sailed away.
Yeah I agree Page would not go through that again, and he would likely ask someone else to do it, and simply make a few suggestions and give final approval. In other words it's more likely than not, and I don't agree with you.

Perhaps I spoke too soon, AB. Warners (THE Chicago label) has of late given us lossy codecs so I just assumed......and you KNOW how I feel about lossy codecs.....they're like one night stands....good for a toss in the hay but under closer scrutiny.........

Oh, I thought Rhino was THE Chicago label nowadays.. anyways.. I'm sure all will be revealed in the fullness of time :)

RHINO is Warner's reissue label, AB.

I know that.. but consider this Ralph, over the years Rhino have acted and released stuff independently and in a different manner from the parent company - like the recent YES reissues on DVD-A and BD-A licensed from Rhino by Panegyric in the UK.. I'm not saying the Yes 5.1 releases would have been impossible without Rhino's involvement but we know that Warner have refused licensing for 5.1 to Audio Fidelity whereas Rhino have permitted licensing 5.1 to Panegyric. See what I'm getting at?

not fan of Chicago as well but pretty much hoping if he start cooperation with WB, there are quite a chance someday
he will lay his hands on classical Black Sabbath albums
. at least in not so distant past he mentioned that would be glad
to work on their old stuff.

Oh man....us Sabbath fans would foam at the mouth at the thought of SW working his magic on those......

Yeah I agree Page would not go through that again, and he would likely ask someone else to do it, and simply make a few suggestions and give final approval. In other words it's more likely than not, and I don't agree with you.

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree. I think we'll get surround remixes of Zeppelin's catalogue when they reunite again…

Oh man....us Sabbath fans would foam at the mouth at the thought of SW working his magic on those......

Between Sabbath and Zeppelin, I think the classic Sabbath albums have more of a chance of getting remixed in surround (by SW or anyone) than Zeppelin's catalogue does, but obviously that's just what I think. Everyone's free to speculate and dream as they wish. :)

Between Sabbath and Zeppelin, I think the classic Sabbath albums have more of a chance of getting remixed in surround (by SW or anyone) than Zeppelin's catalogue does, but obviously that's just what I think. Everyone's free to speculate and dream as they wish. :)
those two would be very good shot. no doubt, both are still attract not only those, who has nostalgy for their high days, but young generation as well.
i guess beside Pink Floyd and this two, not as many other artists, who has such steady popularity, spread among very wide demographic margin, in spite of passed time.

Now I'm back home I've had a look and yes I do already have it on DVD-A.

So Chicago I is actually Chicago Transit Authority, and Chicago II is Chicago!! :confused:

Duncan...are you sure you don't already have this title...there is no II on the cover...it just says Chicago...

those two would be very good shot. no doubt, both are still attract not only those, who has nostalgy for their high days, but young generation as well.
i guess beside Pink Floyd and this two, not as many other artists, who has such steady popularity, spread among very wide demographic margin, in spite of passed time.

Truer words were never spoken! Long live Sabbath!!! (In surround hopefully)

Now I'm back home I've had a look and yes I do already have it on DVD-A.

So Chicago I is actually Chicago Transit Authority, and Chicago II is Chicago!! :confused:

Chicago Transit Authority was the band's original name, but the real CTA didn't take too kindly to the band's name and album name, so they shortened their name to Chicago to avoid a big hassle with the real CTA, and that's why the second album is titled the way it is. :)

the real CTA didn't take too kindly to the band's name and album name, so they shortened their name to Chicago to avoid a big hassle with the real CTA, and that's why the second album is titled the way it is. :)
i guess soon after, an official CTA somewhat did regret their decision to distant themselves from CTA band.

I disagree that the 5.1 mix on the DVD-A can't be bettered. Sonically, it's an absolute revelation compared to the original mix, and it's worth having for that alone. But in terms of instrument placement it's incredibly conservative and not much more than 'big stereo', sort of like the Tom Petty 'Hypnotic Eye' 5.1 mix. There are elements that are unique to the front speakers (drums, bass guitar, vocals etc.) but there's nothing in the rear speakers that's entirely discrete, all the horns, pianos, guitars etc. that are in the rear speakers are also in the corresponding fronts as well which basically makes them sound like they're coming from the side walls rather than surrounding you or behind you at all.

There's no reason to think Steven can't better this, not to mention that whatever he does will surely be more dynamic than what's on the old DVD-A which has about 3dB of dynamic range compressed out of it and leaves it feeling a little bit crunch and inorganic for my tastes.

I also hope that whatever's coming out includes the original quad mix, which to me is fantastic both because of the extremely aggressive instrument placement, but also for all the extra bits of instrumentation that ended up in the mix (ie stuff like the extra lead guitars and acoustic rhythm guitars in 25 or 6 to 4 for example) that make the quad mix even more of a bonafied 'alternate mix' even if it isn't entirely true to the original stereo mix.

As much as I love what Wilson is doing, what mixes has he ever done that can be described as anything much more than "big stereo"? He's not exactly the most aggressive surround mixer.

No. There's nothing wrong with the existing 5.1 of Chicago II

Good grief…
When wavelength says something's amiss with your playback system, he isn't referring to "Chicago (II)". He's talking about your statement that Steven Wilson is nothing more than a 'big stereo' surround mixer, and if you really feel that way, tell me who you consider to be an aggressive surround mixer, please, I would love to be enlighten… :rolleyes:

Back