Steven Wilson remixing Chicago II into 5.1 Surround...??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY sentiments, exactly.

Why not reissue the existing Rhino/Warner DTS 4.0 of the CTA album in a higher resolution format INSTEAD. It, too, is OOP and nearly impossible to find.

Well who says that won't happen?
Like I have said countless times before, all we know right now is that SW is working on a remix of "Chicago (II)", but we don't know if he's remixed any other albums before it or will do so afterwards, but I have a pretty good feeling that if there's more, "Chicago Transit Authority" must certainly be one of them. :)

Well who says that won't happen?
Like I have said countless times before, all we know right now is that SW is working on a remix of "Chicago (II)", but we don't know if he's remixed any other albums before it or will do so afterwards, but I have a pretty good feeling that if there's more, "Chicago Transit Authority" must certainly be one of them. :)

RT, do you have the DTS 4.0 of CTA? Even for a lossy format it is dazzling with an all enveloping surround scheme but could, IMO, benefit from a HIGHER resolution do over.

This philosophy of redoing existing 5.1 albums over (with the exception of albums that suffered from poor remixing/remastering/phase issues like George Benson's Breezing or Beck's Blow by Blow, or Nora Jones Come Away With Me) is becoming tiresome as there are SO many albums that will never see the light of a 5.1 remix.......don't you agree?

RT, do you have the DTS 4.0 of CTA? Even for a lossy format it is dazzling with an all enveloping surround scheme but could, IMO, benefit from a HIGHER resolution do over.

This philosophy of redoing existing 5.1 albums over (with the exception of albums that suffered from poor remixing/remastering/phase issues like George Benson's Breezing or Beck's Blow by Blow, or Nora Jones Come Away With Me) is becoming tiresome as there are SO many albums that will never see the light of a 5.1 remix.......don't you agree?

No I don't have the DTS disc of CTA. That was right as I was beginning to get into my surround collecting. I didn't feel like getting it at the time, and I'm certainly not about to blow a big part of my savings account on acquiring it, especially when there's the chance of a new release of it.
And yes, I would love it if more albums could be remixed in surround sound that haven't already been mixed that way before, but you know what they say? Beggars can't be choosers, so if certain surround mixes never come to fruition, it's probably cause the record labels and/or recording artists don't want them to, so it's just best to enjoy what does come, and if SW's previous mixes are any indication, I'm really gonna enjoy his remix of "Chicago (II)"! :)

IIRC, Ballet For a Girl in Buchannon was recorded on 8-track.

Judging by SW's Twitter screenshot which started tyhis thread, it was recorded on at least 16-track (which I believe was the maximum on one tape in 1970). Maybe there was a lot of track bouncing.

Just back from an extended trip and late to this thread. I agree that I'd rather have a Steven Wilson remix of other Chicago albums instead of II and V already on DVD-A. But when I think of what he achieved with the sonics on Tull's Crosseyed Mary, his very elegant version of Lucky Man, and the extra guitar riffs appearing on the SQ 25 or 6 to 4, my appetite is whetted for a SW remix of II.

I've always felt that the tonal balance on the DVD-A track Make Me Smile remained a tad light on the low end. (Yet superb compared to the original stereo mix.); and the bass drum on 25 or 6 to 4 a bit too heavy for my tastes. So it would be very interesting to hear what SW comes up with in both surround and tone.

^What he said.
Do we really need a third surround mix of this?

If it ends up being better than both previously released surround mixes, then yes, we do need it.
But more importantly, like I have said before, this remix could be a gateway to a lot more from Chicago, so like I always say, Hope Springs Eternal! :)

If it ends up being better than both previously released surround mixes, then yes, we do need it.

Your definition of 'need' is quite different from mine.
In a world of limited resources, to say this title is not a priority makes quite the understatement.

Your definition of 'need' is quite different from mine.
In a world of limited resources, to say this title is not a priority makes quite the understatement.

Yes, I understand that not everyone is thrilled that "Chicago (II)" is getting another surround mix when there's other Chicago albums that need 5.1 surround mixes more, but from SW's perspective, he doesn't care about that at all. This is his chance to create 'definitive' (in his mind anyway) stereo & surround mixes of a favorite album of his, and so if he's offered the chance, you can bet he will take it, regardless of if it's been mixed in surround before.
And anyway, I still have a pretty good feeling that his remixing work with Chicago will not be just for this one album, so I hope I'm not proven otherwise! :)

If Chicago II is remixed by Steven and released for purchase I have no doubt that his version will be the one I'll want to play, even though I have the original dvd-a. IMO it won't even be close. Honestly, I hardly ever play the dvd-a, which tells me a lot about how I feel about it.

I get it that some see a new mix as unnecessary but put me in the camp that is looking forward to Chicago II getting the touch of the master. He will make it a beautiful, outstanding surround experience. I can't wait to hear what he does with that horn section; it's going to be magic.

If Chicago II is remixed by Steven and released for purchase I have no doubt that his version will be the one I'll want to play, even though I have the original dvd-a. IMO it won't even be close. Honestly, I hardly ever play the dvd-a, which tells me a lot about how I feel about it.

I get it that some see a new mix as unnecessary but put me in the camp that is looking forward to Chicago II getting the touch of the master. He will make it a beautiful, outstanding surround experience. I can't wait to hear what he does with that horn section; it's going to be magic.

NO freaking doubt long water...I mean wavelength. :banana:

Yes, although the mastering is quite loud. Let's hope this will be bigger then just this one.

I have a really good feeling that this will be another catalogue initiative and not just one deluxe edition. Let's hope my instinct is accurate on this one! :)

http://theseconddisc.com/2016/04/28...rly-albums-surround-stereo-blu-ray-audio-box/

"Chicago: Quadio arrives on June 17 from Rhino Records on nine Blu-ray Audio discs. This landmark release brings together nine albums from the legendary band in remastered high-resolution 192/24 DTS-HD Master Audio in both their original quadraphonic and stereo mixes."

One would assume it would also have any new Steven Wilson remixes, but no mention yet.

Giving the DVD-A another spin, if Sir Steven can improve upon this, I'll be dumbfounded.

The DVD-A always sounded somewhat off to me. The original stereo mix is clearly a sonic mess, and the remix generally sounds much better, but I still find something odd about it. Overly hyped? To me it sounds good, but isn't always necessarily *pleasant*, if that makes sense. To me, a new remix that 1) was based on the original mix, 2) had better fidelity, and 3) was more natural sounding than the DVD-A would be most welcome.

http://theseconddisc.com/2016/04/28...rly-albums-surround-stereo-blu-ray-audio-box/

"Chicago: Quadio arrives on June 17 from Rhino Records on nine Blu-ray Audio discs. This landmark release brings together nine albums from the legendary band in remastered high-resolution 192/24 DTS-HD Master Audio in both their original quadraphonic and stereo mixes."

One would assume it would also have any new Steven Wilson remixes, but no mention yet.
Actually, I'd assume the opposite. But anything is possible, I suppose.

Well, if not, what would become of the Wilson remixes.. nobody is going to buy a separate Chicago II in addition to the box set.

Back