Steven Wilson remixing Chicago II into 5.1 Surround...??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if not, what would become of the Wilson remixes.. nobody is going to buy a separate Chicago II in addition to the box set.

Maybe those who don't want to shell out for the box set? But yes, I could see where this release might delay or cancel anything else being planned for a Chicago II MC release...

Chicago (II) DVD-A

That one looks different than mine (well, I actually just sold mine...).

chicagos.jpg

The newly released DVD-A 4 disc mini box set from Jethro Tull, Aqualung, remixed by Steven Wilson was the first SW remix that didn't blow me away. Good, but not definitive as others of his in the past. It be would be a guess of mine that the lawyers and record exec's will tell the SW camp to hold back and see what the Quadio does. Steven Wilson the music fan, I am sure will be very happy about the forth coming Quadio.

To answer a few posts in this thread, I think there are many of us who would love to hear how SW will remix any and all Chicago albums that he's up for remixing.
And I am very certain that SW is remixing "Chicago (II)" and not the Carnegie Hall live recording because:

A) The bottom of the screenshot has the stereo masters from the "Chicago (II)" MOFI edition
B) He really doesn't like mixing live albums for other artists

All we can do is wait and see what else is in store! :)

The newly released DVD-A 4 disc mini box set from Jethro Tull, Aqualung, remixed by Steven Wilson was the first SW remix that didn't blow me away. Good, but not definitive as others of his in the past. It be would be a guess of mine that the lawyers and record exec's will tell the SW camp to hold back and see what the Quadio does. Steven Wilson the music fan, I am sure will be very happy about the forth coming Quadio.
for the record, it is a 2cd/2dvd-v set of Aqualung.

Not sure why lawyers would care.

From a marketing standpoint, it might make sense for whoever had plans to do whatever it is SW is doing with Chicago II to put it on hold, at the very least. Seems entirely possible that one project was going on without anyone necessarily realizing what was happening with the other since it involves two different sets of tapes and different licenses.

It might even be possible that the multi-tracks aren't owned by the same entity that owns the quad masters?

Not sure why lawyers would care.

From a marketing standpoint, it might make sense for whoever had plans to do whatever it is SW is doing with Chicago II to put it on hold, at the very least. Seems entirely possible that one project was going on without anyone necessarily realizing what was happening with the other since it involves two different sets of tapes and different licenses.

It might even be possible that the multi-tracks aren't owned by the same entity that owns the quad masters?

AFAIK, Warner Music owns anything and everything to do with those first 10 Chicago albums (and more), and that means stereo masters, Quad masters, the 5.1 mixes from the last decade, and the unmixed multitracks.
Therefore, they are the ones that approve any licensing deals that permit another label to reissue any of those albums themselves, and they probably do have the power to dictate when those independent reissues are released, so as not to create a conflict of interest with their own releases.
My best guess is that the SW remix of "Chicago (II)" (and maybe other Chicago albums remixed by SW) will be released by an independent label beginning this fall as a separate release series to this Quadio box set.

My best guess is that the SW remix of "Chicago (II)" (and maybe other Chicago albums remixed by SW) will be released by an independent label beginning this fall as a separate release series to this Quadio box set.

I'd say that a more likely scenario is for the 5.1 remix(es) of Chicago by SW to come out on the Warner label after the 4.0 Quads come out on Warner's Rhino reissue label.
Warner is unlikely to issue the 4.0 Quads and then give newer 5.1 mixes of Chicago to another record label! :)

I'd say that a more likely scenario is for the 5.1 remix(es) of Chicago by SW to come out on the Warner label after the 4.0 Quads come out on Warner's Rhino reissue label.
Warner is unlikely to issue the 4.0 Quads and then give newer 5.1 mixes of Chicago to another record label! :)

Maybe, but it seems strange to me that Warner would separate out the old mixes (stereo & Quad) from the new mixes (new stereo & 5.1) when they could release all the mixes of any given Chicago album on a single Blu-Ray (or DVD) release.
Warner did license out the 5 Yes albums so SW could create new stereo & surround mixes for the Panegyric release series, but it doesn't really matter to me which label releases SW's Chicago remix(es) as long as it's a LOSSLESS release, just like this new Chicago box will be! :)

Hopefully they put all those Jethro Tull's into a Blu-ray box set. Haven't bought any of those lossy jobs yet, and no plans to.

Hopefully they put all those Jethro Tull's into a Blu-ray box set. Haven't bought any of those lossy jobs yet, and no plans to.

Agree, Cboy but at least they include lossless stereo versions on ALL of the Tull boxsets which, in reality, and on my system, do show the deficiencies of the LOSSY 5.1 remixes.

They spent ALL that $$$ on the lavish packaging and quality remasterings and only included LOSSY 5.1 DVD~Vs. Somewhere HEADS should ROLL for that 'questionable' decision.

I know we're getting off-topic here, but let me just say this. I despise lossy 5.1 surround audio as much as the next guy on here, and I especially hate it when releases come out that way for albums that Steven Wilson remixes. However, the Jethro Tull releases are among the very best DVD-V releases I own, and their quality shines through despite the lossy audio. I would not let that factor deter you any longer from getting any of those releases as they are truly fantastic! :)

I bought Benefit. It is good enough that I listen to it when I'm in a Tull mood. And I'll probably buy Stand Up when it comes out. But is it like the sound that comes out of my speakers when I put on, say, Bob Marley Legend or Moondance? No, it is definitely not that good. DTS is still DTS and when I listen to an album in DTS there is always that nagging feeling that it would be better as a lossless release. Some people can totally accept DTS; sorry I can't.

Don't want to get/stay off (Chicago) topic but it would be hard pressed, even here, to find someone that has blu-ray capabilities in their car.

I welcome dvd dts 96/24 versions because I can play them in my car.

Let's just say I don't mind bothering my neighbors when I crank it up in my car on the road.

I have an oppo and a 7.1 / atmos B&W/ML/Def Tech flagship system so I'm not dissing blu-ray dtsHD-MA/dolby trueHD by any stretch (I actually love them), it's just that I spend half my life in my car and thus half my time listening to music in my car so I welcome formats that I can play.

If these never became available on dvd dts 96/24 i would have never gotten the chance to listen to them in my car because I don't have the time nor the patience to rip/convert every BD I own to a format suitable for my car.

I must be in a "glass half-empty" mood this morning. Finding it odd that Steve Wilson posted a message about "Tales" shortly after the official Yes announcement but here it is almost a week after the Warner "Chicago Quadio" announcement and he hasn't chirped in on that title. Perhaps he isn't playing a role in that one?

--Greg

I must be in a "glass half-empty" mood this morning. Finding it odd that Steve Wilson posted a message about "Tales" shortly after the official Yes announcement but here it is almost a week after the Warner "Chicago Quadio" announcement and he hasn't chirped in on that title. Perhaps he isn't playing a role in that one?

--Greg

I don't believe anyone here at QQ thinks SW had anything to do with Quadio....so not expecting it and I'm OK with that. :)

Back