Steven Wilson remixing Chicago II into 5.1 Surround...??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps Warner will use the profits from the box set to pay Steven Wilson to do the 5.1 mixes.

No, that's not it.
There's still a lot that I don't know yet about what exactly Steven Wilson is doing for Chicago (besides remixing "Chicago II") but I would advise everyone to throw any and all expectations completely out the window, cause if you think you know what we're gonna get, you don't.

Chicago II is still the best selling stereo SACD on the music direct website, so I think the stereo buyers have decided to go with that. Won't be much of a market for this 5.1 surround disk just by itself. Some people here will most surely buy it but that's what 20 people? Sure is an odd project.

Chicago II is still the best selling stereo SACD on the music direct website, so I think the stereo buyers have decided to go with that. Won't be much of a market for this 5.1 surround disk just by itself. Some people here will most surely buy it but that's what 20 people? Sure is an odd project.

It's especially an odd project right now just cause we don't know the full context of what's being done and what will be done with it.
Obviously when everything is revealed, people can decide for themselves whether it's worth it or not.

Music Direct, Cboy, IS a stereo centric website so it's NO surprise at all. As much as I was 'curious' about MoFi's stereo CTA SACD, after hearing the fantastic Rhino Quadio version (albeit DTS), I am SO glad I didn't acquiesce and purchase that Stereo version especially in light of the impending LOSSLESS BD~A version.

I have no qualms whatsoever regarding Warner's Chicago Quadio boxset. And if you think only 20 people will buy it.....think again. I think it will be a huge bestseller for Warners....especially when Deep Discount and ImportCD further discount it.

As I mentioned in another thread, I 'begrudgingly' purchased the MoFi Stereo SACD of Carly Simon's first album (and it does sound wonderful) but from memory since I no longer have my Quad OR deck in my system, the Warner's OR QUAD version was
spectacular. Hopefully, IF the Chicago set sells well, PERHAPS we can expect more multi BD~As from Rhino/Warner, but, as always, I won't be holding my breath.

Music Direct, Cboy, IS a stereo centric website so it's NO surprise at all. As much as I was 'curious' about MoFi's stereo CTA SACD, after hearing the fantastic Rhino Quadio version (albeit DTS), I am SO glad I didn't acquiesce and purchase that Stereo version especially in light of the impending LOSSLESS BD~A version.

I have no qualms whatsoever regarding Warner's Chicago Quadio boxset. And if you think only 20 people will buy it.....think again. ...
I was talking about the stand-alone Chicago II Steve Wilson ... not the quadio boxset. I'm sure more than 20 people will buy the box set. I will be buying one.

I was talking about the stand-alone Chicago II Steve Wilson ... not the quadio boxset. I'm sure more than 20 people will buy the box set. I will be buying one.

OH!

Well I would be curious to hear what Steve Wilson does accomplish if he remixes Chicago II in 5.1 but NOT if it's accompanied by another kitchen sink box set.

Has anyone heard anything further about this SW effort? I am very much looking forward to this. If SW stays true to form, his work will better both the Quadio and the 5.1 DVD-A. I have found the Chicago II album to be the most difficult with which to find consistently great sound from start to finish. I.e. My latest revelation was playing 25 or 6 to 4 from the DVD-A in pseudo 7.1 using PLIIx and finding that I much preferred it to the 5.1 mix. But conversely, I preferred Make Me Smile on the 5.1 layer.

Hey, now there's a project for you folks that like to rip this stuff and process it on your computers - process, cut and paste to come up with the ultimate sounding surround version possible.

Has anyone heard anything further about this SW effort? I am very much looking forward to this. If SW stays true to form, his work will better both the Quadio and the 5.1 DVD-A. I have found the Chicago II album to be the most difficult with which to find consistently great sound from start to finish.

Nothing more has been said yet about what SW is doing with "Chicago (II)", but I wouldn't be so quick to throw out my DVDA of this title if I were you…

Nothing more has been said yet about what SW is doing with "Chicago (II)", but I wouldn't be so quick to throw out my DVDA of this title if I were you…

Not to worry RT. Regardless of what SW does or doesn't do, my DVA-A and Quadio of Chicago II are not going anywhere. But if they do the same thing as with the BR-A of Fragile, the original DVD-A mix of Chicago II will be somewhere on the SW reissue. Wouldn't that be grand?

Not to worry RT. Regardless of what SW does or doesn't do, my DVA-A and Quadio of Chicago II are not going anywhere. But if they do the same thing as with the BR-A of Fragile, the original DVD-A mix of Chicago II will be somewhere on the SW reissue. Wouldn't that be grand?

I wouldn't count on that happening in this instance.

Yes, Steven's project could be something completely different than remixing the original Chicago album...

And the quad mix, too, if it follows the Jethro Tull model! But...

I wouldn't count on that happening in this instance.
Exactly.

Yes, Steven's project could be something completely different than remixing the original Chicago album...
What, then? Given he was/is using the MFSL as reference, what else could he possibly be doing?

My latest revelation was playing 25 or 6 to 4 from the DVD-A in pseudo 7.1 using PLIIx and finding that I much preferred it to the 5.1 mix.

Perhaps the harshest truth to face in the world of surround music is how few genuine surround mixes even compare to the original stereo thru DPLIIx, let alone surpass it. At times it makes me think this whole hobby just isn't worth all the trouble. The few great mixes do renew my faith when I hear them, but sadly most cannot honestly pass this test.

Perhaps the harshest truth to face in the world of surround music is how few genuine surround mixes even compare to the original stereo thru DPLIIx, let alone surpass it. At times it makes me think this whole hobby just isn't worth all the trouble. The few great mixes do renew my faith when I hear them, but sadly most cannot honestly pass this test.

Very true...many albums that sound GREAT in DPL II (or your favorite)
BUT
If we also get the MCH version, even better

This hasn't quite been my experience. While PLIIx makes many stereo recordings more interesting, I've never heard the degree of separation achieved by most (of my) discrete multichannel recordings.

Back