Something Different: Binaural Recordings with Stereo Headphones

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also kept some lists of "kunstophe " and related systems . I'd forgotten that I had compiled some back when.

20180205_204857.jpg20180205_204905.jpg20180205_204928.jpg

And more interesting info on "Holophonics "

https://www.last.fm/tag/holophonic

The "sampler" of holophonics on cassette was very impressive for a 2 ch surround demo . I also found a good "QS " or SQ decoder did seem to bring out the best in the demonstration .

I don't believe that The Wall used holophonics. Pretty sure that The Final Cut was the only Floyd album that did. Also the Roger Waters radio broadcast that used holophonics (in 1985 from Radio City Music Hall) was from his Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking tour, not his Wall tour (despite the graphics used in the magazine ad.)

Didn't realize that all those Lou Reed/Peter Gabriel/Stevie Wonder/Steve Winwood albums were binaural, that's very interesting.

I don't believe that The Wall used holophonics. Pretty sure that The Final Cut was the only Floyd album that did. Also the Roger Waters radio broadcast that used holophonics (in 1985 from Radio City Music Hall) was from his Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking tour, not his Wall tour (despite the graphics used in the magazine ad.)

Didn't realize that all those Lou Reed/Peter Gabriel/Stevie Wonder/Steve Winwood albums were binaural, that's very interesting.

The info on the use of "holophonics" use on The Wall was that "effects only " utilized the process.

Sorry but I don't have the reference to this . It was mentioned some many years ago in either Quad Incorporated quarterly or the other publication of it's kind....Evolution/4 Quad .

So the 'forgotten' Can is Saw Delight, I'll have to give it a listen through headphones - I have all their SACDs!

Also kept some lists of "kunstophe " and related systems . I'd forgotten that I had compiled some back when.

View attachment 32087View attachment 32088View attachment 32089

And more interesting info on "Holophonics "

https://www.last.fm/tag/holophonic

The "sampler" of holophonics on cassette was very impressive for a 2 ch surround demo . I also found a good "QS " or SQ decoder did seem to bring out the best in the demonstration .

I’ll have to check out my archives down in the dungeon - pretty sure I have the CD, though it’s been awhile. Wonder how this will fare with SPEC? We shall soon see...

First let me state that the 3 performers here are all stellar musicians and I have a particular fondness for Mr. Levin's work. The performances on this record are excellent without exception, as you would expect. I would hesitate to call these songs - more tone poems meant to evoke the space and the conceit of a recording made in a cavern. The music is "new agey" but not without merit. Very peaceful.

I have run this through SPEC, decoded via DPLII, listened as straight stereo and via headphones. SPEC gives a little movement but this is otherwise 3 instruments recorded in a cavern. Reverb but not overly so, some interesting drum and bass parts - the primarily wooden flute sound gives it more of a New Age element than I would prefer, but still all in all, glad to have it. The Binaural element however, escapes me.

gorn.jpg

So the 'forgotten' Can is Saw Delight, I'll have to give it a listen through headphones - I have all their SACDs!

No not exactly, Duncan.

Can-Can Landed is my memory loss title .

1. CanFlowmotion
2. CanSawDelight
3. CanLanded

On a separate note re Alan Parsons binaural.......

only one track on Tales utilizing 3d , and don't know why I have Steretomy listed ? It's UHJ Encoded but can't reckon the binaural reference.:rolleyes:

Well TesseracT have announced that their new album "Sonder" is having a Binaural release! I'd have rather it was in 5.1, but I imagine their target audience listens on their phones.

http://www.kscopemusic.com/artists/tesseract/

For audiophiles, TesseracT have produced a binaural version which will be available exclusively as part of the 2CD version, this version is a 360-listening experience designed by Klang: Fabrik for headphones listening Amos Williams explains more “the concept is to push past the restrictions of a stereo headphone mix and create an accurate ‘3D’ space in which positioning outside of the normal Left Right axis can occur. This is something that every artist that uses in ear monitors on stage wishes to recreate; the real and accurate positioning of instruments. We immediately felt that this technology could be applicable to us in the studio. TesseracT loves to bring what it does in the studio to the stage, but this time it’s experimenting with bringing a live element to the studio.”

Back