BEST LIVE QUAD TAPES/CDS/LPS/etc.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Ok all you Quadraphiles,

It's time to tell all on QQ what you consider the best of live quad recordings.They can be from the "legacy" years, or later.Matrix or discreet-no matter.

And a little detail/explanation would be appreciated. Thanks all participants in advance.

-Fizzquadio:D

A few favourites to start:

Mahavishnu Orchestra 'Between Nothingness & Eternity Live' (1973) The mix is pretty straightforward, but effective - guitars, bass and drums across the front in stereo, with violin in one rear speaker and keyboards in the other, and the crowd in both. The effect makes you feel like you're onstage with the band and the effect is great when the lead instruments are trading solos or playing unison lines. I actually like this mix better than the quad mix of Birds Of Fire. The performance is top-notch as well, MO were a live juggernaut.

Aretha Franklin 'Live At Fillmore West' (1971) What I really like about this quad mix is it makes use of all 4 of the stereo soundfields available in a quad mix, ie stuff in stereo across the front and back, but also stuff in stereo across the side walls too. Aretha's in the front (along with drums and bass), horns are along the left wall, backing vocalists along the right wall, and keyboards, guitars etc are dotted around the room, and the crowd is all around you. It's a really immersive mix and King Curtis' band that's backing Aretha is Hot with a capital H, including the great Bernard Purdie on drums, one of my favourite drummers of all time. Because Aretha was playing the Fillmore she was playing a lot of 'crossover' material including Eleanor Rigby, Love The One You're With, Bridge Over Troubled Waters and I Wanna Make It With You in addition to her usual repertoire and she owns it all, but that isn't even the best part - there's a true 'hairs stand up on the back of the neck' moment toward the end where she pulls Ray Charles out of the audience to duet with her on Spirit In The Dark. I guess Rhino didn't have much success with the Quadio disc of Aretha's Greatest Hits, but I'd love to see AF do a SACD of this one - it's a remarkable performance and listening to it in stereo is like watching it on TV while the quad mix makes you feel like you're actually in the crowd.

Isaac Hayes 'Live At Sahara Tahoe' (1973) A really active, discrete mix - drums, bass, guitars and vocals in front, with the string and horn sections, piano and crowd in the rears. The sound quality is so good I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the strings and horns were re-recorded in the studio later. Features Hayes and his really tight band performing his hits and a bunch of extended reworked covers (Light My Fire, The Look Of Love, Use Me, It's Too Late, and more) and for most of this early stuff (aside from the Shaft soundtrack songs) it's the only way to hear it in quad. Such a shame these Stax quad mixes are still languishing in the vault after all these years.

Honourable mention to Focus 'Live At The Rainbow' (1973) It's not the the most imaginative live mix as I recall - guitar/bass/drums in front, and Thijs Van Leer himself (ie keyboards, flute and yodelling) and the crowd in the rears, but Focus earned their reputation as a live band and you can hear why on this album. They play Hocus Pocus at such a ferocious pace on this live album that it makes the studio version seem like a ballad by comparison. Interestingly, this gig was filmed too (you can watch some of it on YouTube) so they could conceivably sync the quad mix with the video and release it as a BluRay or DVD.

The Doors-Best of The Doors.....73

Only one track, the opener "Who Do You Love" I never paid much attention to it before (when I had it in cd-4) but it is so very unusual as it starts with audience and Jim's vocals in the rear with his announcement and I believe Densmore's drums, but then rapidly moves to the front and then all four channels engage.

Allman Brothers-Fillmore East rec.71 mix 73

This is one of the penultimate quad live recordings which never under estimate the use of all 4 channels.

Allman Bros.-Eat A Peach 72-73 mix

The live tracks on this disc are a showcase for quad.All 4 channels, will fire up for your enjoyment.

Well how could I forget this quad live recording:rolleyes:

Probably the best live quad action for all 4 speakers, lot's of swirling synth, moog and bass, drums, vocals, etc.

EMERSON, LAKE, and PALMER-"Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends....Ladies And Gentlemen..Emerson, Lake, and Palmer !"

Had the 3 tape Q8 set and it was the most profound use of quad-live I'd ever heard !:D

"Best of the Best" me thinks.

Thought I'd mention a few "STILL AVAILABLE" on quad cd.

PROCOL HARUM-LIVE FROM THE BBC (75)

MOUNTAIN-TWIN PEAKS (73-4) live inJapan

SANTANA-LOTUS (73) live in Japan

I've had Lotus for quite some time now and for such a large arena rock disc this is impressive .
I never had the Procol Harum nor the Mountain live discs up ntil 2 or 3 years ago, and what a TREAT !! These are both exceptional quad cds and a must for anyone who likes quad, period.
The Procol Harum is from The Grand Hotel tour, I used to have that disc back in the day but it never clicked, unlike this live version.

Now all three are still available to purchase and I got mine locally at the record shop.All 3 are SQ QUAD encoded and will give surprisingly good results with Dolby Pro.(y)

I've had Lotus for quite some time now and for such a large arena rock disc this is impressive .
I never had the Procol Harum nor the Mountain live discs up ntil 2 or 3 years ago, and what a TREAT !! These are both exceptional quad cds and a must for anyone who likes quad, period.
The Procol Harum is from The Grand Hotel tour, I used to have that disc back in the day but it never clicked, unlike this live version.

Now all three are still available to purchase and I got mine locally at the record shop.All 3 are SQ QUAD encoded and will give surprisingly good results with Dolby Pro.(y)

Snoooopid question

Fizzy, How would one know if a cd was quad cd? Any markings or are they just encoded that way?

Snoooopid question

Fizzy, How would one know if a cd was quad cd? Any markings or are they just encoded that way?

They are all "Single Inventory" Quad SQ encoded.There were no stereo copies issued, just the matrix encoded copies.And because of the time line (70's legacy lp's) they no longer have any quad markings on the cds.
If your searching for an lp it to would be encoded, however only the "legacy-release"would have the quad matrix indications.

Hi. All
My best live concert is SANTANA LOTUS a concert in Japan 1974?.. SQ 3LP set, and you can still get it on SQ CD to, if you like to pay the price.

The concert really gave that live fell that you where there a wide stage of instruments from left to centre to right and the crowds around you, there where some floating instruments in the back speakers here and there which just enhanced that Quad sound.

q1.jpg
q disc.jpg

Hey, BBQ,

The same dude who mixed Lotus in quad mixed the Twin Peaks disc in quad. Mountain and Santana-live in Japan.:D

Both excellent SQ mixes that are LIVE.Gorgeous picture btw.

And @Snood:

The Procol Harum -live at the BBC quad lp disc was never made available to the consumer-only made available to subscribing F.M. stations worldwide from BBC Transcription Services.So this once extremely rare quad recording is only now available to the consumer.:D(y)

Thank you Fizzy, based on your post I have ordered both the Twin Peaks and Procol Harum cds from Amazon. Cheap copies were available.
I already Have Lotus on Japanese lp and a cd version.

I have received so may valuable tips from reading this forum and bought many discs I never heard of just from here.
I can mention the Klaus Schulze DVD while not quad is live surround and worth getting thanks to the original poster.

Thank you Fizzy, based on your post I have ordered both the Twin Peaks and Procol Harum cds from Amazon. Cheap copies were available.
I already Have Lotus on Japanese lp and a cd version.

I have received so may valuable tips from reading this forum and bought many discs I never heard of just from here.
I can mention the Klaus Schulze DVD while not quad is live surround and worth getting thanks to the original poster.

You're very welcome.

Don't know if you have scanned the posts on QQ'S matrix quad cd threads, not all live of course, but well worth viewing for collectors.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?27-Matrix-Compact-Discs

I've just got the 2005 Repertoire re-release of Mountain's Twin Peaks (RES 2331) and even only decoded with DD Pro-II Music, there is an lot going on in surround. So I'm assuming that the Master tapes they used were SQ encoded. Its a good live album I'd never heard before, from a later incarnation of Mountain which I have to say I'd ignored.

Duncan,

Boy those artists do switch about labels don't they.My Twin Peaks is on Columbia, got it new and for $10.00 I think.I was so surprised with the obvious rear channel action too.
I noticed this recommended by a QQ member, but can't remember, and boy was I happy with this and the Procol Harum.:sun
SQ on cd !! Yay. !!

btw not live but Deep Purple for 2016 just released Machine Head-SQ quad cd intact-the whole quad album.And cheap $15.00 Cdn.:worthy

Back