Involve decoder testing for the quadcast - materials and help needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
A while back there was discussion about the involve decoder, and some debate as well, that left me very curious. Some of the discussion was around the decoding of EV4 materials. I can't find the original posts now to confirm what was exactly said, but when it was questioned if there could be an ev4 mode made for an involve decoder, the response was that the involve mode does ev4 well enough that that wouldn't be necessary. There was response suggesting that this couldn't be true, and that QS and EV4 are different, so one decoder couldn't possibly do both in the same mode.

Something like that anyways.

This left me quite curious, because the involve decoder is getting great reviews, but the point that 2 different formats would need 2 different types of decoding also makes sense. There was talk of doing a shoot out, which didn't materialize at the time. But, for a while now I've had an involve decoder, and I've been tasked with doing shoot outs, putting it to the test, and reviewing it. I plan on doing a lot of testing with it, and am quite excited about this, but the SQ testing will have to wait until my tate gets back from the shop (any year now.....I may need to borrow a tate if that is at all possible....)

Anyways, I think the EV4 testing is a good starting point, as it is something I've been quite curious about. I don't have any vintage ev4 decoders, but I don't think that format ever evolved to a point that any advanced decoders were made, so I think the real focus on the testing of EV4 performance is how it compares to the scripts.

The materials I have for EV4 are limited though. I do have a project 3 sampler, an evolution sampler, and big band moog. I've been hoping to find an ev4 copy of Enoch Light - Permissive Polyphonics, since the first cut on that, Marakesh Express, has been included on the project 3 test record that came out in SQ, QS, and CD4. I figure it would be nice in my testing to include a track that was released on EV4, SQ, and QS, so that as this is tested, we can also compare how these formats compare to one another.

And so, I need to get my hands on a confirmed EV4 copy of Permissive Polyphonics. I also need to get my hands on a QS copy of the project 3 test record. Confirmed EV4 copies of Project 3 albums are a bit tricky, as they often seem to not be labeled on the cover or label, and share the same catalog number as QS versions, it seems the best way I can figure to identify them is to find copies with stickers still on them indicating they are EV4 (or stereo-4). So I wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone has a confirmed EV4 copy of this they could lend out for testing. Also, if anyone has other EV4 recommendations, or materials for lending out, that would be great as well.

Also, if anyone has a vintage EV4 decoder they are willing to loan out for the cause, it may be fun to include that in the test as well.

Ok, I managed to pull off the EV4 portion of this so far, but I had to drop the idea of including a vintage EV4 decoder in the mix.

However, I will not be able to proceed without help. Please, reach out to me if you can help with the following. I need someone with a Tate II and the ability to record in a 4 channel 24 bit 96kHz file from it to reach out to me. I'm going to prepare a sampling of SQ materials into a single 24 bit 96 kHz file, that I need a Tate II decode of. By doing it this way, the exact same source will be decoded through the Involve, a Tate, and software decoded by OD.

Hi,
Do you use the Marantz 4060 as the input for the involve Surround Master and Denon receiver for amplifier output or do you use the Denon receiver as the input for the involve Surround Master and Marantz 4060 for amplifier output? I think of getting a involve Surround Master. Write back.

Thanks,
Varian

Hi,
Do you use the Marantz 4060 as the input for the involve Surround Master and Denon receiver for amplifier output or do you use the Denon receiver as the input for the involve Surround Master and Marantz 4060 for amplifier output? I think of getting a involve Surround Master. Write back.

Thanks,
Varian

Ok, I managed to pull off the EV4 portion of this so far, but I had to drop the idea of including a vintage EV4 decoder in the mix.

However, I will not be able to proceed without help. Please, reach out to me if you can help with the following. I need someone with a Tate II and the ability to record in a 4 channel 24 bit 96kHz file from it to reach out to me. I'm going to prepare a sampling of SQ materials into a single 24 bit 96 kHz file, that I need a Tate II decode of. By doing it this way, the exact same source will be decoded through the Involve, a Tate, and software decoded by OD.

Back