XTC Skylarking - Andy Partridge AMA / news

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wonderful tweet from Andy P today:
"Spoke to Steven Wilson tonight,there's good news on tapes of another album being found.Just looking now for a few reels of stereo mixes.Soon"

:)

Yes very good news.
Sure am curious as to which album this is. Andy will let us know in good time I am sure. Based on how they have been releasing these things and SW's busy touring more this probably will be another October release I would presume.

Yes very good news.
Sure am curious as to which album this is. Andy will let us know in good time I am sure. Based on how they have been releasing these things and SW's busy touring more this probably will be another October release I would presume.

Yes, I would assume the next XTC remix will be released in the Fall of 2017, but if they can get it out sooner, all the better! :)

Yes very good news.

Someone tweeted to Andy a while back saying that he should have Terry Chambers sign the postcard in the next XTC reissue. Andy replied, "that's the idea" (I going on memory here). So the next reissue is likely to be one that Terry drummed on. I would think "Black Sea" or "English Settlement" would be the ones most likely (the first two album less likely, imo). And since the "English Settlement" CD and vinyl was just released from the original stereo master tape, that can't be the album where they're trying to find a few reels of stereo mixes. So I predict "Black Sea" will be the next in the series.

English Settlement, Black Sea, Mummer (a personal fave)...whichever....the quality of what he/they have give us so far makes anything else an auto buy. albums I was not sold on initially have become new and very interesting - like the KC. Yes, ELO, Tull...a new perspective is always welcome in my books.

Someone tweeted to Andy a while back saying that he should have Terry Chambers sign the postcard in the next XTC reissue. Andy replied, "that's the idea" (I going on memory here). So the next reissue is likely to be one that Terry drummed on. I would think "Black Sea" or "English Settlement" would be the ones most likely (the first two album less likely, imo). And since the "English Settlement" CD and vinyl was just released from the original stereo master tape, that can't be the album where they're trying to find a few reels of stereo mixes. So I predict "Black Sea" will be the next in the series.

I love both albums but slightly prefer Black Sea so that would be great to have in 5.1 :banana:

I can't remember where I read this, but I was under the impression that the multitracks for "English Settlement" could not be found.

I can't remember where I read this, but I was under the impression that the multitracks for "English Settlement" could not be found.

The last thing I had specifically heard about the "English Settlement" multitracks was that they were only missing a few songs, but those few songs were the big hits! Maybe they have been found since then. Or maybe Andy found tapes for another record, like "Black Sea", "Mummer", and/or "The Big Express". Any of those would be absolutely delicious! :)

I so wish I could get into XTC like all you others. I just can't figure out why I just don't feel the love. Odd, I know. :mad:@:

I don't get into all their stuff in fact I find many of their records to have a little too much "filler" (just my opinion of course) for my taste, but when they hit the sweet spot they really hit it well. A lot of their stuff falls into the "grow on you" category - you need to get to know the songs and get all the little nuances in them.

I don't get into all their stuff in fact I find many of their records to have a little too much "filler" (just my opinion of course) for my taste, but when they hit the sweet spot they really hit it well. A lot of their stuff falls into the "grow on you" category - you need to get to know the songs and get all the little nuances in them.

I believe you are right. I'm pretty sure I simply don't give them a chance. I spin it fast, and I just don't hear what others hear. I need to slow down....absorb it. You never know. :)

I believe you are right. I'm pretty sure I simply don't give them a chance. I spin it fast, and I just don't hear what others hear. I need to slow down....absorb it. You never know. :)

IMO, Skylarking is perhaps XTC's MOST accessible album. I was really not all that familiar with XTC's catalogue but really enjoy the BD~A remixes immensely. An acquired taste, I'm sure for many and after repeated listens they are really an inventive band.

Back