Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Warners has been reluctant to allow Audio Fidelity to release any additional QUAD SACDs from their label perhaps this will finally herald Warner/Rhino's foray into BD~A.......

And what an auspicious debut. I have been clamoring for years to have the Rhino DTS Quadio of CTA released in a higher res format and now my prayers have been answered. For those who haven't heard it......prepare to be ASTOUNDED!

For a moment I thought I was loosing it.... the thread title says 8 albums.... the list on the 1st post gives 9 albums in total, CTA, Chicago 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and greatest hits. That's 9. If I recall correctly, Chicago 4 was a live album, not released in Quad.

Yes, the article says nine discs. The thread title is erroneous.

And, for the record, IX was the greatest hits. X is the last studio album in the set. And you are correct, the live set was never released in Quad.

Yes, the article says nine discs. The thread title is erroneous.

And, for the record, IX was the greatest hits. X is the last studio album in the set. And you are correct, the live set was never released in Quad.

I fixed the thread title. :smokin

HBO will be airing the 2 1/2 hour 2016 Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame's broadcast on Saturday (April 30th) starting at 7 pm [EST]. Other inductees besides CHICAGO will include Cheap Trick, Deep Purple, Steve Miller and N.W.A.

http://cjonline.com/life/arts-enter...-return-tpac-rock-and-roll-hall-fame-inductee

The opening number will be a David Bowie tribute which includes The Roots, David Byrne and Kimbra performing FAME.

I'm pretty friggin' stoked and I'd wager I don't like Chicago 1/8 as much as some of you crazies. As long as there are no glaring problems with this release (e.g. glitches) this will be EPIC.

I'm pretty friggin' stoked and I'd wager I don't like Chicago 1/8 as much as some of you crazies. As long as there are no glaring problems with this release (e.g. glitches) this will be EPIC.

Crazy? How very dare you! :p
.. I grew up on 80's Chicago so when I first heard their 70's music down the line it was quite a shock! Not dissing stuff like "It's Hard For Me To Say I'm Sorry" or "You're The Inspiration" but those first couple of albums are about as far away as you can get really, they rocked in the 70's! Epic is the word (though technically they were on Columbia and now they are on Rhino! Har dee har..! :D )

Snoooooooooooooooooood just ordered from Bullmoose :banana: This is so freaking AwefreakingAwesome :51banana:

Snoooooooooooooooooood just ordered from Bullmoose :banana: This is so freaking AwefreakingAwesome :51banana:

There's only one thing wrong with your post, Snood.........:banana: :banana::banana::banana::banana: MINUS one:banana: It's QUAD!

But who's counting?

To say that I'm excited about this news is an understatement. Bloody Hell! Thanks to the fine folk at Rhino for doing this.!

My very first thought when I saw this was 'thank god I didn't try and bid high enough to win any of these on eBay'. The Chicago Q8's fetch(ed) some of the highest prices on the site, and just recently a seller liquidated his whole collection of Chicago Q8 tapes - the prices were something like this (from memory):

CTA - $150
II - $233
III - $200
V - $50
VI - $60
VII - $80
VIII - $150
IX - $100
X - $75

And these are pretty 'average' prices too - so you'd be in for about $1200 to get all the Chicago quad mixes on Q8 tape with no guarantee that they played or anything. Makes this new $150 box set look like the bargain of the century by contrast!

I'm pretty sure that the seller got word of this release and decided to sell before the value of these tapes dropped. I admit doing something similar a few years ago. Is this considered Insider Trading? :D

Not a huge Chicago fan, but this release makes me consider it. I wasn't a huge Doors fan, but I did buy the perception box set.

All those classic albums, in Quad. Hrm...

I have been at work since this news broke so I finally have a chance to respond back, and all I can say is:

THANK YOU, SWEET BABY JESUS! SHUT UP AND JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY, RHINO!
I'm still pinching myself to make sure this isn't all just some crazy dream.
Plus, I'm also really glad now that I didn't give in to the strong temptations to buy that CTA DVD for those crazy prices cause this will be so much better!
Who do we have to send our thanks to for pushing Blu-Ray for this set? Even DVD would have still been good, but Blu-Ray makes this all the more worthwhile!

Finally, I'm now guessing that anything SW is doing for Chicago is on a separate track/separate label. Maybe his remix of "Chicago (II)" (and potentially other albums) will be Panegyric releases similar to the ones from the likes of Yes and XTC. I don't blame Rhino one bit for wanting to take advantage of the stereo and Quad mixes already in the vaults. They have done us a great service by putting all of the albums together like this, and I guarantee you all that I'm now starting to save my pennies for this, cause by the time the middle of June rolls around, this sucker is MINE! :)

albeit not a fan of "big band" in rock but this release sounds too good to pass.
at least i can consider it like sort of classical heritage from 70s ;)

Great news, and they're doing it right: all of the quad titles in high-res. May this sell out and inspire more such collections.

Back