Some SACD 5.1 bass levels 10 dB high?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrom

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I'm relatively new to the SACD Multichannel game.

I've observed some SACD 5.1 channel layers with extra bass levels (~10 dB) relative to the SACD stereo layer. I assume this is due to some gain mistakes in either source or equipment w.r.t. the LFE (.1) channel.

Not all 5.1 discs have the issue. So far I've heard this on discs from around 2003, in particular Blood on the Tracks (Dylan) and the Sony RS500 SACD sampler.

My equipment is: Oppo 103, Yamaha RX-A2050, connected via HDMI. Issue is seen using both DSD and PCM from the Oppo.

Any ideas? Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, steve

Last edited:
Try shutting off DSD Give a listen and turn it back on the oppo will give you a choice

Thanks. I tried this, and the extra bass is present whether the oppo is sending DSD or PCM 5.1 to my receiver. The extra bass is NOT present when I put the oppo in stereo mode (reading the stereo Sacd layer). Extra bass only in 5.1.

This might be a Snoody thing.......Snood had something like this when me first started and got an old OPPO

This might sound snoooopid, but have you gone through the settings of the oppo on your tv......also your receiver

To make sure the the speaker settings are correct...large/small.........subwoofer on off......what layer to play on sacd and resolution

Do it for both ur OPPO and receiver........

You probably maybe already have but check those settings on the TV menu for both......you might be surprised what you may have missed.

My first OPPO took me like 2 hours to figure out what now is a no brained lol

Good luck and please keep us posted :banana:

I'm relatively new to the SACD Multichannel game.

I've observed some SACD 5.1 channel layers with extra bass levels (~10 dB) relative to the SACD stereo layer. I assume this is due to some gain mistakes in either source or equipment w.r.t. the LFE (.1) channel.

Not all 5.1 discs have the issue. So far I've heard this on discs from around 2003, in particular Blood on the Tracks (Dylan) and the Sony RS500 SACD sampler.

My equipment is: Oppo 103, Yamaha RX-A2050, connected via HDMI. Issue is seen using both DSD and PCM from the Oppo.

Any ideas? Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, steve

I think you need to read this:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...fers-interconnects-explained.html#post8855640

Hey ssully, how would you define "bass management" in the context of the helpful link, I still don't get it.

Hey ssully, how would you define "bass management" in the context of the helpful link, I still don't get it.

Bass management is simply, directing the bass from the correct channels to the correct channels at the correct level , based on loudspeaker 'size' setting. Easy, no?

Back