YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisMoore Jr.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
This thread is dedicated to supporting a release of YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans in 5.1.

Some ill winds have been blowing from the North and have settled in this thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ctober-30th-(Remixed-by-Steven-Wilson)/page12

This thread is to accentuate the positive and perhaps provide the powers-that-be with notice that Tales From Topographic Oceans would indeed sell many units and is worthy of a release, post haste!

Taking stock of what this wonderful forum has enlightened us with:

The Tales 5.1 mix is mostly done apparently, so the remix is not a potential hold-up(no missing tapes or poor tape conditioning, etc...).

Steven Wilson is a HUGE fan of Tales, which certainly doesn't hurt!

The publishing rights for Tales have reverted back to YES, LLC... So no record company can stop this project! This is HUGE! Cause IMHO, most 5.1 mixes that are killed are due to music business greed or lack of understanding from a "corporate" perspective".

YES want Tales released in surround. Jon Anderson has stated so and Steve Howe co-wrote the bloody thing, so he wants it out as well! YES have never been shy to release product(much to my sheer personal joy!) A release would be a monument to both Jon & Steve, so right there is tons of momentum for a release!

In addition Tales has transformed from "that obscure YES over-reach" as it was known back in the 1970s to "essential and a revered musical composition" by the likes of Steven Wilson and other modern music industry types!

The heart of the sunrise(matter) here is:

YES own Tales, and it has been mixed(it was reported that SW was contracted for all YES; 1970-1974)). So all that is required is for a publisher to put it out. This is a relatively small step given that ALL of classic King Crimson has been published, some esoteric Tull(Passion Play) and basically all classic Tull will get published, etc... Point is: YES - Tales is not at all "too vague" or non-commercial to get released! 5.1 sales are brisk and doing well in general. No reason to cancel based on poor projected sales!

A "niche" publishing sub-industry exists by the likes of Panegyric, etc... So a publisher shouldn't be too much trouble. Tales is not being held up by a conglomerate like Universal. THANK GOD.

Tales is such a deeply personal recording for me that when the rumors of its release first came to light I refused to believe it since I would be utterly devastated if it didn't come out, however, objectively, I see no reason that it would be cancelled. All prior YES 5.1 releases have done well and to much critical acclaim.

YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans has many supporters. Be one of them and show your support for its release, here in this thread!

Tales.jpg

Tales From Topographic Oceans has many supporters! That may surprise a lot of people!

-Edit-

ProgRules has suggested a KickStarter campaign. I will be buying at least 5 copies if Tales comes out. So I would have no prob contributing $100 to any campaign. Any KickStarter experts here?

Last edited:
Well, it's the one I want to hear the most after CTTE. And I'm probably more interested to the level Wilson will take the mix for this one. (CTTE was a more "completed" mix than Tales IMHO. Apologies if that comment makes anyone lose their mind!. Just explaining my comment.)

Not surprised Fragile was released prior though. Won't surprise me if GFTO is released ahead of Tales either. Can't exactly complain about other favorite Yes titles being released! (I honestly won't be surprised if 90210 is released ahead of it either but I WILL be offended!)

The Tales 5.1 mix will be a special one to me though. :)

Well, it's the one I want to hear the most after CTTE. And I'm probably more interested to the level Wilson will take the mix for this one. (CTTE was a more "completed" mix than Tales IMHO. Apologies if that comment makes anyone lose their mind!. Just explaining my comment.)

Not surprised Fragile was released prior though. Won't surprise me if GFTO is released ahead of Tales either. Can't exactly complain about other favorite Yes titles being released! (I honestly won't be surprised if 90210 is released ahead of it either but I WILL be offended!)

The Tales 5.1 mix will be a special one to me though. :)

Missing multi's for GFTO afaik.. :(

Of course I'm all in on this one.

When I saw the thread title, I thought you were starting an online petition, Sir Dennis.

Or even better, a kickstarter campaign to get this thing rolling. Whatever it takes, I'm in.

Tales will benefit from opening it up in surround so I will gladly part with many many lupins Sir Dennis to have this in the 5.1 mix that it most definitely deserves. :music :51banana:

Don't kill the Tales! (oh, no, that's from a different record).
I'd love to have this record in surround, in fact it was the second Yes's album I bought after Yesstory and I'm deeply fond of it.
If a kickstarter campaign could help, count me in!

I absolutely love this album. It kinda grew on me. I grew up with a copy of Fragile, it was one of the few albums both my parents owned a copy of, and I managed to claim a copy for myself...my mom basically said keep it once I accidentally spilled sand on it while it was playing while emptying my shoe after playing in the sandbox at nursery school that day, scuffing it up quite a bit. Fast forward to college, and as I was growing my music collection with stuff from the dollar bin, I started looking more into what else Yes had done, as I wasn't that familiar with the rest of their output. I picked up a cheap copy of Close To The Edge, and was instantly hooked on that. Reading up on the rest, I was quite curious about Tales From Topographic Oceans, having 4 side long songs, and being described as something you either love or hate, I wanted to check it out. Being that I was liking everything else I was picking up, I figured I'd probably fall into the love camp. A copy turned up in the dollar bin, and I immediately snatched it up, and....I liked it. Not my favorite, didn't hate it. I guess I broke the rule of you either love it or hate it. Fast forward to when I lived in Maine, and the CD copy I eventually had managed to typically find it's way into the car CD player on drives to and from Jersey....often while driving through Connecticut. It really grew on me, and it's now my 2nd favorite Yes album. When there were hints of it being the next 5.1 release, I was all excited, waiting for the official announcement. One day I was having a conversation with a friend that is also a Yes fan, commenting on how I was really looking forward to a Tales 5.1 mix since it was looking like that would be the next one, and also commenting on how I hope after they do that, they go back and do Fragile, since the 5.1 on the dvd-a of it sucked so bad in my opinion. The next day, the Fragile 5.1 was announced, which left me with mixed feelings. Sure, I wanted a new Fragile 5.1, but....I was really excited for Tales, so it was bittersweet. But my thought was, we already know Tales was being worked on, this means we get both.

But now finding out there's no plans to actually release the Tales, and we might not get it.....

So, to the powers that be, what in the hell are you thinking? Come on, this is a no brainer! You have a 5.1 mix already in the works if not already done, you've had 4 successful reissues of this nature already, you have a bunch of paying customers that have been waiting for this for some time, don't quit on us now. Besides, this sits right in the middle of the albums you've already released like this, you can't leave a hole there.

Give us some Tale, damn it!

I've never heard the album myself. If it's Yes, may as well be Fragile. That's the only one I'm familiar with. I do have an unopened Relayer. Don't know if it's Blu-ray or dvd-audio.

Looks like she's overdue for an upper lip waxing.

Kickstart, petition, whatever it takes...gotta get Tales...sign me on!

Back