Dark Side of the Moog 11 DTS CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixamatt

Pete Namlook-Klaus Schulze Dark side of the Moog Box set 9-11 will be available June 3rd. This will include their last release in DTS 5.1 = The heart of our nearest star. Also an extra CD called Hamburg live.

Pete Namlook-Klaus Schulze Dark side of the Moog Box set 9-11 will be available June 3rd. This will include their last release in DTS 5.1 = The heart of our nearest star. Also an extra CD called Hamburg live.

I like Klause Schulze and always wanted some of Namlook's dts cds, thanks for the tip.:D

Is this ambient or syntish?

The piece is divided in three parts.

Part I is a little over 18 minutes long and is mainly comprised of a drum loop with various wooshy sounds and effects which is the main drive of the track for the first 10. Then a dark, evil and up to no good Moogy melody becomes the main focus of the track. It took me some time to warm to this one, but I really like it now. It's quite a moody piece.

Part II is 22 minutes long and is mostly driven by thick synth pads, arpeggiator loops (very analog sounding like Jean Michel Jarre) and long guitar wails (think of the guitar sound and texture Daryl Stuermer uses in Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight). This is the reason why I bought this CD. It's what made me a Namlook fan for life. It is my favourite track of the album and I would have loved a 60 minute version. :)

Part III is 16 and half minutes long is driven by a faster drum loop than Part I and feels a little like a naked club track which 10 minutes in transforms in a weird ambient blend of synth pads, spacey sounds and bird noises. It's the oddest of the three parts.

I hope this helps.

The artwork for the reissue is totally different from its original incarnation. The content of the disc is the same though.

Original cover:

The%20Dark%20Side%20Of%20The%20Moog%20XI%20Fax_zpsqgtj1luw.jpg

Reissue cover:

The%20Dark%20Side%20Of%20The%20Moog%20XI%20Mig_zpsqtf2csk9.jpg

Thanks a lot, certainly helps. Will look into this.

I think the cheaper option is to purchase the new set and if you're not interested in keeping the CDs, just list it for sale on Discogs with a mention that it does not contain the DTS CD. This is how I was able to score my copy. The owner didn't want the DTS CD. this helps you pay for the disc. It's a win/win scenario. :)

I was a fan of Namlook long before I realised that he released stuff in surround. So I was also aware of the prices his disc fetch. So I bought the box-set because it has the DTS CD of Dark Side Of The Moog for a price which doesn't require the sale of one kidney. I see his DTS releases as being the precursor to the ATMOS releases by Yello and Booka Shade. I've said elsewhere that I believe electronic music lends itself to surround. And this is another great example of it.

Back