"Brian's Corner" at NativeDSD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
A new edition of Brian's Corner on the Native DSD Music Blog.
In this column, an article highlighting ways to record and transfer music from LPs and Analog Tapes to Stereo and Multichannel Direct Stream Digital (DSD) music files up to DSD 256 (4x the SACD bit rate).

Recording to DSD - Native DSD Blog.jpg

http://blog.nativedsd.com/recording-music-analog-tape-lps-dsd/

Not sure if any of you know about this, I sure didn't (but then again I am not really into the classical genre at all - I probably should be though), but our own Brian Moura, long time Quad Fan and SACD/DSD moderator here at QQ, has a special place on the internet called "Brian's Corner" at nativeDSD

Brian has done A TON of stuff to get surround music out to the public over the past 40 years, with connections to the Columbia/Sony SQ program, the Sony SACD program, Audio Fidelity and MoFi's SACD programs, and is a huge supporter of DSD and DSD downloads. No one is more qualified that I know when it comes to this stuff. His industry connections are a who's who of surround sound proponents. He is a true surround pioneer and a huge asset to QQ.

So check out his "Corner". This is very cool!

http://blog.nativedsd.com/free-dsd-tracks-playing-multichannel-dsd-chopins-last-waltz/

Brian has done A TON of stuff to get surround music out to the public over the past 40 years, with connections to the Columbia/Sony SQ program, the Sony SACD program, Audio Fidelity and MoFi's SACD programs, and is a huge supporter of DSD and DSD downloads. No one is more qualified that I know when it comes to this stuff. His industry connections are a who's who of surround sound proponents. He is a true surround pioneer and a huge asset to QQ.

And the RCA/Panasonic/CD-4 Forum/QSI CD-4 folks like Lou Dorren, Jim Gabbert, John Eargle, Brad Miller, and John Woram.
Not to mention working with Larry Clifton on the Quad Incorporated catalog back in the day.... :)

Not sure if any of you know about this, I sure didn't (but then again I am not really into the classical genre at all - I probably should be though), but our own Brian Moura, long time Quad Fan and SACD/DSD moderator here at QQ, has a special place on the internet called "Brian's Corner" at nativeDSD

So check out his "Corner". This is very cool!

http://blog.nativedsd.com/free-dsd-tracks-playing-multichannel-dsd-chopins-last-waltz/

Thanks for the compliments, Jon. It's been a fun project.

I first crossed paths with Jared Sacks, Founder of Native DSD Music, during the early days of SACD and DSD when he was a beta tester for the formats.
And one of the first to record and release albums in the format with his Channel Classics record label based in The Netherlands.
I covered his Surround Sound SACD releases for High Fidelity Review as one of that publication's Senior News Editors.
An easy task since Jared records and releases almost all of his recordings in Surround Sound. (He always has.)

When Native DSD Music launched 5 years ago, he invited me to write for the website and later to become a Technical Advisor.
The Brian's Corner feature of the NativeDSD Blog comes out periodically when I have some free time to write one. (And when I'm not writing for Positive Feedback as an Associate Editor).

And speaking of Brian's Corner. be sure to check out the latest edition titled "In The DSD Studio" which includes information and video previews of the upcoming Stereo DSD + SACD release from Vanessa Fernandez "I Want You" featuring the songs of Marvin Gaye (I Want You), Michael Jackson (Billie Jean), Hall and Oates and others from Groove Note. And the upcoming Stereo and Surround Sound DSD release (not on SACD) from the Yuko Mabuchi Trio with JJ Kirkpatrick "A Tribute to Miles Davis" from Yarlung. Some fine music heading to market in the months ahead.

PS: Native DSD has seen an increase in sales for Jazz and Bossa Nova/Latin music in DSD. So they are releasing more of both in Stereo and Surround Sound DSD, including on their in-house "Just Listen" record label.
Once the Rock DSD sales (and requests) increase, I suspect there will be some Surround Sound DSD releases in that genre as well.

7-Ying-Tan-and-Michael-C-Ross-Listen-To-Track-by-Vanessa-Fernandez-e1533638743647.jpg

http://blog.nativedsd.com/in-the-dsd-studio/

Brian, be sure to talk up every time you write something. I am sure that there are many of us who would be interested in anything you put out there. Thanks again for all you do, for QQ, and for surround music - past and present.

The latest edition of Brian's Corner is a two-parter.

In part 1, I list my Top 10 Best DSD Releases at Native DSD Music along with Classical Music Reviewer Bill Dodd who adds 20 more.
Then in part 2, the Top 3 DSD Albums of the Year for 2018 (from a total of 300 DSD releases in 2018) are announced. Worth checking out if you want to sample some of the best DSD music of the year!

30 Nominations - DSD Albums of the Year for 2018 - 1200.jpg

30 Nominations for DSD Album of the Year from Brian Moura and Bill Dodd
http://blog.nativedsd.com/nativedsd-albums-of-the-year-2018/

And The Winners Are - 1200.jpg

2018 DSD Albums of the Year at Native DSD Music - Classical Guitar, Jazz, and Broadway Musical
http://blog.nativedsd.com/and-the-winners-are/

That was an impressive performance and the sound on my modest computer setup was even better(y)(y)

The good news is that the Yuko Mabuchi Trio Tribute to Miles Davis album was a live, direct to DSD 256 Stereo and DSD 256 Multichannel recording.
It's scheduled for release this Spring. I'm looking forward to it. :)

In the meantime, the trio's debut album is available in Stereo and Multichannel DSD at Native DSD Music.

Yuko Mabuchi Trio - YAR80161DSD - 450.jpg

https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/YAR80161DSD-yuko-mabuchi-trio

Last edited:
My latest article, in this case for Positive Feedback - A Return to Denver.
Highlights from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) Audio Show last October.

Interestingly, when RMAF returns in 2019 it will be in September (not October) and in Aurora, near the Denver Airport.
More details in the story.

https://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/a-return-to-denver-rmaf/

A new edition of "In The DSD Studio" is available today on the NativeDSD Blog.
It features news of several upcoming Stereo and Multichannel DSD releases, including a Gospel album in Multichannel and Stereo DSD 256 (not on SACD) from Yarlung that is due out on July 5th.

In The DSD Studio
Brian Moura, NativeDSD Technical Advisor

Last August we visited the DSD Studio to tell you about 3 upcoming albums being recorded for release in Direct Stream Digital (DSD). They were Yuko Mabuchi Plays Miles Davis with the Yuko Mabuchi Trio with JJ Kirkpatrick from Yarlung Artists, Drown by John Babel from TRPTK and I Want You by Vanessa Fernandez from Groove Note.

Now that all 3 of these albums have been released in DSD (and are available at the NativeDSD Music store), I thought it would be time to see what is happening In The DSD Studio. What I’ve found, as always, is that there are indeed some very interesting albums underway. So, let’s have a look at what is ahead in 2019.

Michelle Mayne-Graves & Lifeline Quartet – Lifeline: Music of the Underground Railroad
Yarlung Artists

A fine place to start is with Yarlung and their upcoming release from Michelle Mayne-Graves and the Lifeline Quartet. Yarlung Producer Bob Attiyeh and Special Advisor Billy Mitchell are the duo that brought the Yuko Mabuchi Trio to Yarlung and NativeDSD. So, it is only fitting that we start this edition of In The DSD Studio with their latest discovery – Michelle Mayne-Graves and the Lifeline Quartet.
NativeDSD Release Date: July 5th, 2019

The quartet brings gospel music and spiritual music from the Underground Railroad to life. In the Lifeline Quartet’s upcoming DSD release, Lifeline: Music of the Underground Railroad, they perform 12 spiritual songs including Down by The Riverside, Motherless Child, Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen and When The Saints Go Marching In.

To give you a taste of what is in store on this album, look (and listen) to this YouTube video of the quartet performing Wade In The Water. It’s a powerful track that demonstrates why this album has been much anticipated. When it arrives in DSD Stereo and DSD Multichannel, exclusively at NativeDSD, it really will be something special!

http://blog.nativedsd.com/in-the-dsd-studio-2/

I just want to add that Brian and I live in the same neck of woods and he was kind enough to stop by my shack one day and was key in getting me on my road to DSD downloads. My very first DSD download was Johnny Winter The Best Of.

Thanks. It was a pleasure to meet Mark in person and get him up and running with music files and downloads.
With his new exaSound e38, I'm sure there will be many hours of fine Stereo and Multichannel listening ahead!

Back