Beck, Bogert & Appice in SACD Surround Sound from Sony Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the Japanese have a nicer dub of the quad Wired album, and will plow forward with it on this series like it's still 1976.

It is nice that Sony Japan is keeping an eye on what is going on with AF and AP so far are reissuing SACDs that include 4.0 layer.

I think it's more likely that the two new Jeff Beck Multichannel SACD collector's edition was a result of the sales of the Sony Music Japan Anniversary edition Multichannel SACD of Blow by Blow.
The packaging and extras of the two new ones remind me a lot of that release.

I think it's more likely that the two new Jeff Beck Multichannel SACD collector's edition was a result of the sales of the Sony Music Japan Anniversary edition Multichannel SACD of Blow by Blow.
The packaging and extras of the two new ones remind me a lot of that release.

... or it's because of both of those factors. Why would it be one over the other?

Since these are releases for the Japanese market, that is more of a focus than what may be going on in the US.

For The Jeff Beck Group album, could Sony Japan be using different tape sources than Audio Fidelity have for their Quad SACD? I already love the AF. Apart from the packaging which is superb,could the Japan offer more sonically as well?

Simply BEAUTIFUL, rt. Thanks for sharing. Am really looking forward to this one! Seems SONY Japan has been reenergized by the QUADRAPHONIC Logo. Keep 'em comin' cause I'll keep buyin'

So can we have Beck, Bogert & Appice LIVE, Rough and Ready and Wired NEXT [ALL were remixed to QUAD]?

Wait, was BBA Live a Quad release? I've only seen Quad releases for "Rough & Ready" and "Wired", both of which I would also like Sony Japan to release as Multichannel SACDs, please. :)

Since these are releases for the Japanese market, that is more of a focus than what may be going on in the US.

Here's a question I have since this release is rather expensive.
I wonder what the chances are that Analogue Productions will follow their "Blow by Blow" and "Wired" SACDs with their own Multichannel SACD of "Beck, Bogert & Appice" at some point.
We have already seen them follow the 2014 SACD release of "Blow by Blow" with their own release this year, which is supposed to be sonically superior, so what's to prevent them from doing the same thing for BBA. It would be a much cheaper alternative for many of us, that is for sure…

The Japanese have always considered exports to be a big consideration in anything that they do concerning rock releases. It's the way they have always run and always will. Having dealt with Pony Canyon for distribution of a legacy act I worked with, the Japanese wanted the album a month before any other markets got it, and they wanted a bonus track not found on the US or European issue. The advance release was to prevent imports from flowing in, and the bonus track was to assure exports going out. Smart huh!

This is the reason I stated that they are watching what is going on with other labels in regards to the quad layer, etc. They will add a ton of color pictures and really market their product as the better one for collectors.

Its one I've almost bought on SQ LP a couple of times, so after some musing I decided to buy it from CDJapan and use up my 836 points to reduce the cost, I'll probably pay £20 in import taxes and fees, so with shipping its going to be around £70 as I'll be charged in Yen. Its not far off that in the UK, about £60, but the last time I had to wait 3 months before they got the SACD from the importers.

Here's a question I have since this release is rather expensive.
I wonder what the chances are that Analogue Productions will follow their "Blow by Blow" and "Wired" SACDs with their own Multichannel SACD of "Beck, Bogert & Appice" at some point.
We have already seen them follow the 2014 SACD release of "Blow by Blow" with their own release this year, which is supposed to be sonically superior, so what's to prevent them from doing the same thing for BBA. It would be a much cheaper alternative for many of us, that is for sure…

That could happen. Especially if the sales of the Blow by Blow and Wired SACDs are good for AP.

For The Jeff Beck Group album, could Sony Japan be using different tape sources than Audio Fidelity have for their Quad SACD? I already love the AF. Apart from the packaging which is superb,could the Japan offer more sonically as well?

They could use backup copies of the tapes that some labels use for an album's release in Japan vs. the original masters used by Audio Fidelity.
In such a case, it could offer less vs. more sonically.

Wait, was BBA Live a Quad release? I've only seen Quad releases for "Rough & Ready" and "Wired", both of which I would also like Sony Japan to release as Multichannel SACDs, please. :)

I'm not sure about the BBA Live.. but the Live With Jan Hammer album was supposedly mixed for Quad but unreleased..
interestingly the rear of the sleeve of the Jan Hammer Live LP gives a brief description of the stereo image showing whats' mixed to Left, Right and Centre (I had a copy in my hands the other week in a record store) which I suspect may have lead some to believe there was more to the LP than met the eye back in the 70's as I have seen a couple of suggestions that the regular LP was a stealth SQ-encode but you'd have to ask someone who has a copy and an SQ decoder to confirm either way.

Maybe fizzywiggs or steelydave have some info?

I'm not sure about the BBA Live.. but the Live With Jan Hammer album was supposedly mixed for Quad but unreleased..
interestingly the rear of the sleeve of the Jan Hammer Live LP gives a brief description of the stereo image showing whats' mixed to Left, Right and Centre (I had a copy in my hands the other week in a record store) which I suspect may have lead some to believe there was more to the LP than met the eye back in the 70's as I have seen a couple of suggestions that the regular LP was a stealth SQ-encode but you'd have to ask someone who has a copy and an SQ decoder to confirm either way.

Maybe fizzywiggs or steelydave have some info?

Check out the small print at the bottom:

"The stereo spectrum of this album duplicates the stage set-up with guitar positioned center right, keyboards center left, violin right & drums and bass center"

BBA Live Quad QQ Thread

QQ thread discussing the Japanese-only double LP set of BBA Live and possibility of SQ-encoding (OD returned negative findings)

I remember coming across the Japanese BBA Live, and no where did it indicate it was encoded as much as I wanted to be.

Sony Japan were not shy about indicating their quads, and promoting them. And I do believe they used a quad single inventory sales technique for the most part.

A bigger question would be as per those QUAD SACD jackets, is there SQ encoding in the stereo layer ?:rolleyes:

Back