Beck, Bogert & Appice in SACD Surround Sound from Sony Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would bet that this is going to be 4.0 quad, like the Blow by Blow, just using the quad master. The people putting the ad together are probably using the term '5.1' as a pseudonym for surround sound. To them anything surround is 5.1

Of course, I could be wrong but I can't imagine them creating a new mix of this album, and I doubt that DTS Entertainments "fake center channel" mix ever left their building. Tad would know for sure

It could be like the some of the Sony Music US Multichannel SACD releases (like Ship Ahoy by the O' Jays and 3+3 by the Isley Brothers) where the back of the Multichannel SACD album says:
"The 5.1 mix has been remastered and adapted from the original quadraphonic analog tapes, respecting and maintaining the original surround imaging."

As for the DTS 4 Channel Quad mix never leaving the DTS building, that's also unlikely since most licensing agreements with the record labels have the tapes going back to the record labels that license the albums so they can press the albums for the reissue label.

In any case, Sony Music probably has the original 1970's Quad 4 Channel Mix that would be used to create this release.

Could the price be correct?
It seems very high

Apparently it's one of those special packaging editions which seems to command a higher premium. TRULY makes one appreciate the efforts of Audio Fidelity for delivering the goods at half the price (and then some with further discounting).

....As for the DTS 4 Channel Quad mix never leaving the DTS building, that's also unlikely since most licensing agreements with the record labels have the tapes going back to the record labels that license the albums so they can press the albums for the reissue label.

I thought I remembered Tad saying that Sony gave Brad Miller the 4 channel mixes of the Columbia Quads that DTS issued on a Hi-8 or DAT tape, and Mobile Fidelity (the Brad Miller MF) took that source and created their own center channel because the market at the time was focused solely on 5.1 and quad was a bad name from the past.

Again, I could be wrong. Either way, I am sure that Sony retained the original quad mix but since they never released this title on SACD during their 2000-2004 SACD era, I don't see them doing it now for a Japanese release as this is not a mainstream high-profile title.

I'm sure they did. I remember talking with Brad about 4.0 and 5.1 Surround.
He was skeptical about the need for 5.1 but created the extra channels on his DTS releases based on market demand.

I'm sure they did. I remember talking with Brad about 4.0 and 5.1 Surround.
He was skeptical about the need for 5.1 but created the extra channels on his DTS releases based on market demand.

The DTS BB&A was released as a 20 bit (?) 5.1 release and IMO was NOT one of the better exemplars of other DTS Discs. On this one you really have to crank up the volume and although the spaciousness of the surrounds is intact, I'm sure the SONY Japanese QUAD reissue will be definitive. I've always loved this disc and am sure it will sonically be on par with Blow by Blow (the AP corrected phase edition).

As Jon pointed out, it was probably sourced from either DAT or Hi~8 which was at best 16 bit/44.1......and it sounds it.

Pre-orders have started to appear,

SpinCDs £59.99 https://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/live-giants-stadium-new-jersey-1978-cd-49542 (An odd but correct URL!)
CDJapan £31.20 (plus P&P, Import Duty/VAT) or US$45.18 +P&P http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10002

World's first SACD hybrid multi-ch x mini LP edition of "Beck, Bogert & Appice" is released from SONY Japan on July 20, 2016. The disc is divided in three layers as follows: SACD (5.1ch), SACD (2ch), and CD. The CD features 2 mix mastering, using 4ch master, for the first time. Digitally remastered. 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging.

3 layers. Must be something new. Some sort of dualdisc perhaps.

Pre-orders have started to appear,

SpinCDs £59.99 https://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/live-giants-stadium-new-jersey-1978-cd-49542 (An odd but correct URL!)
CDJapan £31.20 (plus P&P, Import Duty/VAT) or US$45.18 +P&P http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10002

World's first SACD hybrid multi-ch x mini LP edition of "Beck, Bogert & Appice" is released from SONY Japan on July 20, 2016. The disc is divided in three layers as follows: SACD (5.1ch), SACD (2ch), and CD. The CD features 2 mix mastering, using 4ch master, for the first time. Digitally remastered. 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging.

Let the pre-orders begin! :)

wait...

I feel like I'm in a Calvin and Hobbes strip....

Aren't the SH MCH (Quad) SACDs triple layer?
1-Stereo RBCD
2-Stereo SACD
3-MCH SACD

No.

A Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD as two layers and up to three sets of music tracks:
  • A CD Layer (Stereo or Mono), readable by CD, DVD, Blu Ray and SACD players
  • An SACD Layer with one (Stereo or Mono) or two (Stereo/Mono and Multichannel) sets of tracks

No.

A Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD as two layers and up to three sets of music tracks:
  • A CD Layer (Stereo or Mono), readable by CD, DVD, Blu Ray and SACD players
  • An SACD Layer with one (Stereo or Mono) or two (Stereo/Mono and Multichannel) sets of tracks

OK, so the SACD layer counts as two, since it has the stereo AND the MCH one...

I really want this title, but I feel like the price will be hard on my bank account no matter where I end up buying it from.
I guess I will look at who has it for preorder towards the beginning of July and go with the best price I can find at the time.
I definitely do not want my card charged now, since I'm still waiting on the Chicago set! :confused:

"The CD features 2 mix mastering..." Should this read, The SACD features features 2 mix mastering, or is there something special going on here? The wording is screwy, correct?

I really want this title, but I feel like the price will be hard on my bank account no matter where I end up buying it from.
I guess I will look at who has it for preorder towards the beginning of July and go with the best price I can find at the time.
I definitely do not want my card charged now, since I'm still waiting on the Chicago set! :confused:

CDJapan has just listed this title with NO infomation other than the release date of July 20th. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?term.media_format=&q=beck,+bogert+appice+SACD

Unless you have copious bonus points, with s/h it will be over $50US.

So Far, NO listing on ImportCD, Deep Discount nor AmazonUS.

I do want to replace my DTS RBCD version which was probably sourced from a 16 bit DAT or Hi~8 master but at MORE than double the price of what I usually purchase my AF QUAD SACDs for, it does make one think!

It also would've been nice if SONY included the 2 disc LIVE Beck, Bogert Appice set which would have made it very special (even if only as 2 Blu Spec RBCDs since it was never remixed to QUAD).....but that probably would've almost doubled the price.

"The CD features 2 mix mastering..." Should this read, The SACD features features 2 mix mastering, or is there something special going on here? The wording is screwy, correct?

Maybe it's short enough that they are including a quad downmix on the redbook.

Back