Beck, Bogert & Appice in SACD Surround Sound from Sony Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would bet that this is going to be 4.0 quad, like the Blow by Blow, just using the quad master. The people putting the ad together are probably using the term '5.1' as a pseudonym for surround sound. To them anything surround is 5.1

Of course, I could be wrong but I can't imagine them creating a new mix of this album, and I doubt that DTS Entertainments "fake center channel" mix ever left their building. Tad would know for sure

That entire press release struck me as a very rough Google translation into English.

But, it is more confirmation that the labels are seeing those old quad tapes as having value in this modern world. We've been seeing it a bit more in the last two years, but I think even in the last 6 to 8 months we are seeing more and more 70s quad masters being given their fresh new lease on life. I think it's for real now, they know now that it's not insulting to consider (70s Q mixes).

I look forward to the day when AF or AP are scrambling to license quad masters before Sony Japan get first dibs, and that there is a serious competition to get there first. The day when labels don't dare pass up on quad masters, or else face a new release that does feature it, making their expensive undertaking redundant. Maybe Sony Japan will drop us some Santana, or other artists we did not expect due to MFSL getting things tied up.

Now Sony Japan are also doing a Surround SACD of this...

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10003

Hmm... ;)

and the release dates are only a week apart...Hmm...different titles with release dates that are very close...conspiracy?...soiled linen?...colonel mustard in the conservatory with a candlestick?...call inspector Clouseau!

Nice find Adam(y)

The crazy thing about this surround hobby is the surprise element...one source seems to be going away and then BAM...another title comes from nowhere..out of the blue(I wish Jeff would release that ELO title in hi rez)...

and the release dates are only a week apart...Hmm...different titles with release dates that are very close...conspiracy?...soiled linen?...colonel mustard in the conservatory with a candlestick?...call inspector Clouseau!

Nice find Adam(y)

Well.. (continuing with your sleuthing metaphor!) no shit Sherlock! :D
I guess the Sony Japan Surround SACD of Blow By Blow sold fairly well, hence the new BBA SACD and now this upcoming release too? Could it be too much of a stretch to hope that Sony Japan might follow this up with Surround SACDs of "Rough & Ready" and "Wired"...? ;)

This is another album that I'd never heard before and I was expecting an instrumental set. Let's just say that I am pleasantly surprised and that I'm placing my order for this bad boy. I'm glad Sony Japan is releasing more Multichannel titles.

Won't this release mess with Audio Fidelity's sales? How much better can the Sony version be?

It could be from the Audio Fidelity DSD transfers.
And yes, it could impact the sales of the Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD.

It could be from the Audio Fidelity DSD transfers.
And yes, it could impact the sales of the Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD.

How bizarre. Audio Fidelity could license its transfers to Sony and recoup some of AF's costs incurred by the Surround programme seeing as sales weren't up to snuff..

Well.. (continuing with your sleuthing metaphor!) no shit Sherlock! :D
I guess the Sony Japan Surround SACD of Blow By Blow sold fairly well, hence the new BBA SACD and now this upcoming release too? Could it be too much of a stretch to hope that Sony Japan might follow this up with Surround SACDs of "Rough & Ready" and "Wired"...? ;)

Yeah, seriously, why on earth are Sony Japan reissuing "Jeff Beck Group" when they could go with "Rough & Ready" instead and sell more copies to us, the multichannel faithful?
(Apparently the Quad tapes for "Wired" are not in good shape, so I would not expect a Multichannel SACD of that one anytime soon.)

Yeah, seriously, why on earth are Sony Japan reissuing "Jeff Beck Group" when they could go with "Rough & Ready" instead and sell more copies to us, the multichannel faithful?
(Apparently the Quad tapes for "Wired" are not in good shape, so I would not expect a Multichannel SACD of that one anytime soon.)

It looks like they are going down the list of Jeff Beck quad albums, and going to get to Rough and Ready next. They just are announcing each title one by one, and not all at the same time. Patience my dear.

Won't this release mess with Audio Fidelity's sales? How much better can the Sony version be?

Well, the AF is out of print. Amazon sellers who are trying to get $45-$65 for the AF may be disappointed.

It looks like they are going down the list of Jeff Beck quad albums, and going to get to Rough and Ready next. They just are announcing each title one by one, and not all at the same time. Patience my dear.

Let's hope your logic is correct and that "Rough & Ready" will follow after these two.
Despite the high cost of these Japanese imports, I'll do my best to buy "Beck, Bogert & Appice" and "Rough & Ready" (if it indeed does come out as part of this SACD reissue series.)
I love both of the Jeff Beck SACDs I have, so hopefully more will be just as good! :)

Just in the off chance that someone from Sony Japan may be lurking around these parts, allow me to extend my most sincere thanks for the efforts that the company is making in releasing some of these Multichannel mixes. Domo Arigato and Thank you very much! :)

Well I guess as usual the MultiCh is seen as more of a bonus rather than the main event (gasp, maybe the old Quad was even an afterthought back when they did the 7inch replica SACD of Blow By Blow!?)... so perhaps their marketing strategy is aimed more at the humongous by comparison Stereo market or Collectors scene, I dunno?

As for "Wired".. there may be more than one source for the Quad, like a safety copy/back up Quad tape might just be held in the vaults.. but maybe was deemed unsuitable by AF because not the actual Master (which, as you say, is also said to be unusable) but Sony may have the Wired Quad in a format like one of the DAT transfers used by Miller-Nevada for their DTS CDs and somebody will have the chutzpah/nerve to use that..?
Personally I'd be quite happy with a Quad "Wired" Surround SACD from such a DAT source but I realise it may be more of a bone of contention for some...

Sony Japan may very well have their own vault copy of "Wired".It would seem silly that they would rely on Columbia Records U.S. copies as a sole source.

Sony Japan may very well have their own vault copy of "Wired".It would seem silly that they would rely on Columbia Records U.S. copies as a sole source.

Well Safety Copies of old Quads (not Sony titles) have appeared on eBay etc over the years so it is very possible there's Safety's of some of the Columbia/Epic & assoc label Quads, imho.. I agree fizzy! :upthumb

Back