Audio Fidelity Platinum Slipcovers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I don't really like special packaging. I don't even like those silly slipcases AF uses.

I don't really like special packaging. I don't even like those silly slipcases AF uses.

The AF slipcases don't bother me but the special packaging is fluff that only adds to the cost and contributes to the debris field in one's music storage collection. I still prefer SACDs in SACD cases but unfortunately they seem to be more fragile than well machined RBCD cases....and as we all know even RBCD cases can be crappy (like the "eco~friendly" blu ray cases with the cutouts).

What's even MORE intolerable and I'm sure we're all in agreement here is the crappy shipping containers utilized by Deep Discount/ImportCD......but the caveat here: their prices can't be beat so they go on the cheap with their flimsy "recycled" mailing envelopes. ECO friendly but hazardous to your precious disc cases. Bring Back Bubble Wrap. I still love the snap, crackle and pop:bounce17 of bubble wrap....in the morning.:sun

That is an easy one to answer.

The reason Audio Fidelity uses Platinum color slipcases for their Multichannel SACD releases - and Gold color slipcases for their Stereo SACD releases - is that it makes them stand out and easier to find when their discs are displayed with others at a music store or an audio show.

It works. When I have shopped for their SACDs, you can see where they are in a large selection of SACDs immediately.
Very clever.

Audio Fidelity... SACD... discs.. displayed with others at a music store...

Are there stores with SACDs? Are they just in Chicago, LA, or New York?

I prefer standard SACD cases too. They have a nicer feel than CD cases, and so many DVD-A cases have different shapes and sizes. Although, I have bought into DVDA for the car system and would prefer everything to be on that format.

I prefer standard SACD cases too. They have a nicer feel than CD cases, and so many DVD-A cases have different shapes and sizes. Although, I have bought into DVDA for the car system and would prefer everything to be on that format.

I prefer the DVD~A format, as well, but unless they come with a RBCD (which I'm really NOT interested in), the general public needs that reasurance that they're compatible with their standard RBCD player....thus the hybrid SACD.

Ever since November of last year, I have seen some of the Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs in the racks at Grimey's, a local music shop in Nashville (the best IMHO) so yes, they do get out there into brick-and-mortar stores. That also happens to be the place where I purchased both my "Loggins & Messina" and "Birds of Fire" SACDs, and that was a great double whammy, picking up two great SACDs while also contributing to the business of a great store in the process! :)

I don't really care about the slip covers (small amount of concern they'd get damaged at the front) nor the box. Standard size box, easy to store and more importantly - some good stuff getting released. We live quite the charmed life when we can complain about a small piece of cardboard.

and of course, the NUMBER of the limited edition is on those covers!!!! (not that I care because I'm positive that they are not numbered in the same manufacturing order-the FIRST SACD is not going to be no.1...could be no. 302 ...but I guess it would make the packaging process way easier....)

Yeah, I'd prefer DVD-A too but "that's what the ship brought in"....I understand because they can fit the RBCD Stereo mix, the SACD Stereo mix AND the MCH mix in one disc...as opposed to a DVD-A, which would cost a tad more because it'd have to be TWO discs instead of one...
As it is, my guess is that it's already really expensive to manufacture (licenses, etc.)...hence the $30 USD list price...

As it is, my guess is that it's already really expensive to manufacture (licenses, etc.)...hence the $30 USD list price...

The $30 list price covers the guarantee payments to the record label and recording artist (Audio Fidelity has to pay that amount regardless of whether the album sells well or not), cost for transfers from the tapes to SACD, art work, manufacture of the SACDs by the record label (Audio Fidelity buys the finished SACDs from the record labels as part of the licensing agreement), marketing, distribution, etc.

So manufacturing is in there - but there are a number of other expenses that must be covered as well in the price.

Today some listeners are paying $40 to $65 for albums on Stereo LP and up to $895 for an album on Stereo Analog Tape.
In comparison, $30 for an upgraded edition of these classic albums in Stereo CD, Stereo SACD and Surround Sound SACD is a deal.

The $30 list price covers the guarantee payments to the record label and recording artist (Audio Fidelity has to pay that amount regardless of whether the album sells well or not), cost for transfers from the tapes to SACD, art work, manufacture of the SACDs by the record label (Audio Fidelity buys the finished SACDs from the record labels as part of the licensing agreement), marketing, distribution, etc.

So manufacturing is in there - but there are a number of other expenses that must be covered as well in the price.

Today some listeners are paying $40 to $65 for albums on Stereo LP and up to $895 for an album on Stereo Analog Tape.
In comparison, $30 for an upgraded edition of these classic albums in Stereo CD, Stereo SACD and Surround Sound SACD is a deal.

The reality is that few US customers even pay $30...unless they don't shop around or don't belong to this forum....prices are very reasonable...in my case I would buy the discs if they were in a plain old paper bag...I'm just in it for the music...don't care about the aesthetics..

The reality is that few US customers even pay $30...unless they don't shop around or don't belong to this forum....prices are very reasonable...in my case I would buy the discs if they were in a plain old paper bag...I'm just in it for the music...don't care about the aesthetics..

Very true. $30 is the list price. You can find the SACDs for less.
And Audio Fidelity is just as happy making a sale via a discounted web site price as they are when it sells for $30. :)

The artwork mock-up for this showed up on Amazon today - it scared me for a second because it doesn't have the usual red circle proclaiming quad or 4.0 or anything, but you'll notice on the disc itself it says 'Hybrid Multichannel' and has an AFZ5 catalog number. Tentative cause for celebration?

How many of these scoops do I have to post before I can change my username to steelybmoura? ;)

boc.jpg

The artwork mock-up for this showed up on Amazon today - it scared me for a second because it doesn't have the usual red circle proclaiming quad or 4.0 or anything, but you'll notice on the disc itself it says 'Hybrid Multichannel' and has an AFZ5 catalog number. Tentative cause for celebration?

How many of these scoops do I have to post before I can change my username to steelybmoura? ;)

View attachment 26651

Even for a mock-up, it looks great!

I think it looks better without the red circle, which may in fact have scared away prospective buyers who were not quite sure just what the heck it meant. We knew, but others could be clueless.

This looks much more professional, and less K-Tel.

View attachment 26651

Thanks for the scoop, steelybmoura! :upthumb
The Collection & Laura Nyro AF SACDs got no red circle and it didn't stop em being (largely) Quad triumphs! :eek:
Think it looks classier without all those big red blobs all over the shop anyway :p

I think it looks better without the red circle, which may in fact have scared away prospective buyers who were not quite sure just what the heck it meant. We knew, but others could be clueless.

This looks much more professional, and less K-Tel.

With you all the way! K-Tel.. haha.. i'm still hopeful AF might do another Quad collection one day down the line (red blobs or no red blobs!) with some more artists they either can't do complete albums for, or as teasers of artists possibly to come like BOC!

Can't say enough how super happy I am about AF working their magic on the "Secret Treaties" Quad, easily one of the most played out of all the Columbia/Epic SQ records I wore the grooves out of last year & earlier this year, its weird and wonderful and nicely balanced surround mixes imho!

Back