Sony STR-DN1070 AV Receiver with 5.1 Multichannel Native DSD 5.6 MHz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Sony's newest AV Receiver includes a DAC that plays Native DSD in Stereo and Multichannel up to DSD 5.6Mhz (DSD 128) as well as Stereo and Multichannel WAV and FLAC files.
Price is $599 - now available at Best Buy, ABT and Amazon.

Sony STR-DN1070 AV Receiver with Multichannel DSD 128.jpg

http://www.sony.com/electronics/av-receivers/str-dn1070
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7-...er-black/4919214.p?id=bb4919214&skuId=4919214
http://positive-feedback.com/audio-...ceiver-5-1-multichannel-dsd-5-6-mhz-playback/

Did you ever wonder why Sony AVR so much less expensive than other brands and I have and I can't figure it out

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

I'm from Malaysia, let me say that these babies ain't cheap here. Most AVRs are made in China now, correct me if i'm wrong :)
Anyway...if this AVR can play hires FLAC or DSD from an external Hdd, it would be a dream all in one machine for me, minus disc playback of course.

Anyway...if this AVR can play hires FLAC or DSD from an external Hdd, it would be a dream all in one machine for me, minus disc playback of course.

The spec sheet says the receiver plays DSD and FLAC via USB input (on the front panel) or DLNA (across a home network).
So I'm guessing that means it works like the Oppo 103 and 105 - taking music files from a USB Hard Drive or Jump Drive.

Mind you: We've yet to see an AVR which is capable of playing MCH Files in either DSD or Flac straight from USB. And I'd be surprised if this entry-level Sony does exactly that, which no High-End AVR currently can.

Mind you: We've yet to see an AVR which is capable of playing MCH Files in either DSD or Flac straight from USB. And I'd be surprised if this entry-level Sony does exactly that, which no High-End AVR currently can.

Looks to me like you've now seen such a product - with Multichannel DSD 128 and Multichannel FLAC from USB.

Looks to me like you've now seen such a product - with Multichannel DSD 128 and Multichannel FLAC from USB.

That would be an awesome feat if it's true. I am just very mindful about these advertisements. My Marantz SR6009 stated "full" and "direct" Hi-Res FLAC and DSD Playback via USB as well, but wouldn't recognize MCH Files. Same with about any DSD and FLAC capable Blu-Ray-Player I tried to date.

With this I am a tiny bit more hopeful that their flagship player can pull MCH off as well. Because why would Sony introduce such a killer feature in their entry-level machine, but not in its Hi-End BD-Player? ;-)

With this I am a tiny bit more hopeful that their flagship player can pull MCH off as well. Because why would Sony introduce such a killer feature in their entry-level machine, but not in its Hi-End BD-Player? ;-)

Sony would do that because their receiver can play Multichannel DSD and FLAC files while the Blu Ray disc player's primary function is as a disc player, not a music downloads player.

Back