Where to get parts for modification

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
So, today I started working on the fostex. I've been planning on a few modifications for a while. First, I never liked that the 2 heads weren't exactly the same, and one is slightly brighter than the other, so a while ago after talking to a guy with a transfer studio that has some modified sony machines with Nortronics Q8 heads on them, I found a pair of Nortronics heads on ebay and grabbed them. When I last used it, after much use of adjusting the head, the azimuth adjustment screw broke off. I tried to drill it out, but it didn't quite work exactly and left me without the ability to have the head properly mounted anymore.

So, it seems it is time to work on the modifications.

Luckily, the erase head was still sitting in the unit, which gives me a spare mounting part. So, I've managed to remove the heads, modify my new heads to be mountable, and now I'm ready to put things together. Except, these heads came with these connectors to crimp on the end of the wires, to slide on the pins on the heads. Which, seems like a good idea, rather than dealing with soldering directly to the pins and possibly damaging my new (old stock) heads.

Except that they are FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE to crimp such a tiny part on such thin wire properly, and I've already destroyed more of these stupid things than I have successfully crimped on.

Where would one pick these up? They are exactly like what you find on a headshell for a turntable. If I could buy a case of like 1,000 of them, perhaps I'd manage to get 16 crimped successfully before running out. I just don't know where to find such a thing.

I'm not finding the right type of connectors on that site, but thanks, I'll keep looking there and see if something comes up.

Ok...had a chance to breath.....

I am in too deep. I know what needs to be done to finish this project, but I do not have the soldering skills, steady hand, or supply for the right parts to do this. I need help.

Anyone in the New England area good with a soldering iron and electronics?

Hi. ArmyOfQuad

I think you are doing the right thing, I use to do the od fix on my gear but like you my soldering and patients are lacking now it can get expensive when you do a cock up so bite the bullet & find a pro???

Ok...had a chance to breath.....

I am in too deep. I know what needs to be done to finish this project, but I do not have the soldering skills, steady hand, or supply for the right parts to do this. I need help.

Anyone in the New England area good with a soldering iron and electronics?

I have seen boards that have posts with solid wire attached in a spiral to them.

Maybe a short lead of solid wire soldered to regular braided wire can do the trick, perhaps temporarily.

Found this engineering data on your new heads and thought you might find it informative. There is a good picture showing how to solder wires to the contacts that fit the head. See figure 1 and section 5. Also has the pin-out for the head.

Nortronics_1966a_Page_1.jpg
Nortronics_1966a_Page_2.jpg
Nortronics_1966a_Page_3.jpg
Nortronics_1966a_Page_4.jpg
Nortronics_1966a_Page_5.jpg

Back