Deep Purple's Machine Head in Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
How about Machine Head by Deep Purple?
BUT, I'm talking about the original Warner quadraphonic 4.0 version that was released on CD-4, Q4, and Q8.
NOT the totally remixed 5.1 version released on DVD-A. Nor am I asking for the totally remixed European version that was released on SACD.
The original and best Warner version has never been released in a modern format.

BUT, I'm talking about the original Warner quadraphonic 4.0 version that was released on CD-4, Q4, and Q8.
NOT the totally remixed 5.1 version released on DVD-A. Nor am I asking for the totally remixed European version that was released on SACD.
The original and best Warner version has never been released in a modern format.

But it's still an album that's already been released twice on Multichannel SACD.
Audio Fidelity is mainly looking for titles that have not been released on SACD before so that way they have a broader chance of selling their SACDs to both stereo and Multichannel SACD buyers.

I think there are certain titles that are such evergreen catalog sellers they 'break the rules' AF set for themselves, and Machine Head is probably one of them. Blood Sweat & Tears II also had two previous SACD releases but that didn't prevent AF from reissuing their own version.

AF also did a (now out of print) gold CD of Machine Head in 2010 so it's definitely been a title that's been on their radar. Upgrading it to SACD would seem like a sensible way of continuing to be able to sell it.

I also agree with surroundophile that the Warner Bros. US quad mix is the better of the two quad mixes, and it's also longer than the EMI quad mix which has a part of the guitar solo chopped out of Lazy, I think. Presumably this was to make the two sides of the album equal length for Q8 playback.

This wouldn't be a super-exciting title for me personally, but it seems like the kind of release that would cater to their customer base, especially on the side that buys these discs for the stereo layer. I could see them doing the same with a reissue of Billion Dollar Babies as well - the original issue is out-of-print now, so reissuing it with a quad layer would be a way to keep it in print for them for a few more years plus sell some extra copies to the quad collector market.

According to my Machine Head SACD (on EMI) they used "the original quadraphonic mix from 1972"

I'd much prefer that Audio Fidelity concentrate on UNRELEASED Quad titles and NOT replicate past 5.1 or 4.0 remasters. I love Machine Head but it's already had 2 mch releases.

One never knows when this cornucopia of riches will expire since the majors keep threatening to pull the plug on physical disc manufacturing........although you can't prove it by me.

And there remains hundreds upon hundreds of worthy contenders that have previously only had Q8 or vinyl releases........http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm

According to my Machine Head SACD (on EMI) they used "the original quadraphonic mix from 1972"

There are two different quad mixes of Machine Head - the one on the SACD is the one done by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios in 1972 for EMI. This was released by EMI everywhere they distributed quad outside of North America (at the very least the UK and Europe, and maybe Australia and Japan?) on SQ vinyl and in some places Q8. I used to have a UK Q8 of it so it was definitely released there.

For the US and Canada, Warner Bros. held the rights to the album and did their own quad mix (mixer uncredited) of the album which was released in 1974 on LP, Q8 and quad reel. I don't know if they did their remix because EMI wouldn't share the tapes of their quad mix, or if WB felt that the EMI quad mix wasn't up to their standards or what, but Machine Head stands out as a pretty unique curiosity in that there are two different quad mixes of it released. I can't think of any other bands that had new quad mixes done for different territories - even the Pink Floyd quad mixes were shared between different record companies in the UK (EMI) and US (Capitol), and despite the fact that the Capitol (US) releases of Dark Side and Atom Heart Mother used bad SQ decodes for the Q8 versions, they were still derived from the same original mixes.

So what surroundophile says is correct, the Warner Bros. quad mix of Machine Head has never been released on any modern format.

There are two different quad mixes of Machine Head - the one on the SACD is the one done by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios in 1972 for EMI. This was released by EMI everywhere they distributed quad outside of North America (at the very least the UK and Europe, and maybe Australia and Japan?) on SQ vinyl and in some places Q8. I used to have a UK Q8 of it so it was definitely released there.

For the US and Canada, Warner Bros. held the rights to the album and did their own quad mix (mixer uncredited) of the album which was released in 1974 on LP, Q8 and quad reel. I don't know if they did their remix because EMI wouldn't share the tapes of their quad mix, or if WB felt that the EMI quad mix wasn't up to their standards or what, but Machine Head stands out as a pretty unique curiosity in that there are two different quad mixes of it released. I can't think of any other bands that had new quad mixes done for different territories - even the Pink Floyd quad mixes were shared between different record companies in the UK (EMI) and US (Capitol), and despite the fact that the Capitol (US) releases of Dark Side and Atom Heart Mother used bad SQ decodes for the Q8 versions, they were still derived from the same original mixes.

So what surroundophile says is correct, the Warner Bros. quad mix of Machine Head has never been released on any modern format.

Steelydave, perhaps this may answer your question as to who remixed the Rhino DVD~Audio of Machine Head http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/machine-head-dvd-audio-mr0001397777/credits

Paul Klingberg. http://www.paulklingberg.com/

The DVD~A also contains a bonus track: When a Blind Man Cries and two videos (480p) of Lazy and Highway Star.

Steelydave, perhaps this may answer your question as to who remixed the Rhino DVD~Audio of Machine Head http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/machine-head-dvd-audio-mr0001397777/credits

Paul Klingberg. http://www.paulklingberg.com/

The DVD~A also contains a bonus track: When a Blind Man Cries and two videos (480p) of Lazy and Highway Star.

Klingberg's mix was in 1999, and the WB mix was in 1974.....so I doubt it was Klingberg who I think was accessed by dolby labs as was John Kellogg.It was most likely someone associated with WEA'S preferred mixer's from the 70's.

Klingberg's mix was in 1999, and the WB mix was in 1974.....so I doubt it was Klingberg who I think was accessed by dolby labs as was John Kellogg.It was most likely someone associated with WEA'S preferred mixer's from the 70's.

Regarding Machine Head, since, AFAIK, ALL Warner/Rhino DVD~As were 5.1, perhaps it WAS Klingberg who used the Warner's 1974 CD~4 QUAD masters and tweaked them for 5.1 rather than create an original 5.1 remaster from scratch. Only a guess!

Regarding Machine Head, since, AFAIK, ALL Warner/Rhino DVD~As were 5.1, perhaps it WAS Klingberg who used the Warner's 1974 CD~4 QUAD masters and tweaked them for 5.1 rather than create an original 5.1 remaster from scratch. Only a guess!

Wow, I didn't think this would spawn a thread all to it's self!

Anyway, according to the booklet included in the 5.1 mix Warner DVD-A, last page, "Surround Sound Remix Engineerd & Remixed by Paul Klingberg at Magna Vision Studios, Santa Monica, Ca."

IMHO, the original Warner 4.0 quad mix on CD4/Q4/Q* is the best. The European EMI mix on SQ vinyl and SACD is good. At the bottom is the 5.1 Warner remixed DVD-A version. It's mostly front-centric, with mostly ambient rears, like a live concert. While there are moments of discreet music in the surrounds, it's nothing like the original Waners nor EMI mixes.

It was reported here that the mix in the box set was the EMI mix.

Also, for those that don't know, the Warner's 5.1 DVD-A s of The Doobie Brother's "The Captain and Me" and Carly Simon's "No Secrets" were also remixed in the same way, making them front-centric.

I new to the vintage quad thing. I saw the two disc 2012 4oth Anniversary reissue in the local bins. What setting do I use on the second "Quad SQ Stereo" CD. Is it a stereo CD or am I supposed to engage Pro-Logic or some other surround mode?

Thanks in advance, Michael

I new to the vintage quad thing. I saw the two disc 2012 4oth Anniversary reissue in the local bins. What setting do I use on the second "Quad SQ Stereo" CD. Is it a stereo CD or am I supposed to engage Pro-Logic or some other surround mode?

Thanks in advance, Michael
buy it! we will figure out what it is.

With all these posts I thought I haven't listened to the SACD in a while so I did today, its still really good, even "Smoke On The Water", tracks 1-7 are only the original Quad (4.0 tape used to produce the SQ LP?), 8-10 are 'new' 5.1 mixes. I haven't listened to my SQ LP in years, no decoder so I could only use DD ProII Music (which works reasonably well). The back of the SACD booklet below,

DeepPurple_MH.jpg

I'm a fan of the SQ UK , SACD mix...
also am starting to dig Roger's remix from a few years ago! (That is included in the Box set)

I have the Warner Archive Japan SACD PRCR-14166. It has the main album and When a Blind Man Cries all in 5.1. I assume this is the same as the DVD-Audio 5.1 mix? Center channel definitely used. It does not have the other 2 bonus tracks that are on the DVD-Audio.
I also have the 40th Anniversary box set which has the main album in 4.1 (liner notes say from an EMI quad mix) and bonus tracks in 5.1 (assume from the DVD-Audio)

So, I assume between the SACD main tracks and the bonus 5.1 tracks from the 40th anniversary set, I have everything that is on the DVD-Audio except the videos of course.

So, I assume between the SACD main tracks and the bonus 5.1 tracks from the 40th anniversary set, I have everything that is on the DVD-Audio except the videos of course.

You are correct Sir.

The 2nd disc on the newer 2 cd set is stereo only it will not decode in quad......sorry.

As regards the "Quad SQ Stereo" CD" included in the 2012 box set of Machine Head , it is a fold-down of the EMI quad mix from 1972.. The box also includes on a DVD disc the EMI quad mix repurposed to 4.1

As regards what constitutes the 'original' quad mix, the EMI quad mix came first in 1972, then the Warner quad mix in 1974, as steelydave notes.

Back