Deep Purple's Machine Head in Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As regards the "Quad SQ Stereo" CD" included in the 2012 box set of Machine Head , it is a fold-down of the EMI quad mix from 1972.. The box also includes on a DVD disc the EMI quad mix repurposed to 4.1

As regards what constitutes the 'original' quad mix, the EMI quad mix came first in 1972, then the Warner quad mix in 1974, as steelydave notes.

I'm not so sure the UK quad (Sq and Q8) were really released in 1972. 1972 is the Copyright year for MH, stereo, but if the Q8 MH would had been released in 1972 it would have a colour slick on the cart, not the b/w that were common by late 1973/early 1974 (for example, DSOTM).
One will need to look at a EMI catalogue to be sure of that.

EDIT: images.

1) early (1972) EMI UK Q8 slick. Never seen MH with that kind of configuration.

q8-showboat.jpg

2) later (1974) EMI UK Q8 cover and slick. MH does have these. Please note this is a second Q8 edition of Space Experience (it does exist also as 1) and it list 1972 as release year.

R-9441301-1480645128-2003.jpeg.jpg

R-9441301-1480645127-7827.jpeg.jpg

I don't have it to hand right now, but in my research I came across a 1972 issue of Billboard about EMI UK getting in to quad (SQ vinyl anyway) and it mentioned Machine Head as one of the titles that were due for release.

I have a few of those EMI UK tapes (John Keating etc.) and I've seen other copies of those tapes in different shells/with different slipcases/artwork, so it's possible they redesigned the label graphics to match whatever the current style was at the time.

The other possibility is that the Q8 didn't come out for a year or two after the LP which would account for the slightly later-era graphic design. It can't have been that much later though (ie '73 at the latest) because by '74/'75 they were using the design you see on the UK Q8's of Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother and Dark Side Of The Moon.

Back