Sony has sold (dumped) Sound Forge and Vegas to MAGIX

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
"Sony Creative Software Inc. ("SCS") is pleased to announce that MAGIX Software GmbH (“MAGIX”) has purchased substantially all of the software products and other assets of SCS (“SCS Assets”)."

I received the above in an email today concerning privacy rights and other stuff, but the bottom line is that these two (and other) audio/video programs that were founder by SONIC FOUNDRY and advanced further by Sony are now in the hands of MAGIX.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photog...oduction-suite-software-magi/#:j6n_9ThszYPQyA

I have been using Sound Forge since Version 4, and Vegas since it came out as Vegas Audio. I am hoping that MAGIX does a good job with these and updates them into lean mean 64bit audio machines! :smokin

Ya never know, but again it seems like purchased software is going to be a thing of the past and the future will be programs that we all 'rent' every year.

Only time will tell.

perhaps not at all. their purchase most likely to expand their market share by absorbing Sony's competing products and consumer base for these.
at least that what is modern meaning for "merger" term in corporate world.
i use Audition since it was Cool Edit and luckily Adobe didn't had audio appz at time of acquisition of Cool Edit.

I think you are right Jon, they would all like us to rent their stuff every year for obvious reasons, I have been surprised that many still do updates for their software as opposed to forced repurchase.
I hate Sony almost as much as I hate Apple (music applications), but I too am a Soundforge user due to it's seamless incorporation of pro tools and a custom audio program that was given to me by "he who must not be named" Unfortunately for me I must stay with SF 10 because of my plug ins and my love of DVDA. I originally had Audition and it too worked well with pro tools until it updated once and then I had issues.

I think you are right Jon, they would all like us to rent their stuff every year for obvious reasons, I have been surprised that many still do updates for their software as opposed to forced repurchase.
I hate Sony almost as much as I hate Apple (music applications), but I too am a Soundforge user due to it's seamless incorporation of pro tools and a custom audio program that was given to me by "he who must not be named" Unfortunately for me I must stay with SF 10 because of my plug ins and my love of DVDA. I originally had Audition and it too worked well with pro tools until it updated once and then I had issues.

I hear you. I love using Sound Forge (I prefer 10 over 11), and although I was an original owner of Cool Edit Pro and went through all of the Adobe Audition versions up until CS6, the only real thing I used AA for was for running the SQ scripts from kempfand and such. In fact just the other day I fired up AA 5.5 to use the spectrum display of AA and the program will not even start. I went to their website and there is no support for it whatsoever (I sorta knew that), so I guess we'll have to nurse SF 10 through future computer upgrades as they go.

MAGIX is planning on continuing Vegas but I do not see anything about them doing anything with Sound Forge.

PS - If "he who must not be named" is OD, then go ahead and name him. I have no issues with him at present. He is a very knowledgeable fellow and has done much with his SQ scripts.

Oh too funny Jon. not OD. someone who is professional in the music business, who most would know, and who would probably shoot me if I were to spill.

My "Sonic Foundry" experience mirror's Jon's; I did visit the actual headquarters in Madison WI in 2002 but there wasn't much to see. Then SONY bought them and it's been mixed, mostly okay experience.

I also prefer SF 10 over SF 11, especially once I knew I could still run SF 10 under WIN 8.1. (don't like that upper waveform window always in my face) Started with VEGAS Audio and Vegas 12 or 13 here depending on O/S of the machine. I also have been using ACID almost since inception and have made hundreds of song projects with it. SF 10 and ACID 7.0 work so well I'm not concerned too concerned about updates; Vegas has to change to keep up with video advancements.

Hope the new squad treats us well.

Back