Blood, Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits: Audio Fidelity Stereo SACD (July 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Wow! I'll get BS&T 'Greatest Hits' big time! Thanks AF!

A question then some statements regarding the upcoming SACD release of BS&T Greatest Hits.
Obviously we have "BS&T (II)" as a Quadraphonic SACD, but are the mixes/edits different on the Greatest Hits than they are on the original album?

Next, keep in mind that even though we also have "Child is Father to the Man" as a Multichannel SACD, that one is a modern 5.1 surround mix, whereas the songs from that album included on this Greatest Hits are 70s Quad mixes, so the mixes for those will be different, even though the material is the same.
Finally on the BS&T front, I've come to enjoy having surround sound greatest hits collections for certain artists as it does collect together a lot of the best material on one disc, so I'll get this disc not only for the exclusive songs/mixes, but because I'll enjoy having that nice mix of early BS&T together on one disc to enjoy.

As for L&M, if it's as good as their self-titled album, I'm definitely in for that one too! :)

Just so we're all clear on the BST-GREATEST HITS quad mix. This is different than the self titled disc as it contains "radio edits".Some of the tunes are shorter, but if you're familiar with the radio tunes, you will notice a difference.

We discussed this "Greatest Hits" disc around the same time as the quad SACD was released, and a number of members actually preferred the radio edits for familiarity reasons and I do believe a couple of tunes are different (mixes), versions, etc.(y)

I will definitely buy this SACD QUAD disc as I enjoy the difference/takes.:D

Why is that? I thought AF released plenty of SACD that are 2 channel only...like Leon Russell or Sittin In, etc.

Because the two you mentioned were never released in Quad, hence why they were stereo-only SACDs.
These two titles that are being released in July were originally released in Quad, so it would make no sense if they were released as stereo-only.

Next, keep in mind that even though we also have "Child is Father to the Man" as a Multichannel SACD, that one is a modern 5.1 surround mix, whereas the songs from that album included on this Greatest Hits are 70s Quad mixes, so the mixes for those will be different, even though the material is the same.

This is an excellent point that I hadn't considered. Put it on the "Will Buy" list!

All this is great news! Greatest Hits was one of the first albums I decoded in Audition. I've bought everything MC from AF of course over the months.

The other thing of interest on Blood, Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits SACD is the "not released anywhere else" in Quadtaphonic of these songs from Blood, Sweat & Tears 3 & 4:

Blood, Sweat & Tears 3: "Hi-De-Ho" and "Lucretia Mac Evil."

Blood, Sweat & Tears 4: "Go Down Gamblin" and "Lisa, Listen to Me."

Since sales have always been winners here for Blood, Sweat & Tears, perhaps "If" complete Quad mixes of Blood, Sweat & Tears 3 & 4 ever existed and might be found, would be worthy titles to release.

Greatest Hits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(Blood,_Sweat_&_Tears_album)

Blood, Sweat & Tears 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood,_Sweat_&_Tears_3

Blood, Sweat & Tears 4: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood,_Sweat_&_Tears_4

Last edited:
I have a question for those of you who are familiar with both the 5.1 and Quad mixes of the songs from Child Is The Father To Man. Which ones do you prefer and what do you like/dislike the most about those two mixes?

I'm repeating myself here, but I'm really looking forward to this Quad SACD.

I have a question for those of you who are familiar with both the 5.1 and Quad mixes of the songs from Child Is The Father To Man. Which ones do you prefer and what do you like/dislike the most about those two mixes?

I'm repeating myself here, but I'm really looking forward to this Quad SACD.
When it comes to quad vs. 5.1 on that album it's not really an easy answer cause BST Greatest Hits has only 2 tracks from that album in quad.I like other tunes from "Child" and think Al Kooper outdid himself in 5.1 mixing.

Pic of tunes from quad greatest hits, for reference.

20160520_180134.jpg

I never had Mike Robins QUAD RR for comparison though.

I like the released quad mix of I Can't Quit Her better than the 5.1 mix. (The Robin reel of CIFTTM has yet another, inferior quad mix).

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this is a mistake.

wtf.jpg

This will be one big fat "no sale" for me.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this is a mistake.

wtf.jpg

This will be one big fat "no sale" for me.

Yikes, indeed! Where did you find this picture?
I will also not buy this disc if it is stereo-only, but at least that gives me more money I can put towards "Full Sail".
This was originally a Quadraphonic title, so I'm puzzled as to why this SACD is not following suit. :( :mad: :violin

Yikes, indeed! Where did you find this picture?
I will also not buy this disc if it is stereo-only, but at least that gives me more money I can put towards "Full Sail".
This was originally a Quadraphonic title, so I'm puzzled as to why this SACD is not following suit. :( :mad: :violin

Man I'd be bummed out if indeed it wasn't a Quad SACD. Let's hope that Brian chimes in soon to clear things out. No Quad, no sale for me.

Man I'd be bummed out if indeed it wasn't a Quad SACD. Let's hope that Brian chimes in soon to clear things out. No Quad, no sale for me.

Over on ElusiveDisc, it looks like it's plain as day that this is a stereo-only release, from the picture to the description below:
As an added bonus, this Audio Fidelity release includes all the extended singles and full-length album versions taken from the original stereo masters.

Features:
• Super Audio CD
• SACD Stereo SACD Layer
• This Hybrid SACD contains a 'Red Book' Stereo CD Layer which is playable on most conventional CD Players!
• Numbered, Limited Edition

No mention of 4.0 Multichannel :( :mad:

Blood, Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits Numbered Limited Edition Hybrid Stereo SACD

Over on ElusiveDisc, it looks like it's plain as day that this is a stereo-only release, from the picture to the description below:

No mention of 4.0 Multichannel :( :mad:

Alright. I did not know Elusive Disc had final word.

Back