PROG ROCK TITLES-FUTURE SURROUND CONSIDERATION

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not interested if:

A) All that remains is a 4-track tape (Kind of difficult to make a good 5.1 mix from just 4 tracks)
B) Giles Martin is the surround mixing engineer. (Where's the barf emoji?) ;)

Wow, did I really say this almost a year ago?
Guess I had not gotten over the disappointment of "1+" yet, cause I feel like I'm eating my words now as I preordered a box right when it was announced, and I'll REALLY eat my words if the mix is awesome! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my big dream remixes has been Queensrÿche's always amazing Operation: Mindcrime in 5.1, especially when the album turns 30 next year. Just imagine how amazing that album would sound in surround... ?

And always clamouring for better remixes of the Genesis albums but it's seeming unlikely for SW to ever take the reigns really, as it appears that he's not a fan of the band? ?

And as for Marillion, Marbles in 5.1 is a MUST!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

...okay, I'm pushing the "Prog" definition in places ;) but here's a few classics I would like to hear in surround

Eloy - "Colours"
Magnum - "Chase the Dragon"
Steve Hillage - "Green"
Uriah Heep - "Demons and Wizards" / "Look at Yourself" / "The Magician's Birthday"
Rainbow - "Rising"
Hawkwind - "Levitation"
Marillion - "Clutching at Straws"
Styx - "The Grand Illusion"
Pendragon - "Believe" (or any of their albums!)
Big Big Train - "The Underfall Yard" / "English Electric"
Twelfth Night - "Live and Let Live" (or any of the studio albums)
The Pineapple Thief - "Little Man" (or any of their earlier studio albums)
Frost* - any of their albums
During the recent Ritchie Blackmore Story doco, Ritchie mentioned that he's looking to get Rising remixed, so he can bring out the bass more. I wonder if he became aware of Wilson's Tull remixes which has me wondering whether he'll get him to remix the album. After all, I do hear he's a fan of the WarChild album and I'm guessing he must be friends with Ian Anderson too.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Besides one post I could find in this thread, I'm honestly shocked that more people did not put any of Peter Gabriel's solo albums (besides "Up" which has already been released on Multichannel SACD) on their lists.
To me, he could be considered the ultimate progressive artist, not only because of his work with Genesis but also because he has had the best solo career out of all Genesis members, both commercially and critically.

Maybe it's because we've given up hope on Gabriel coming to his senses when it comes to 5.1 surround mixes of his back catalogue?

The two records that are really driving me the most right now are 3 and 4, when he was at his most experimental.

:)

Pretty much, yes. I've given up on Gabriel in 5.1.

cover_34326672009.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist, LOL.

:bounce

Besides one post I could find in this thread, I'm honestly shocked that more people did not put any of Peter Gabriel's solo albums (besides "Up" which has already been released on Multichannel SACD) on their lists.
To me, he could be considered the ultimate progressive artist, not only because of his work with Genesis but also because he has had the best solo career out of all Genesis members, both commercially and critically.

Maybe it's because we've given up hope on Gabriel coming to his senses when it comes to 5.1 surround mixes of his back catalogue?

The two records that are really driving me the most right now are 3 and 4, when he was at his most experimental.

Good point, Ryan

I'm sure he's not anti-surround in any way. He does have 2-3 live recordings that are excellent in surround . And Daniel Lanois/ Richard Chappel mixed his video hits in stellar surround .
Also a few other artists have used his "Real World " Studio for 5.1 mixes , so he's well equipped I'd say.
Apart from his first album, the remainder are required by this fan.(y)

BTW :

on a seperate note RT your wishes on post #14 are happening via Esoteric.

Good point, Ryan

I'm sure he's not anti-surround in any way. He does have 2-3 live recordings that are excellent in surround . And Daniel Lanois/ Richard Chappel mixed his video hits in stellar surround .
Also a few other artists have used his "Real World " Studio for 5.1 mixes , so he's well equipped I'd say.
Apart from his first album, the remainder are required by this fan.(y)

BTW :

on a seperate note RT your wishes on post #14 are happening via Esoteric.

Which title specifically?

Which title specifically?

I said (at the time):
I also wonder if and how far the Anthony Phillips reissue series will continue past "1984".

And this year, we will get "Slow Dance" as a 5.1 surround mix via Esoteric.

Also, the Barclay James Harvest series has continued (albeit at a much slower pace than they originally intended) and the next release should be "Octoberon".

Finally, besides the fact that the Jethro Tull series is definitely continuing as expected with "Songs from the Wood" (and "Heavy Horses" after that) we have also heard rumblings about a Steven Wilson remix of "Three Friends" by Gentle Giant, so the only one that still seems far out there right now is "Going for the One" by Yes, but I hope that will change sooner rather than later!

Some tracks were mixed into surround by his team off their own back, but it seems he always wants to go forwards not back to the past, so probably unlikely :(. Which is a shame, his albums cry out for that immersive experience, and the spreading of all those layers of sound around.

Indeed, PG always says he doesn't like to look back but ... the most recent releases have been the vinyl re-issue remaster 45 rpm blah blah, and then upcoming is more of the same but for all of the soundtrack albums. The SO 25th anniversary reissue and tour were also all looking back, as was his covers project.
The Veil and I'm Amazing were fine but I would argue they're looking back towards the sound of Up and Us.
He's my favorite artist in the world but he is so frustrating.
My guess is he'd be happy to just live life, and his management team keep pushing to release and reissue vinyl because it's currently selling.
Fingers crossed for new album in 5.1. How about tomorrow?

Indeed, PG always says he doesn't like to look back but ... the most recent releases have been the vinyl re-issue remaster 45 rpm blah blah, and then upcoming is more of the same but for all of the soundtrack albums. The SO 25th anniversary reissue and tour were also all looking back, as was his covers project.
The Veil and I'm Amazing were fine but I would argue they're looking back towards the sound of Up and Us.
He's my favorite artist in the world but he is so frustrating.
My guess is he'd be happy to just live life, and his management team keep pushing to release and reissue vinyl because it's currently selling.
Fingers crossed for new album in 5.1. How about tomorrow?

True-he looks forward and that's a Cryme I think.

A few years back , can't remember when exactly , doesn't really matter---But he almost ALMOST got back together with Genesis for a tour .
That would have been an awesome occurance in my opinion , almost like the Beatles re-uniting. !!

Ryan, SO true, PG's solo work is amazing and is made for surround. I would take them all as they are all special albums for me.
I bet SW would do them if he was given the chance as well.
I would have thought he would have done it as he did UP in 5.1 and has done greatest hits(videos) in surround, is it possible master tapes are missing for parts of albums as PG is a perfectionist and I wonder if that could be a factor.
Thats just guessing on my part as I am not sure why he hasn't done it.

Ryan, SO true, PG's solo work is amazing and is made for surround. I would take them all as they are all special albums for me.
I bet SW would do them if he was given the chance as well.
I would have thought he would have done it as he did UP in 5.1 and has done greatest hits(videos) in surround, is it possible master tapes are missing for parts of albums as PG is a perfectionist and I wonder if that could be a factor.
Thats just guessing on my part as I am not sure why he hasn't done it.

Missing and/or damaged tapes are a possibility , ala Steve Hackett's nightmare , but considering "Play " has many cuts from album one onwards , I'd think that they are readily available.
They may even have made backups to the multi 's on hand at "Real World ", if not most of the intact originals .
Hard to say if Pete has access to his earlier stuff , but I'd like to think someone as Iconic as him might have purchasedback the rights to his earlier works .

FWIW any Peter Gabriel would be welcome be it newer or preferred older albums . "Security " begs for a surround issue , lots of keyboard workouts with David Rhodes . And Tony Levin on electric Bass's.

Ten Years After -Cricklewood Green would be a great start for more TYA in surround. I've probably listed this before, but....

Just listening to this disc via mp3 and boy is it ever panned in crazy stereo . The engineer/s always had super surround like panning in mind with these Ten Years After albums . :smokin

I got to attend a private recital by Patrick Moraz this evening in Fairfield, CT. (It was amazing. If you ever get a chance to see him, go!)

Anyway, I got to talk to him afterwards. I asked if he had listened to the 5.1 mix of Relayer. He said that he had and that he loved it. I asked if he ever considered giving any of his own albums the 5.1 treatment. He said that he would love to but that such a projet would be cost-prohibitive. :(

I got to attend a private recital by Patrick Moraz this evening in Fairfield, CT. (It was amazing. If you ever get a chance to see him, go!)

Anyway, I got to talk to him afterwards. I asked if he had listened to the 5.1 mix of Relayer. He said that he had and that he loved it. I asked if he ever considered giving any of his own albums the 5.1 treatment. He said that he would love to but that such a projet would be cost-prohibitive. :(

Yeah, I believe some of these artists would likely require a "go fund me " initiative . But it would be a worthwhile surround investment , me thinks. (y)

Back