PROG ROCK TITLES-FUTURE SURROUND CONSIDERATION

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
For future consideration list your fave titles you would like to have mixed in surround in the PROGRESSIVE ROCK category, Discs you would want mixed in 5.1 by the likes of : Steven Wilson, Andy Jackson, Jakko Jacksyk, Bruce Soord, James Guthrie, Alan Parsons, Elliot Scheiner, Bob Clearmountain, Kevin Reeves,Giles Martin, Jeff Lynne,Greg Penney, and etc etc.

For the most part were looking at a window of time such as ; 1966 to 1985.

So if possible list the artist/group/title and release year.

And who knows if we can get some consensus, common consensus on a few titles perhaps someone in the group of learned Surround Mix Maestros will take notice and supply their talents and time in prog rock pursuits for us greatful fans.:sun

Camel S.T, Mirage, Moonmadness, The Snow Goose
Nektar A tab in The ocean
Caravan If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You

So I will start,

Hawkwind-Hall Of The Mountain Grill (74?)

Pink Floyd-Meddle (70)
Pink Floyd-Electric Moo (69)
Pink Floyd-Animals (77)

Ten Years After-Stonedhenge (68)
Ten Years After-Cricklewood Green (70)
Ten Years After-Ssssh (69)
Ten Years After-Watt (70)

Phil Manzanera-Diamond Head (74)

Roxy Music-Stranded (73)
Roxy Music-Country Life (74)

Brian Eno-Another Green World(75)
Brian Eno-Here Comes The Warm Jets (75)

Roxy Music-Stranded (73)
Roxy Music-Country Life (74)

A big thumbs up for these two! (y)
(Although in reality, I wouldn't consider Roxy Music to be 'prog' in the classic sense, at least compared to the other artists that others are mentioning thus far.)

Agree with the Nektar and Camel titles.. I would like Caravan For Girls Who Grow Plump.

Going a little further out on a limb... Sebastian Hardie--Four Moments; Jon Anderson--Olias of Sunhillow; Chris Squire--Fish Out of Water (apparently a mix is in the can by someone).

Maybe a Curved Air, such as Phantasmogoria or Air Cut?

Pushing the boundary a bit, how about one of the more proggy Man titles, like the third, self-titled album on Liberty or Do You Like It Here Now?

I'm getting too esoteric, yeah.

Brian Eno-' Jets s/b (73) my goof.

and how about some of that electronics, hmmmm.?

Tangerine Dream-Encore (76)
Tangerine Dream-Phaedra (74)

Ash Ra Tempel-Starring Rosie (73)
Ash Ra Tempel-Inventions For Electric Guitar (75)
Ash Ra Tempel-Communication(76)

Kraftwerk-Autobahn

Electric Light Orchestra - ELO II (1972)
Electric Light Orchestra - On the Third Day (1973)

Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Todd Rundgren's Utopia (1974)
Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Another Live (1975)

Procol Harum - A Salty Dog (1969)
Procol Harum - Procol Harum Live In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (1972)
Procol Harum - Grand Hotel (1973)

To be honest, I'd love the complete catalogs of all three of these bands to get the 5.1 treatment. But since this is a prog category, where ELO & Utopia are concerned, it's only their early albums that can be really be considered prog before they both moved onto a more power-pop based (yet still awesome) direction.

Electric Light Orchestra - ELO II (1972)
Electric Light Orchestra - On the Third Day (1973)

Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Todd Rundgren's Utopia (1974)
Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Another Live (1975)

Procol Harum - Procol Harum Live In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (1972)

To be honest, I'd love the complete catalogs of all three of these bands to get the 5.1 treatment. But since this is a prog category, where ELO & Utopia are concerned, it's only their early albums that can be really be considered prog before they both moved onto a more power-pop based (yet still awesome) direction.

Any and all PROCOL HARUM (good picks)
any early E.L.O. (again good picks)

and sure Todd as well !

In reality, there's not that many suggestions or wishes that I have when it comes to classic Prog Rock in surround sound.
So much has already been covered that my interests really reside elsewhere, however, here's some that I do hope will come to fruition:

Gentle Giant: "In A Glass House", "Three Friends" (the latter being a strong contender for remix and release this year) (Here's hoping the IAGH tapes turn up eventually!)
Yes: "Going for the One" (Like IAGH, hopefully the tapes for GFTO also become available in the future.)

I also wonder if and how far the Anthony Phillips reissue series will continue past "1984".
Same goes with Barclay James Harvest. 4 titles are supposedly on the books for this year, so we will see where things go from there.
Finally, when it comes to prog, I am most excited about the eventual release of "Songs from the Wood", "Heavy Horses", and "Stormwatch" from Jethro Tull. All three of those should be amazing in surround! :)

Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow

Van der Graaf Generator

Marillion (Fish era)

Please oh please oh please... (Am I the only one who loves this album to death?)

41jMZQJl1mL._SY355_.jpg

(Patrick Moraz: The Story of i)

Also many dittos for Olias and/or Todd Rundgren's Utopia (the first one)

-- Jim (please please please...)

why only three albums?
i would love to see all range from 1967 "ST" ("A Whiter Shade of Pale" and "Repent Walpurgis" alone worth the admission) to 1977 "Something Magic".

Brian Eno-' Jets s/b (73) my goof.

and how about some of that electronics, hmmmm.?

Tangerine Dream-Encore (76)
Tangerine Dream-Phaedra (74)

Ash Ra Tempel-Starring Rosie (73)
Ash Ra Tempel-Inventions For Electric Guitar (75)
Ash Ra Tempel-Communication(76)

Kraftwerk-Autobahn

A lot of Ash Ra Tempel albums (including the ones you mentioned above) were released in quad (they may even be single inventory SQ?) by the German label they were signed to, Cosmic Music. There are also a whole bunch of releases by The Cosmic Jokers, Popol Vuh, Klaus Schulze, and Tangerine Dream (Atem and Alpha Centauri) in quad on the same label.

There's also the Bacillus/Bellaphon label in Germany that released a bunch of prog in quad (some titles weirder than others) including Nektar, Omega, Dzyan, Nine Days Wonder, and some other ones that I'm forgetting at the moment.

I think the common denominator between most of this stuff was Dieter Dierks, who ran a studio outside of Cologne and seemed to mix everything he did in the early 70's in quad. I think a lot of these titles have been re-released on CD with the SQ encoding intact - I assume the quad master tapes must exist somewhere as the multichannel layer of one of the Nektar SACDs was sourced from the quad mix. It would be nice if some enterprising reissue label could work out a deal with the original rights holders to reissue this stuff because even though it's the nichest of niche products, it still deserves to be heard.

If we're speaking just in terms of personal taste (and not commercial viability) my personal nominations would be for Argent, I think their catalog is a bit of a mess sonically on CD, and a lot of the music is really dense organ/guitar stuff (especially the later albums like Nexus and Circus) that would really benefit from the surround soundfield. I also think Focus would be a lot of fun in surround, their two quad mixes (Moving Waves and Live At The Rainbow) are both really entertaining.

And last but not least, I don't know if it qualifies completely as prog rock, but I'd love to hear The Eleventh House (Introducing and especially Level One) and Mahavishnu Orchestra (especially the 2nd lineup albums Apocalypse and Visions Of The Emerald Beyond) in surround. Those latter Mahavishnu albums especially would be quite something as there are tons of musicians (and sometimes actual orchestras) playing and I think it would be an amazing experience to be in the middle of all of that. In a documentary a few years ago Sir George Martin said that Apocalypse was one of his favourite things that he ever worked on, and I couldn't agree more.

Back