PROG ROCK TITLES-FUTURE SURROUND CONSIDERATION

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An obvious one that no-ones mentioned - The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band !

Not interested if:

A) All that remains is a 4-track tape (Kind of difficult to make a good 5.1 mix from just 4 tracks)
B) Giles Martin is the surround mixing engineer. (Where's the barf emoji?) ;)

UK -- UK

(Eddie Jobson missed an opportunity when he chose to not offer a surround mix for this one.)

AFAIK, there was no 'missed opportunity' on this one. The multitrack tapes were missing, making a surround remix impossible to create.

Ah, yes, I remember this post from kap but have we seen/heard it from EJ himself?

He's taken down some of his zealots videos so I'm can't tell if he ever mentioned it in one of them.

as much as a like to see 5 Supertramp albums (above) and all Ozzy's era Black Sabbath (albeit that's not prog) in surround, the sad reality telling me it's not gonna happen.
i guess that's apply to nearly all past releases, mainly due to lack of artists interest to return to their own past and repeat all them again.
if we really want to see more surround in our posession, we should more concentrate our lobbying effort on the newer projects, paricularly ones, which recently in process.
much better real chances to get something, than to live in dreams only.

as much as a like to see 5 Supertramp albums (above) and all Ozzy's era Black Sabbath (albeit that's not prog) in surround, the sad reality telling me it's not gonna happen.
i guess that's apply to nearly all past releases, mainly due to lack of artists interest to return to their own past and repeat all them again.
if we really want to see more surround in our posession, we should more concentrate our lobbying effort on the newer projects, paricularly ones, which recently in process.
much better real chances to get something, than to live in dreams only.

The basis or rationale behind this thread is to solicit Future Surround Titles so that people who mix in surround know where there is a demand in Progressive Rock music.
They are going to be running out of surround projects soon enough, and will need to focus their surround mix attention to other titles and artist's catalogues.

This goes without saying for all the Steven Wilson, Jakko Jacsyks and any other mix mestro's, currently active in this field.

It's imperative on our part, to let them know we are still very much interested in their skills and focus attention on the "NEXT PROG'S" we very much will support.

This thread seeks to do just that.

Please keep in mind that there are now an ever increasing amount of new surround titles with renewed frequency. :sun

We are in fact experiencing a "resurgence" when it comes to "surround sound music" the likes of which we have not seen since 2003.

fizzy

The basis or rationale behind this thread is to solicit Future Surround Titles so that people who mix in surround know where there is a demand in Progressive Rock music.
They are going to be running out of surround projects soon enough, and will need to focus their surround mix attention to other titles and artist's catalogues.
sure, that's nice but the main point in this matter is a willingness of artists to jump into surround world and that's very little depends on mixer.
i guess the better to have a sparrow in the hand than a pigeon on the roof.
so one step at time and preferably to chose not most difficult one :)

Just to expand a little on my last post:

We "NOW"have another Prog Rock label that has taken up the importance of surround mixing in future titles, ESOTERIC RECORDS (CHERRY RED) .

One of the largest labels in the U.K. dedicated to prog rock reissues. Thankyou, Simon Heyworth (ANTHONY PHILLIPS):upthumb:sun

This goes without saying for all the Steven Wilson, Jakko Jacsyks and any other mix mestro's, currently active in this field.

It's imperative on our part, to let them know we are still very much interested in their skills and focus attention on the "NEXT PROG'S" we very much will support.

This thread seeks to do just that.

Please keep in mind that there are now an ever increasing amount of new surround titles with renewed frequency. :sun

We are in fact experiencing a "resurgence" when it comes to "surround sound music" the likes of which we have not seen since 2003.

fizzy

I hate to burst your bubble fizzy, but this isn't how it works.
None of the engineers you mentioned are actively pursuing prog albums to mix in surround. Truth is they are not actively pursuing any albums to mix in surround. Their work is mostly commissioned by the artists and/or record labels.
Not only that, but many of them are occupied with several other matters beyond surround mixing, which mostly involve the writing, recording, and performing of original music.
So basically this is really just one big wishlist that has no basis in the way most business is really done when it comes to mixing classic albums in surround.
The only way any of these wishes become reality is by actively petitioning the artists and/or record labels, the ones who actually control what's released, and that never really works most of the time anyway... :(

None of the engineers you mentioned are actively pursuing prog albums to mix in surround. Truth is they are not actively pursuing any albums to mix in surround. Their work is mostly commissioned by the artists and/or record labels.
Not only that, but many of them are occupied with several other matters beyond surround mixing, which mostly involve the writing, recording, and performing of original music.
So basically this is really just one big wishlist that has no basis in the way most business is really done when it comes to mixing classic albums in surround.
The only way any of these wishes become reality is by actively petitioning the artists and/or record labels, the ones who actually control what's released, and that never really works most of the time anyway... :(
well said. i agree except point of petitioning.
that works but depend who is your target, megalomaniac with overestimated ego or artist, dedicated not to "bang mega buck"
but rather to development of own artistic cause. and we already have here live examples of such - easy reachable, open to
communication, feedback and suggestions. and in many instances way more talanted and interesting than those "megastars".

too sad that so many of our members too conservative and hard acceptable to something fresh and new even for light shake
and change in their artistic preferences habits.

True.

BTW, we're now up to two pages and no one has said anything about wanting "Smallcreep's Day" by Mike Rutherford in surround.
I would love for Mike to get together with Nick Davis and have him remix that album, just like he's done for Genesis and Tony Banks' solo albums.

It certainly needs a new reissue on CD, so one would hope that Esoteric (who are currently working their way through the back catalogue reissues for Tony) could get this one out at some point.

Wishful thinking, I know, but then again, this is all this thread really is. :)

. . . too sad that so many of our members too conservative and hard acceptable to something fresh and new even for light shake
and change in their artistic preferences habits.
Otto, I get your point and want some "fresh" too. I have the challenge of explaining why "my?" music, mostly new to me and much of it from the 70's, is so good when others have no sense for it at all . My audio preferences now are much different than even ten or five years ago. Its almost hard to imagine what I would be listening to if I hadn't gotten an early Oppo and found QQ:music. Having said that, I'll be spinning the Katatonia Dethroned & Uncrowned DVD Audio on the way to work tomorrow.

can you post what was said in the email?

I wish I could but it's a private email between us and I spilled the minimum info possible...

I know it probably sounds "arrogant" , but , trust me , that's the last thing I want it to look like...once you get into private messages with artists, you don't wanna break that "trust"...it's not like I KNOW a lot of artists, the only other one I "know" is Larry Fast---

I was also disappointed with him not being able to find the multis for the 1st one (heck, I'll settle for "Danger Money"!!!), but at least we get an expanded version of the "Night after Night" show and IN SURROUND!! Mixed by Bob Clearmountain...cool!

Last edited:

I'm sure this is true in many respects although remember someone like Steven Wilson now has such an impressive CV of classic albums (prog or otherwise) mixed in surround that remixing classic albums has become a significant aspect of his work in the industry as a whole - and part of his expertise is recognised as such. Add to that the fact that he is creating and producing new music that is in many ways influenced by the 70s progressive movement, puts him in a position in the industry where he is more likely to come into contact with progressive artists who are receptive to the idea of surround mixing. Of course he is also a fan of such music - and so there's also a personal element that's separate from the professional/business aspects of his remixing work.

Speaking of which here's another suggestion (again, probably not considered classic prog): Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (1969). I'm pretty sure Steven Wilson expressed interest in this one too :D

I'm sure this is true in many respects although remember someone like Steven Wilson now has such an impressive CV of classic albums (prog or otherwise) mixed in surround that remixing classic albums has become a significant aspect of his work in the industry as a whole - and part of his expertise is recognised as such. Add to that the fact that he is creating and producing new music that is in many ways influenced by the 70s progressive movement, puts him in a position in the industry where he is more likely to come into contact with progressive artists who are receptive to the idea of surround mixing. Of course he is also a fan of such music - and so there's also a personal element that's separate from the professional/business aspects of his remixing
Speaking of which here's another suggestion (again, probably not considered classic prog): Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (1969). I'm pretty sure Steven Wilson expressed interest in this one too :D

Well said (y):banana:

Back