PROG ROCK TITLES-FUTURE SURROUND CONSIDERATION

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More to consider,

Traffic-The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys
Traffic-Shootout At The Fantasy Factory
Traffic-When The Eagle Flies

Massive Attack-Mezzanine
Massive Attack-Blue Lines

Steve Miller-Book Of Dreams

Book of Dreams sounds fantastic when converted with SpecWeb! (At least it will tide you over until the official hi-rez release comes out;))

Book of Dreams sounds fantastic when converted with SpecWeb! (At least it will tide you over until the official hi-rez release comes out;))

Traffic-When The Eagle flies.....is a disc that Audio Mag. (U.S.) recommended for playback with quad decoders, dolby s/b close to the same I figure.

Perhaps "Book Of Dreams" is a mixdown from quad.Fly Like An Eagle and Book Of Dreams do come from the same recording sessions as mentioned by Steve Miller.Why it was never issued in quad is a mystery to most quadraphiles.

I've never heard the sentiment put quite that way... but I like it.
well, even after all those years in Canada my english still weird. particularly in builds of sentences.
what did i meant behind it - here at QQ demand is toward old and very old titles, which in many cases are forgotten among wide public.
those, which still afloat around, they pretty much acceptable in the format, they were done before and majority of consumers doesn't care
about anything else. so why the artist or label should bother themselves with redoing them in surround for remaining minority?

at same time we have situation with rise of interest to prog rock, which manifested itself in evolving of old prog rock genre into neo prog
and formation plenty of new and interesting artists/bands. due to its novelty the artists themselves not yet had been spoiled by PR media
(which sadly has happend with almost all old "stars") and are pretty much still operate in open, democratic style, thus easy to access for
communication and by this way somehow push them into right direction. on top of this i have noticed very promising rise of interest among
them to surround format. it's a crime to left this unattended because someones refuses any novelty in music and stuck to Beach Boys or Beatles
for rest of their life. as consequence of such ignorance, there won't be neither new or old releases in surround.

another positive side in supporting this new wave of artists is their fan base. mostly still yet progressive younger generation, open to new and exciting things.

simple arithmetic - if each artist do have let's say 10-20 thousands fans worldwide and released album in well done surround, this automatically
brings into surround camp by most humble expectation, at least 3 to 5 thousands new followers, which in turn may spreads their newly discovered
surround experience and knowledge further to their friends.
please note: that's (3~5 000) the typical print run of title by boutique label like AF and such, who has hard time to sell it out to their existent consumer base.

well, even after all those years in Canada my english still weird. particularly in builds of sentences.

No, I understood what you meant, but the saying as I have always heard it is: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

But,

"better to have a sparrow in the hand than a pigeon on the roof" just seems so much more colorful :)

What part of Canada are you in and where did you live before Canada, Otto?

Alberta. Canada is my fourth and seems last country. i become too old to jump around anymore :)

Pretty German, methinks.

Besser den Spatz in der Hand als die Taube auf dem Dach.

-Kristian

Well I tallied from the posts.........so far, that is.

It was a bit of a confusing task in that I had to compile "likes" "thanks" titles" and subtract in someway (reasonably accurately, I thought), but gave up on this idea after reviewing the shear volume of listed titles per post.Does everone like ALL the titles on a particular post ? Or just a few ?

So I decided against this, sorry.And decided after reading some of my lengthy listed posts that it might be somewhat more realistic to list multiple mentions per posts.

The results are surprisingly similar though for most of the top posts ! And well ,,, and this includes my idiot self, there is still plenty of time to submit your favourite titles.(OR WHOLE CATALOGUE-OR YEARS OF SAME)
But please , I insist you not repeat items on your own prior post.:sun

Thankyou everyone in advance for your absolutely magnificant selections.Amazing Prog Rocker fans you all
are:party(y)(y)(y)(y)

So I will start,

Jon Anderson-Olias Of Sunhollow(top pick with 8 mentions)

Chris Squire-Fish Out Of Water (7)

Nektar-Recycle (6)

Yes-Going For The One (5)
Camel-Moon Madness
Suupertramp-Crime Of The Century and Catalogue following

Kansas-Leftoverture (4)
Camel-Snowgoose
Caravan-Early catalogue
Hawkwind-Early 70's catalogue
Pink Floyd-Animals
Pink Floyd-60's and earlist 70's
Todd Rundgren-Todd Rundgren
Steve Hilliage-Green

Tangerine Dream-Phaedra (3)
Procol Harum-Early Catalogue
Yes-Drama
Radiohead-Ok Computer
Uriah Heep-Salisbury
Yes-Yes

With so many other titles mentioned (Fantastic titles no less) we need all post our much and most required-lots of time.:D

Two more I should have added to my previous candidates list... Todd Rundgren - Healing (studio version), Utopia - Adventures In Utopia. :music

Alright, I'll play. :)

I'm not that big a Prog fan to be honest, but from what's been listed so far (which many are not actually Prog), here's what I'd love to have Multichannel releases of:

Pink Floyd-Meddle (70)
Pink Floyd-Animals (77)

Atomic Rooster-In Hearing Of (71)

Yes - Going For The One, Drama and 90125.

Uriah Heep ‎– Demons And Wizards

Although these are not Prog, I'd still love to see box sets releases of every Roxy Music, E.L.O and Supertramp albums in Multichannel.

Nobody has mentioned yet Jean Michel Jarre's Rendez-vous. I'd really love to hear the full studio version in surround!

David Gilmour self titled album plus Rick Wright's Wet Dream and Broken China would be amazing too. And yes, Waters's Pros and Cons too.

Alright, I'll play. :)

I'm not that big a Prog fan to be honest, but from what's been listed so far (which many are not actually Prog), here's what I'd love to have Multichannel releases of:

Although these are not Prog, I'd still love to see box sets releases of every Roxy Music, E.L.O and Supertramp albums in Multichannel.

I think of those as PROG ? Maybe a little glam with Roxy :music

Oh and I think a little amendment is in order.

Missed

Marillion-Marbles (3)

And

Todd Rundgren-Todd Rundgren s/b. Todd Rundgren-Utopia

like I stated prior those requests were difficult to edit :violin
Spent most of Saturday morn, trying to do this.

Hope all is better now.(y)

Nobody has mentioned yet Jean Michel Jarre's Rendez-vous. I'd really love to hear the full studio version in surround!

David Gilmour self titled album plus Rick Wright's Wet Dream and Broken China would be amazing too. And yes, Waters's Pros and Cons too.

Wright's Wet Dream is the real hidden jewel in the Pink Floyd catalog. There is some absolutely gorgeous material on it. And it could be awesome in surround. I'd love to see it and Gilmour's self titled debut released together on a single blu-ray. I know that would be a highly unusual/unlikely scenario, but both albums were released around the same time. Most Floyd fans know Gilmour's album, but lots don't know Wright's. Combining the two could encourage some fans to check out Wet Dream. They could be released under some sort of "Pink Floyd 1978" banner. A far-fetched idea, I know, but it would be awesome.

Wright's Wet Dream is the real hidden jewel in the Pink Floyd catalog. There is some absolutely gorgeous material on it. And it could be awesome in surround. I'd love to see it and Gilmour's self titled debut released together on a single blu-ray. I know that would be a highly unusual/unlikely scenario, but both albums were released around the same time. Most Floyd fans know Gilmour's album, but lots don't know Wright's. Combining the two could encourage some fans to check out Wet Dream. They could be released under some sort of "Pink Floyd 1978" banner. A far-fetched idea, I know, but it would be awesome.

I also doubt the two LPs will be joined in the same release. To me they form the bridge between Animals and The Wall. I like the fact that both albums were recorded in the same studio by the same engineer only a month apart. When you read Waters' comments that neither Wright nor Gilmour had ideas for the next Pink Floyd album, it's easy to see why. I still play these two a lot.

So I will start,

Hawkwind-Hall Of The Mountain Grill (74?)

Pink Floyd-Meddle (70)
Pink Floyd-Electric Moo (69)
Pink Floyd-Animals (77)

Ten Years After-Stonedhenge (68)
Ten Years After-Cricklewood Green (70)
Ten Years After-Ssssh (69)
Ten Years After-Watt (70)

Phil Manzanera-Diamond Head (74)

Roxy Music-Stranded (73)
Roxy Music-Country Life (74)

Brian Eno-Another Green World(75)
Brian Eno-Here Comes The Warm Jets (75)

That's a killer list! I had no idea the eno was available in surround but that would be killer!

Kansas - Kansas
Kansas - Song For America
Kansas - Masque
Kansas - Leftoverture
Kansas - Point of Know Return

Saga - Saga
Saga - Images at Twilight
Saga - Silent Knight
Saga - Worlds Apart

Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear
Marillion - Fugazi
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Marillion - Clutching at Straws

ELP - Pictures at an Exhibition

Pink Floyd - Animals

Kansas - Kansas
Kansas - Song For America
Kansas - Masque
Kansas - Leftoverture
Kansas - Point of Know Return

Saga - Saga
Saga - Images at Twilight
Saga - Silent Knight
Saga - Worlds Apart

Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear
Marillion - Fugazi
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Marillion - Clutching at Straws

ELP - Pictures at an Exhibition

Pink Floyd - Animals

OOOOOO,
A SAGA FAN!!!!
Welcome!!!
Yes!!!!
The early ones would be a TREAT (I'd say, up until Heads or Tales)
I'm guessing you have "Network" which , although the material is not their best, has a TOP NOTCH MCH mix...also, try to decode the "Spin it Again" BD in DPL MUSIC (or your favorite mode) and it sounds GREAT!!!

Saga was one of my first concerts, saw them in 81 in San Juan (that photo in the inner jacket of Worlds apart...I WAS THERE!!!)and have been a fan since,,,,

AFAIK, the Kansas ones are up in the air
Not familiar with Marillion (sorry)

And the ELP has the Multis missing, and besides , the band is not interested in MCH anymore, but ,as it is, we got a NICE selection of their seminal stuff , Trilogy being my all time fave...

Back