PROG ROCK TITLES-FUTURE SURROUND CONSIDERATION

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wright's Wet Dream is the real hidden jewel in the Pink Floyd catalog. There is some absolutely gorgeous material on it. And it could be awesome in surround. I'd love to see it and Gilmour's self titled debut released together on a single blu-ray. I know that would be a highly unusual/unlikely scenario, but both albums were released around the same time. Most Floyd fans know Gilmour's album, but lots don't know Wright's. Combining the two could encourage some fans to check out Wet Dream. They could be released under some sort of "Pink Floyd 1978" banner. A far-fetched idea, I know, but it would be awesome.

That would be "a nice pair". Years ago I made a cassette with Gilmour's 1st and Wet Dreams on either side and it got lots of play in my car.

OOOOOO,
A SAGA FAN!!!!
Welcome!!!
Yes!!!!
The early ones would be a TREAT (I'd say, up until Heads or Tales)
I'm guessing you have "Network" which , although the material is not their best, has a TOP NOTCH MCH mix...also, try to decode the "Spin it Again" BD in DPL MUSIC (or your favorite mode) and it sounds GREAT!!!

Actually, I stopped buying Saga's music after Behaviour, as they evolved too far away from the style I fell in love with. It was the same story with Kansas, after their first 5 albums, and Marillion after Fish left. So I haven't heard Network, but maybe I should take a peek....

AFAIK, the Kansas ones are up in the air

No surprise; I'm not holding my breath on these.

Not familiar with Marillion (sorry)

Oh boy, you should get familiar. The first 4 albums with Fish are fantastic. When you have an opportunity, sample Misplaced Childhood or Clutching at Straws and see what you think. Brave is a later one after Fish left the group, but may be a fan favorite (it's not mine).

And the ELP has the Multis missing, and besides , the band is not interested in MCH anymore, but ,as it is, we got a NICE selection of their seminal stuff , Trilogy being my all time fave...

I'm sooooo thankful that the first 3 were done. I've been away from happenings in the multichannel world for a couple of years, and never thought I'd see back catalog releases in 5.1 of Tull, ELP, or Alan Parsons Project (again, the early albums). Thanks to guys like SW and JJ, DVD-A and SACD seem to have enjoyed a resurgence!

Do not sample Misplaced Childhood... It's a concept album: listen to the whole thing, from start to finish! One of my favorite album of all time. The greatest album of the 80s Neo Prog?

...okay, I'm pushing the "Prog" definition in places ;) but here's a few classics I would like to hear in surround

Eloy - "Colours"
Magnum - "Chase the Dragon"
Steve Hillage - "Green"
Uriah Heep - "Demons and Wizards" / "Look at Yourself" / "The Magician's Birthday"
Rainbow - "Rising"
Hawkwind - "Levitation"
Marillion - "Clutching at Straws"
Styx - "The Grand Illusion"
Pendragon - "Believe" (or any of their albums!)
Big Big Train - "The Underfall Yard" / "English Electric"
Twelfth Night - "Live and Let Live" (or any of the studio albums)
The Pineapple Thief - "Little Man" (or any of their earlier studio albums)
Frost* - any of their albums

I would love a "treatment" by Steven Wilson, or Jakko Jacsyk or someone/anyone with the experience to tackle catalogues from ;

BRIAN ENO

KLAUSE SCHULZE

KRAFTWERK

or of course the electronic maestros

TANGERINE DREAM

-so any engineers please take note. These are most assuredly some of the best electronic pioneers from the 70's and beyond.

Patrick Moraz - Story of i

And yes, as said above Visions of the Emerald Beyond - what an amazing album that is, would be great in 5.1

...okay, I'm pushing the "Prog" definition in places ;) but here's a few classics I would like to hear in surround

Eloy - "Colours"
Magnum - "Chase the Dragon"
Steve Hillage - "Green"
Uriah Heep - "Demons and Wizards" / "Look at Yourself" / "The Magician's Birthday"
Rainbow - "Rising"
Hawkwind - "Levitation"
Marillion - "Clutching at Straws"
Styx - "The Grand Illusion"
Pendragon - "Believe" (or any of their albums!)
Big Big Train - "The Underfall Yard" / "English Electric"
Twelfth Night - "Live and Let Live" (or any of the studio albums)
The Pineapple Thief - "Little Man" (or any of their earlier studio albums)
Frost* - any of their albums

afaik there's an unreleased Quad mix of Styx's Grand Illusion.. iirc notable mastering engineer and QQ member Darrell Johnson may have a copy on a test pressing he mastered in CD-4 QuadraDisc form...?

afaik there's an unreleased Quad mix of Styx's Grand Illusion.. iirc notable mastering engineer and QQ member Darrell Johnson may have a copy on a test pressing he mastered in CD-4 QuadraDisc form...?

So strange he did that disc....

I mean I wonder what motivated him. He did that disc (as per discogs) at least TWO YEARS after A&M dumped quad altogether.
Perhaps it was a "pet project" for himself.
If it was.....ok Darrel......time to share with the rest of us little people.

Either reason or rationale aside.,, I wouldn't mind a copy.......A UMG pure audio or unpure quad audio would be just fine.(y)

I assume you've picked up\heard of Audio Fidelity's Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds of Fire" on quadrophonic sacd....?

Also some Mahavishnu courtesy of Miles Davis-In A Silent Way and the Collection Sampler (excerpt Bitches Brew).

This quady was not aware until lately. I'm a bit slow to the party sometimes.:confused:

pf Electric Moo
elp Official WBMFT , Works VOL1 PAAE NOW WAKW UP BNG
triunverat sparticus Pompei pld loves
TD Phaedra
Stand up by Tull will be their finest
How about in a gadda da vida for a hoot1

pf Electric Moo
elp Official WBMFT , Works VOL1 PAAE NOW WAKW UP BNG
triunverat sparticus Pompei pld loves
TD Phaedra
Stand up by Tull will be their finest
How about in a gadda da vida for a hoot1

I think both STAND UP and THIS WAS (coming soooon) will be the Tull hoots. They have now given me their two ultimates with a corrected Aqualung 5.1 (the 1974 quad mix was/is from inferior "takes") and of course my fave "BENEFIT" .

Iron Butterfly-In-a-godda-vida would be cool, especially the title song. I saw them perform live at the Winnipeg Arena in Aug 70 and that song live in the arena had so much natural surround-booming echo.They somewhat bested Led Zeppelin who played next.
Zep played Gallows Pole from the upcoming third album, which was their best song of the set, I think anyway.

(To be fair to Zep though, they had lost some of the original instruments on stage, when a freak T-shower poured onstage-unprotected at the venue which had started originally in the Winnipeg Stadium.This was the original site for this all day concert, and it was a last minute decision to move everyone over to the nearby Arena.The last three acts performed at the Arena.)

Do not sample Misplaced Childhood... It's a concept album: listen to the whole thing, from start to finish! One of my favorite album of all time. The greatest album of the 80s Neo Prog?

Francois, I could not agree with you more. A fantastic record, one of those which has to be listened to from beginning to end. But I'm getting off topic. I'll throw in Steve Hillage's "Motivation Radio" from 1977. Another one would be the debut album from Crack the Sky, although that's kind of stretching the definition of Prog.

Each and every acknowledgement of other's picks would be additionally requested...... so to ensure I add "my vote" I must list some I found special and on my want list.

Nektar-Recycled

Strawbs-From The Witchwood
Strawbs-Hero And Heroine

Dave Greenslade-Pentateuch....

Audience-The House On The Hill

Radiohead-OK Computer

Steve Hillage-Green

Nektar-Recycled

Pink Floyd-Obscurred By Clouds

EMERSON, LAKE and PALMER-WORKS

Can-Soon Over Babaluma
Can-Can Saw Delight
Can-Future Days

Tangerine Dream-Poland
Edgar Froese-Aqua

Supertramp-Even In The Quietest Moments
Supertramp-Breakfast In America

Hawkwind-Do Re Me Faso La
Hawkwind-Sonic Attack
Hawkwind-In Search Of Space
Hawkwind-Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
Hawkwind-Quark, Strangeness, Charm
Hawkwind-Hawkwind
Hawkwind-PXR5

Gong-Angels Egg
Gong-Flying Teapot
Gong-You
Gong-Camembert Electrique

Hatfield and the North

yes to this list, add Gong Shamal and Gazeuse

Well I'm not holding my breath, but some "early" Pink Floyd" live in quad or 5ch would be a treat. A VERY WELCOME TREAT INDEED.

In the near future perhaps we can obtain a QUAD CONCERT or two (or three....etc), when the next issue of Early Years comes up.So that would be 1973 and latter 70 's material , I would guess.:smokin

(DSOTM live....and up )

Boy oh boy,

We missed the ALAN PARSON'S PROJECT-TALES.... and upcoming EYE IN THE SKY release requests for surround.:rolleyes:

But live Floyd we requested and Pompeii comes to fruition. :upthumb

So anyways I would like to see Alan Parson's Project-"Entire Catalogue", for surround !!:smokin

Well I'm not holding my breath, but some "early" Pink Floyd" live in quad or 5ch would be a treat. A VERY WELCOME TREAT INDEED.

In the near future perhaps we can obtain a QUAD CONCERT or two (or three....etc), when the next issue of Early Years comes up.So that would be 1973 and latter 70 's material , I would guess.:smokin

(DSOTM live....and up )

As with this 94 ad pic. 20170315_173811.jpg

Back