First Quad Album to be Gold Seller?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is the criteria, then shouldn't it be South Pacific? Or Victory At Sea?

It totally sucks that Victory At Sea didn't come out on quad reel. Has anyone heard the Q8? Don't know why I never bought that one back in the day. I'd guess the wow & flutter really shows on classical Q8s though. That must be why I didn't buy it.

i'm curious if classical qualifies?
an Angel subsidiary of EMI did lots of single inventory releases. perhaps plenty of people purchased them
even without awareness of quadraphonic nature of records and played on ordinary stereo equipment.
there definitely was 100K and more sellers.

OTTO:

Why not. ANGEL Classical music SQ is still "QUAD" though admittedly does not get much discussion here at QQ (not a slam - we just happen to be mostly rockers). I own some of their records. I took a music appreciation class in high school and later when quad hit the scene recognized some of the titles and bought them. Loved that ANGEL inside the double circle.

Justin

Last edited:
It totally sucks that Victory At Sea didn't come out on quad reel. Has anyone heard the Q8? Don't know why I never bought that one back in the day. I'd guess the wow & flutter really shows on classical Q8s though. That must be why I didn't buy it.

After reading this post I was a little curious about "Victory at Sea" just to see what it was all about. I did a search on Google and came up with this http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/marantz-quad-your-setup-and-impressions.96825/, check the 3rd post down it does mention quad R to R.

After reading this post I was a little curious about "Victory at Sea" just to see what it was all about. I did a search on Google and came up with this http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/marantz-quad-your-setup-and-impressions.96825/, check the 3rd post down it does mention quad R to R.

Could be a Japan issue or something. The picture is too blurry to tell.

Okay experts - this is a message received at the QQ Facebook page:

"Question...was Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night the first quad album to go gold?"

We need to setup a go fund me account so AF can put this out on quad SACD. It's Brad Miller's fault that we don't have this already... afterall I'd take it in lossy dts if I had to.

I just saw this. So you guys are not shitting me someone actually gave away the elvis aloha album with some f ing tuna fish !?? That's just crazy nuts anyway you look at it. who in the hell did that?

I just saw this. So you guys are not shitting me someone actually gave away the elvis aloha album with some f ing tuna fish !?? That's just crazy nuts anyway you look at it. who in the hell did that?

No, It was a give away to Chicken of the Sea employees are a preview to the TV special. Chicken of the Sea was the sponsor of the TV special. Consumers did not get the LP with a can of tuna!

elvis.jpg

Could be a Japan issue or something. The picture is too blurry to tell.

We need to setup a go fund me account so AF can put this out on quad SACD. It's Brad Miller's fault that we don't have this already... afterall I'd take it in lossy dts if I had to.

I'm glad DTS/Brad Miller decided to release Jasmine Nightdreams instead as I love that album and the Quad mixes are wonderful.. but I wish they had also been able to stick at the Quad reissue game long enough to also get a DTS CD of They Only Come Out At Night Quad too.. damn shame that.

Edit: I should add, I have to thank that Brad Miller/DTS and that DTS CD of Jasmine Nightdreams for turning me onto both that particular album (which I had never heard before hearing the Quad) and onto Edgar Winter in a big way, he and his bandmates are now an essential part of the soundtrack to my life :upthumb

Last edited:
FINALLY! I was able to sign in and for years I could not, and got no response when I sent emails, so gave up....
THAT WAS ME who asked the question on first Gold certified quad lp, and I asked it because back in the day, I remember reading this not once but twice in different publications but it escapes me now which pubs. they were.

FINALLY! I was able to sign in and for years I could not, and got no response when I sent emails, so gave up....
THAT WAS ME who asked the question on first Gold certified quad lp, and I asked it because back in the day, I remember reading this not once but twice in different publications but it escapes me now which pubs. they were.

LENNNNNNNNNNON :banana: welcome back

Seeing as ALOHA FROM HAWAII went to #1 in Billboard, and it was quad-only for several years, I've no doubt it is the best selling quad title of the format, and no other Lp came close. It was also certified gold by the RIAA fairly quickly, which #1 albums usually did

And we can't factor in sales of stereo counterparts (even if that had been in the query), since most quad titles came well after the stereo editions had been released.

THE BEST OF THE DOORS might well be the #2 seller despite its low Top Lp's chart number, because it was also the quad album that remained in print the longest (into the late '80s).

ED :)

Seeing as ALOHA FROM HAWAII went to #1 in Billboard, and it was quad-only for several years, I've no doubt it is the best selling quad title of the format, and no other Lp came close. It was also certified gold by the RIAA fairly quickly, which #1 albums usually did

And we can't factor in sales of stereo counterparts (even if that had been in the query), since most quad titles came well after the stereo editions had been released.

THE BEST OF THE DOORS might well be the #2 seller despite its low Top Lp's chart number, because it was also the quad album that remained in print the longest (into the late '80s).

thanks Ed, I suspect you're right but I know I'm not talking out of my patoot, and I searched the net trying to find out but to no avail.

I might also add that both albums were released in 1973 and, as noted, quad only at the time, so naturally they would sell far more than those released in both stereo and quad, whether concurrently or post facto to the original stereo release.

Also, most quad albums and tapes at the time had list prices usually $1 above the stereo which, along with multiple formats confusing consumers, probably kept sales of quad lower than they might have been had there been a matching list price, or more quad-only titles. My opinion is that this lack of quad-only, coupled with decoding choices, hurt the format even beyond a higher price tag.

I might also add that both albums were released in 1973 and, as noted, quad only at the time, so naturally they would sell far more than those released in both stereo and quad, whether concurrently or post facto to the original stereo release.

Also, most quad albums and tapes at the time had list prices usually $1 above the stereo which, along with multiple formats confusing consumers, probably kept sales of quad lower than they might have been had there been a matching list price, or more quad-only titles. My opinion is that this lack of quad-only, coupled with decoding choices, hurt the format even beyond a higher price tag.

oh I remember the problems with the format all too well:)
Thank goodness we now have formats that at least have universal players to accommodate them.

Back