Styx In Multichannel SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Heard STYX - Lady on the radio this morning and it made me wonder if any of Styx would be candidates? Or, were they on some obscure label back then? Lady is from 1974...
Anyway, if we want ROCK titles, Styx would just be amazing...not sure if they were even known across the pond??

Heard STYX - Lady on the radio this morning and it made me wonder if any of Styx would be candidates? Or, were they on some obscure label back then? Lady is from 1974...
Anyway, if we want ROCK titles, Styx would just be amazing...not sure if they were even known across the pond??

Styx was on A&M. Not an obscure label.
The main issues with Styx would be the lack of albums mixed to Surround Sound and locating the Surround Sound tapes, if they had been made.

Styx was on A&M. Not an obscure label.
The main issues with Styx would be the lack of albums mixed to Surround Sound and locating the Surround Sound tapes, if they had been made.

Styx's first five albums (four studio albums and a Best of compilation) were on the Wooden Nickle label, which was distributed by RCA. Equinox, their fifth studio album, was their first on A&M. I am not familiar enough with their catalog to know whether their Wooden Nickle output ever received the Quad treatment (although I doubt it).

The track that Gene mentions, Lady, was taken from Styx II which was released in 1973.

As a side note, if you want to listen to a few seldom heard tracks of theirs which I still enjoy a lot, search for "A Day", "Best Thing", "Quick Is The Beat Of My Heart" and "What Has Come Between Us".

Styx's first five albums (four studio albums and a Best of compilation) were on the Wooden Nickle label, which was distributed by RCA. Equinox, their fifth studio album, was their first on A&M. I am not familiar enough with their catalog to know whether their Wooden Nickle output ever received the Quad treatment (although I doubt it).

The track that Gene mentions, Lady, was taken from Styx II which was released in 1973.

As a side note, if you want to listen to a few seldom heard tracks of theirs which I still enjoy a lot, search for "A Day", "Best Thing", "Quick Is The Beat Of My Heart" and "What Has Come Between Us".

If this is an erroneous listing (and I have a feeling it is) then it pretty much backs up what I have known, which is that none of Styx's albums have ever been released as Quadraphonic releases. https://www.discogs.com/Styx-The-Grand-Illusion/release/7913289

If this is an erroneous listing (and I have a feeling it is) then it pretty much backs up what I have known, which is that none of Styx's albums have ever been released as Quadraphonic releases. https://www.discogs.com/Styx-The-Grand-Illusion/release/7913289

I doubt that's a legit listing. Putting aside the fact that the album came out mid-1977, which is pretty late for a quad release, the artwork shown on that Discogs page is of a CD cover.

While not in Multichannel SACD, don't forget that there are two Stereo SACD editions of Paradise Theater from Styx:

210944.jpg
Paradise Theater - Hybrid Stereo SACD (Audio Fidelity)
http://audiofidelity.net/product/styx-paradise-theater

349833.jpg
Paradise Theater - Single Layer Stereo SACD (Universal Japan)
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-349833...limited-edition-japanese-import-shm-sacd.aspx

While not in Multichannel SACD, don't forget that there are two Stereo SACD editions of Paradise Theater from Styx:

View attachment 26277
Paradise Theater - Hybrid Stereo SACD (Audio Fidelity)
http://audiofidelity.net/product/styx-paradise-theater

View attachment 26276
Paradise Theater - Single Layer Stereo SACD (Universal Japan)
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-349833...limited-edition-japanese-import-shm-sacd.aspx

Just to let someone that hasn't purchased this title know...I purchased both editions and the AF version is just as good as the SHM...buy the AF version and save yourself some money...

What makes you think Jim Croce is coming? I was under the impression that the ABC Quad tapes were no longer around.
As for some of the other artists mentioned, I have always said since the announcement of "The Collection" that the BOC titles could be very possible suggestions because of their non-release on SACD thus far. As for the Winters, I would certainly love for AF to reissue "Jasmine Nightdreams" as an SACD, seeing as how it's likely to sound so much better than the current DTS-CD, and perhaps "Shock Treatment" and the Rick Derringer LP could also be good contenders, seeing as how they have also never been released on SACD before.
Then from Johnny, there's "John Dawson Winter III", "Saints & Sinners", and "Still Alive and Well", all of which have also never been released on SACD before, so just right there, we have about 8 potential rock titles for AF to explore, and let's hope they do! :)

I do a lot of reading between the lines, and I got that impressing by listening to other professionals, and their comments, their "shop talk" so to speak. Since I have none the right to print others conversations that I overheard, I can't repeat exact quotes sorry.

Oh, when did you hear the Croce's quad tapes are a-gone? Or are you simply referring to all the old ABC quad tapes being missing/dumped?

I do a lot of reading between the lines, and I got that impressing by listening to other professionals, and their comments, their "shop talk" so to speak. Since I have none the right to print others conversations that I overheard, I can't repeat exact quotes sorry.

Oh, when did you hear the Croce's quad tapes are a-gone? Or are you simply referring to all the old ABC quad tapes being missing/dumped?

Yeah I was referring to all the old ABC quad tapes being missing/dumped, and I naturally assume that includes the Jim Croce titles too, but I'll certainly take any of them if they are still around after all! :)

Back