Wise Words - Audio Fidelity Moves to Selective Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it a little ironic (and disappointing) that Audio Fidelity have largely avoided reissuing albums that have been previously available on Multichannel SACD, yet they have no issues with reissuing this album when it's already been available on SACD before?
They went from being one of my favorite labels to being one of this year's biggest disappointments…

(n) :(

While I somewhat feel your 'pain,' rt, there are nearly 30 QUALITY multichannel SACDs in my collection through the auspices of Audio Fidelity, most of which I never imagined would see the light of day....something which both MoFi and AP couldn't achieve in the many, many years both American reissue companies have been in business.

Don't blame AF. Marshall Blonstein, AF's CEO, was a fan of multichannel........blame the record companies' greed and escalating costs......a situation which I fear will never be reversed.

Accentuate the POSITIVE: It was a good run....while it lasted!

......Don't blame AF. Marshall Blonstein, AF's CEO, was a fan of multichannel........blame the record companies' greed and escalating costs......a situation which I fear will never be reversed. Accentuate the POSITIVE: It was a good run....while it lasted!

Yeah, it was a good and unexpected run. While it lasted it was pretty exciting, but I can honestly tell you, when Marshall told me that the BS&T Greatest Hits SACD was going to be stereo only, and the main reason was that the sales of the M/C SACDs did not increase enough to cover the extra cost, and that they would be "scaling the program way back", it was almost as if someone had shot my dog in front of me. It really took a very huge chunk of enthusiasm out of me and I really haven't paid as much attention to the whole surround thing anywhere near the way I did before that day. The proverbial balloon had finally burst for me. The wind was removed from my sails. The carrier signal had left my CD-4 demodulator...................

:(

Yeah, it was a good and unexpected run. While it lasted it was pretty exciting, but I can honestly tell you, when Marshall told me that the BS&T Greatest Hits SACD was going to be stereo only, and the main reason was that the sales of the M/C SACDs did not increase enough to cover the extra cost, and that they would be "scaling the program way back", it was almost as if someone had shot my dog in front of me. It really took a very huge chunk of enthusiasm out of me and I really haven't paid as much attention to the whole surround thing anywhere near the way I did before that day. The proverbial balloon had finally burst for me. The wind was removed from my sails. The carrier signal had left my CD-4 demodulator...................

:(

Don't despair Jon. Multichannel is still 'relatively' alive and kicking.' Just not from AF, AP or MoFi. Those upcoming Kratfwerk 3D Dolby Atmos LIVE titles of ALL eight of their studio albums is, IMO, a REAL bonanza. Last night I watched Sade's 'Bring Me Home Live' (EPIC BD~V) , a title which I've had for some time and I was absolutely mesmerized at the brilliant execution of this disc. SADE does NOT exist in multichannel on SACD (what a crying' shame) but this video [including the absolutely brilliant musicianship and out of sight awesome VIDEO show] restored my faith as it was indeed discrete in parts and the surrounds added a sense of excitement to the proceedings.

And there's a lot of discs like that. Just turn off the video and BAM, you still have the wonderful Surround audio.

Seems like a knee-jerk reaction if you ask me. They did absolutely no advertising, only put out 3-4 really heavy-hitting titles with the rest being fluff and filler, and are relying solely on internet sales. The program lasted approximately what, 12 months?

How much of an increase in sales were they expecting?? :mad:@:

That's the definition of insanity! Repeating the exact process expecting different results. Shit.

I can understand scaling back in order to control costs. I'm no fool, I understand that. But to go from two releases a month to zero seems a bit extreme. Obviously, an endeavor like this won't be an overnight success. Promotion is key. You can't NOT tell somebody about a product and expect it to sell. They should know a thing or two about selling a niche product. You want to increase sales? You're going to have to put in the leg work.

Record companies are no different. I don't understand that mentality either:

"Yes, we have this item. No, we don't want to sell it ourselves. You want to sell it? Oh, well then we want a BILLION dollars. You don't have a Billion? Aww, so sorry. No soup for you, then."

That just reminds me of the imbecile down the street. He's had a 1970 LS5 Chevelle SS Convertible (4 speed) sitting in the bushes for nearly 40 years. It's rotten to the core, has had multiple trees fall on it over the years, and I'd bet money it's going to rip in twain should a person be so bold to attempt to move it. Will the owner ever restore it? No. He's a drunk. He's in about the same shape as the car. Will he sell the car? SURE WILL! For 10x more than it would cost to go buy one already restored.

People are nuts.

We are at one of our pre-summer blah periods of the year, when it looks like there is nothing to get excited about. Nothing except Sgt. Pepper that is.

Lotus in ambient surround is just not cutting it for many of us. But here is the good part, the last time I felt that summer blahs kind of boredom, there were three things that happened all out of the blue. Wired, Meddle, and Chicago Quadio box. That was an amazing run of good news right when we were really jonesing for more quad.

So stay tuned, and we are going to get another vintage Santana from Japan, something cool from AF even, and Warner / Rhino's follow up to Chicago. Could be a multi-pack from Warner, but I would expect Doobies before that. AF wanted to do A Space in Time, and I fail to see how that would not sell well, it's an evergreen if ever there was one.

But yeah, AF needs to get a few more out in quad, wrap up the series with a bang rather than a wimper.

We are at one of our pre-summer blah periods of the year, when it looks like there is nothing to get excited about. Nothing except Sgt. Pepper that is.

Lotus in ambient surround is just not cutting it for many of us. But here is the good part, the last time I felt that summer blahs kind of boredom, there were three things that happened all out of the blue. Wired, Meddle, and Chicago Quadio box. That was an amazing run of good news right when we were really jonesing for more quad.

So stay tuned, and we are going to get another vintage Santana from Japan, something cool from AF even, and Warner / Rhino's follow up to Chicago. Could be a multi-pack from Warner, but I would expect Doobies before that. AF wanted to do A Space in Time, and I fail to see how that would not sell well, it's an evergreen if ever there was one.

But yeah, AF needs to get a few more out in quad, wrap up the series with a bang rather than a wimper.

I will take all Ten Years After in surround, please. Can you imagine Stonedhenge in surround ? I got to have it.

Actually not. Remember that the record labels and artists are getting $250,000 and up for the license to one song on an album for movie use.
That explains why some artists have their songs and albums available for movie licensing but not for reissues.

It also explains why licensing rates for album reissues continue to go up - not down.
There is a desire to bring the two closer together. Very difficult when optical disc sales of all types are declining.

But then again, if you can make more by licensing one song, who wants to mess with making and warehousing optical discs?

Apples and oranges. How does this logic even make sense? So because the market is still good for a specific song here or there to be in a movie means you continue to charge more than the market will demand for a physical CD reissue or download of an entire album that has nothing at all to do with what someone might want to be in a movie?

Please tell me the record company execs aren't really THIS stupid?

Am I the only one frustrated with the large number of Audio Fidelity MC SACDs that are out-of-stock? I keep checking periodically, but the ones that are OOS seem to remain so perpetually. I even wrote AF and received the following response, which seems pretty lame (to me at least):

You are right. We make limited runs and they seem to sell out very fast so when a title comes out that's the time to purchase it.

Thanks for your interest.

Marshall Blonstein - President
Audio Fidelity-Morada Music

Am I the only one frustrated with the large number of Audio Fidelity MC SACDs that are out-of-stock? I keep checking periodically, but the ones that are OOS seem to remain so perpetually. I even wrote AF and received the following response, which seems pretty lame (to me at least):

You are right. We make limited runs and they seem to sell out very fast so when a title comes out that's the time to purchase it.

ALL of the MoFi and Audio Fidelity SACDs, multichannel or stereo, are stamped in the rear with gold foil specifying LIMITED EDITION accompanied with a number. Even the Japanese SACDs are specified as Limited Editions [like the Stereo only SHM~SACDs].

The reality is, if you are interested in a specific limited edition title.....buy them as fast as you can or end up paying ridiculous premiums on either eBay or from Amazon third party vendors.

And yes, there are a number of MoFi and AF titles which don't sell out quickly and end up being advertised at greatly reduced prices but you'd have to be a mind reader to figure out what sells and what doesn't as the reissue companies NEVER publish their sales figures.

Brian (bmoura) also always recommends purchasing SACDs like these as soon as they come out rather than waiting until they hit the resell market once they are OOP for usually a much higher price than when they were sold at regular retail cost. However, I empathize with anyone who has come on board to loving surround sound music releases after certain discs have already gone OOP. (After all, how can you know that you want something if you do not even know it's out there?)
Thankfully, Acoustic Sounds has most of these SACDs still in stock, so if there's any you want now, I would buy them now through their site rather than continue to wait: http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&start=1 &labelid=682 &CategoryID=10

:)

ALL of the MoFi and Audio Fidelity SACDs, multichannel or stereo, are stamped in the rear with gold foil specifying LIMITED EDITION accompanied with a number. Even the Japanese SACDs are specified as Limited Editions [like the Stereo only SHM~SACDs].

The reality is, if you are interested in a specific limited edition title.....buy them as fast as you can or end up paying ridiculous premiums on either eBay or from Amazon third party vendors.

Word

Looks like Dutton-Vocalion is picking up where Audio-Fidelity gave up. Musicmagic is coming out on D-V SACD along with BOTH Pure Prarie League Quads, a Santana and The Jimmy Castor Bunch. All for around 11 Quid each. But remember folks, there's NO market for this stuff and the titles you suggest aren't worthy. *wink*wink* :cool:

Looks like Dutton-Vocalion is picking up where Audio-Fidelity gave up. Musicmagic is coming out on D-V SACD along with BOTH Pure Prarie League Quads, a Santana and The Jimmy Castor Bunch. All for around 11 Quid each. But remember folks, there's NO market for this stuff and the titles you suggest aren't worthy. *wink*wink* :cool:

I'd like to see AF say "don't count us out so fast" and release an class A quad everygreen for which they have had approval of for many months, but were waiting until fall for, or their sales to complete.

If I were Marshall I would not stand for having any sand kicked in my face by D-V and I'd just announce something special like A Space in Time, or Edgar or Johnny. I think that they (AF) have approvals on titles that are not yet green lit. But yeah RTF in quad was a subtle message if ever there was one. That message said "we'll take your quad buyers if you don't think you need them". Ouch!

I'd like to see AF say "don't count us out so fast" and release an class A quad everygreen for which they have had approval of for many months, but were waiting until fall for, or their sales to complete.

If I were Marshall I would not stand for having any sand kicked in my face by D-V and I'd just announce something special like A Space in Time, or Edgar or Johnny. I think that they (AF) have approvals on titles that are not yet green lit. But yeah RTF in quad was a subtle message if ever there was one. That message said "we'll take your quad buyers if you don't think you need them". Ouch!

As much as your scenario might be plausible, doubtful Michael Dutton would play such trivial games. This man in a very short amount of time has released a plethora of QUAD SACDs. OK, we ALL agree that few are 'evergreens.' I believe that D~V was simply allaying the disappointment of MANY over here at QQ that Musicmagic was NOT released in QUAD as were BS&T's Greatest Hits and Clapton/B B King's Riding With The King.

The same could be said regarding Sony Japan's decision to release the COMPLETE Lotus in QUAD [with a third and IMO best SACD] when it was well known that Marshall searched far and wide and couldn't locate the QUAD masters and released Lotus as a 2 disc Stereo SACD [I have BOTH].

Let's just be thankful that Michael Dutton is diversifying and can continue to release additional QUAD titles [four more due for September].

And leave the politicizing to the conspiracists.

Last edited:
As much as your scenario might be plausible, doubtful Michael Dutton would play such trivial games. This man in a very short amount of time has released a plethora of QUAD SACDs. OK, we ALL agree that few are 'evergreens.' I believe think D~V was simply allaying the disappointment of MANY over here at QQ that Musicmagic was NOT released in QUAD as were BS&T's Greatest Hits and Clapton/B B King's Riding With The King.

The same could be said regarding Sony Japan's decision to release the COMPLETE Lotus in QUAD [with a third and IMO best SACD] when it was well known that Marshall searched far and wide and couldn't locate the QUAD masters and released Lotus as a 2 disc Stereo SACD [I have BOTH].

Let's just be thankful that Michael Dutton is diversifying and can continue to release additional QUAD titles [four more due for September].

And leave the politicizing to the conspiracists.

"I believe think" is charming. You left out "Weather Report" as it was this and RTF together that sent so many of us into deep depression. Remember that, RTF and Weather Report both no quad layers when the tapes were there and likely approved.

Ok cool!

Again, let's not "shoot" at Marshall. That guy did us all a great service getting the titles out that he did. Sure, they may not have all been slam-dunk winners, but that's one great pile of classic quad on SACD that we probably would have never seen without him putting his butt on the line.

Again, let's not "shoot" at Marshall. That guy did us all a great service getting the titles out that he did. Sure, they may not have all been slam-dunk winners, but that's one great pile of classic quad on SACD that we probably would have never seen without him putting his butt on the line.

AGREED. BTW, Jon, any indication that Marshall has a few more QUAD SACDs forthcoming?

Back