Wise Words - Audio Fidelity Moves to Selective Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Then how come the movie and TV industries have been able to make surround THE standard?

Well the movie industry did have one big advantage in that they had a public forum in which they could showcase their new audio/visual innovations to the great unwashed masses called movie theaters (which of course eventually drove the Home Theater proliferation, along with the availability of cheap HDTV big screens and even cheaper Theater in the Box systems). The masses were not required to invest many thousands of dollars in high end audio/video equipment and even more in new software (thanks to rentals), nor were they required to figure out exactly what new expensive equipment they would need to enjoy all these new confusing and incompatible competing innovations). All that was required from them to enjoy all of these newfangled advances in sight and sound was the purchase of one singular movie ticket, a couple of bucks vs many thousands of bucks (and for many, more importantly...no clutter in their living spaces with all that wiring and equipment and speakers and cabinets and racks and remotes with HDMI and VGA and serial port and USB and DRM and...well I'm sure this is all just preaching to the choir, all of us in this hobby are well aware of these things. Oh and Heaven forbid don't even mention the mystical enchantment that is calibration, this thing is of the devil! (well actually for me I have a Onkyo with Audyssey so it can be a fairly easy process)

I mean face it those of us here love this hobby and by and large most of us revel in the minutiae that is involved with it. But make no mistake it is a hobby, and a hobby of the few, a niche within a niche within a crevice, within a niche, we...are...small! So maybe adding a surround layer may not be the singular cause for the failure of a disc to sell I do feel it could be a discouraging factor, for those in the niche above us, right above the crevice the stereo only crowd, which is also a niche but a much larger niche than ours and as such may hold some power over us in the respect to surround. As we are all aware via sites like SHF stereo snobbery and anti surround vitriol can be strong and the contrariness of some people to cut off their own noses to spite their own faces can be, well, irrational and I've no doubt for some they would refuse to buy a disc with a surround layer on what, to me, would be a flawed principle but their principle none the less. Weather there are enough of these to make a difference to surround I don't know but it may be at least a contributing factor and so could assist making surround an easy scapegoat if nothing else, you know the squeaky wheel effect and all.

So I guess what I am saying, in a long winded and wordy way is...who wants to start the first public SMT - Surround Music Theater © where the great unwashed masses can go for a couple of bucks and listen to several hours of music in glorious surround! (Surround-Sounds great to me, yet to the great unwashed masses, who knows, all things being equal it would undoubtedly illicit a great whopping...meh).

Oh well for what it's worth if AF only manages to get out a few Quad/Surround discs a year from here on out I can live with that, it was a wonderful (if expensive) ride and I am glad (and amazed at the rate they were coming) it lasted as long as it did, I bought almost all the AF Quad/Surrounds they put out (including a few stereo only SACDs) minus a few Quads I was not interested in during this period and love them all and will buy any they choose to put out in the future (Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny And Mutation...hint, hint) Thank you to all at AF!

Oh and I think it has been mentioned before but I would really like to suggest AF do "The Average White Band - AWB" Quad, I have a DVD-A conversion of this and love it, but would love an official high-quality SACD release of this one.

I must rise in defense of Mannheim Steamroller.
I'm at a loss as to why our learn-ed friend has cited them multiple times as exhibit A in the blockheadedness of what AF choose to release in surround due to supposed low sales.

I'm a bit touchy in that regard since Chip Davis is a local legend, who went from jingle musician to starting his own record label in the 70s and selling tens of millions.
Lots of audiophiles bought the Fresh Aire series, and AF should be praised for releasing a worthy historical catalog album.

As far as sales figures, I found it interesting to look around the web a bit rather than rely on rants, hyperbole and wild speculation.

Amazon US ranks it it at #115,340 in music sales, behind Come Away With Me #29,780 and Sly’s Greatest Hits #94,638, but ahead of Nightbirds #191,542.

(y) The BluRays of Skylarking and TFTO were #293 and #403 just now, in comparison. (y)

On the Acoustic Sounds web site, Fresh Aire 8 is currently #121 in MC SACD sales.

118 Breezin’
119 Birds of Fire
120 Muscle of Love
121 Fresh Aire 8
122 The Collection
123 Streetlife Serenade
124 Come Away With Me
126 Let It Snow
178 Captain Fantastic
180 Sly’s Greatest Hits
----------------------------

1 Wish You Were Here
2 Blow By Blow
3 The Doors
4 Winelight
5 Nightbirds (Apparently a bargain price can drive sales)
6 Morrison Hotel
7 LA Woman
8 Child Is Father To The Man
9 Best of Guess Who
10 Spectrum

-----------------------------

We now return you to your regular programming.

My ONLY objection to AF's release of Fresh Aire 8 was that a perfectly brilliant DVD~A still exists and IMO it was one of the lesser offerings from Mannheim Steamroller with previous Fresh Aire recordings faring far better in terms of musicality. I have ALL the Mannheim Steamroller multichannel DVD~As and relish each and every one of them and I've always been a proponent of their extraordinary sounding and performed Christmas Albums in DVD~A.

Interesting to note sales statistics and that George Benson's Breezin' tops the other mch SACDs on the list. Good album but the sonics are lackluster, IMO (have both the AF SACD and the botched DVD~A with bonus cuts). Also interesting to note that Nightbirds ranking did increase with Acoustic Sounds blowout sale of $10. Of course, my ranking is far different as I have ALL the SACDs noted in the poll but they ARE based on sales statistics and Acoustic Sounds has always boasted that they sell more SACDs than any other internet site.

It would be nice if Chip Davis would remix Fresh Aire 1-7 in surround but doubtful that will likely ever happen based on lackluster sales of Fresh Aire 8.

I'd bet AF regrets not having quad layer on WR and RTF as much as we do.

It's also a matter of pride having the most full featured SACDs on the market - offering up something no one else can.

...who wants to start the first public SMT - Surround Music Theater © where the great unwashed masses can go for a couple of bucks and listen to several hours of music in glorious surround! (Surround-Sounds great to me, yet to the great unwashed masses, who knows, all things being equal it would undoubtedly illicit a great whopping...meh).

I had an idea to start a Quad Club in Denver and hold meetings in a movie theater. I went so far as to get pricing for the rental, and it works out to about $1000 for a 3-4 hour block on an off-peak night. And if there were a storm, or a particularly nice evening, it might be something people could just shrug off. I live in the Denver area, and if ANYONE else is around here and interested in trying to get something going I would love to do a public surround session.

Oh, and per another thread I checked my local library, and their space is not wired for surround.

Anything new coming down the pipe from Audio Fidelity or have they thrown in the towel?

Audio Fidelity is continuing to release SACDs and explore future SACD releases.
This includes some selective Multichannel SACD releases down the road.

Audio Fidelity is continuing to release SACDs and explore future SACD releases.
This includes some selective Multichannel SACD releases down the road.

HALLELUJAH, bmoura

Just when we thought for sure that Marshall Blonstein @ AF was throwing :bounce17 in the multichannel towel:

QU:banana::banana::banana::banana: AD....LIVES!

:nukeMAKE MULTICHANNEL GREAT AGAIN!:nuke

Can we get a hint or is everything still classified as top secret by J. Edgar and the Fairy Brigade? :D

I don't think even Marshall has any idea if there will ever be another Multichannel SACD release from Audio Fidelity.
I think this is just a way of leaving a crack in the door should a really good title suddenly become available, even though I think the chances of another Multichannel SACD release from Audio Fidelity have dropped to an all-time low.

The last title I was asked about was not one that got me fired up, and I told him so. Other than that one, I haven't heard about anything else. The only thing I will tell you was that it was a "live" album, and honestly, live quad albums never did much for me.....

I don't think even Marshall has any idea if there will ever be another Multichannel SACD release from Audio Fidelity.
I think this is just a way of leaving a crack in the door should a really good title suddenly become available, even though I think the chances of another Multichannel SACD release from Audio Fidelity have dropped to an all-time low.

I would tend to believe 'multichannel maven' bmoura's assessment that more but highly 'selective' quad or 5.1 titles will indeed be released by AF........in the near future....but nowhere on the level of their previous multichannel release schedule.

Blame the GREEDY American record conglomerates for making it nigh impossible to negotiate 'canny' pricing on securing these quad or 5.1 masters! They'd prefer to see those masters rot in the vaults than strike more 'agreeable' deals!

The last title I was asked about was not one that got me fired up, and I told him so. Other than that one, I haven't heard about anything else. The only thing I will tell you was that it was a "live" album, and honestly, live quad albums never did much for me.....

Jon, can you share the name of that proposed LIVE title that you nixed. Most LIVE concerts do have only ambience in the rear which could just as well be served by one's pre/pro DSP modes had the release been stereo.

Last edited:
Jon, can you share the name of that proposed LIVE title that you nixed. Most LIVE concerts do have only ambience in the rear which could just as well be served by one's pre/pro DSP modes.

No. I don't want to betray my trust. If it actually is announced, I'll confirm, but sorry. I hate to be an ass, but no. :(

We are over-due for a quad title announcement from AF. Or even a quad announcement from Sony Japan, or Warner / Rhino.

Something is about to be earth shaking...

And no I agree, Live albums are not usually much to write home about in quad. ABB at Fillmore East is about the only cool one I can think of.

We need another hot studio title, and if they can't get a good one, then don't do it at all.

I think the labels shoot themselves in the foot, every time they release a surround disc or LP of a live show...just to show off the audience clapping behind you. Just like a certain minority of people who don't believe their givernment works...then once in power, installs a platoon of incompetant, opportunistic executives in key positions to make that fever dream come true, just so they can say, "SEE? SEE?!"

Sony cuts back on SACD production just as interest in their SACD-capable players start to catch fire in their own home country. 3D teevee sets are on the way out (Why? Because they've finally made enough improvements to the sets themselves, that make their 3D discs look terific. Can't have that...). While we're on that, how is it I'm hearing that Blu-Rays are "on their way out", just as they manage to eliminate their market-confusing format competitor, the HD-DVD, presumably because the public is satisfied with DVD...that they can take home and play on their $69...Blu-Ray players. And, one of my favorites: the first SACD release of polyphonic music - you know, where Resphigi actually assigns the orchestra to play from four discrete points in cathedrals and concert halls? - is a stereo release!

And, even if SACD still made traction in the classical arena despite Sony, it's full of groupthinkers who go apoplectic at the notion that recording with more than two mics is "unnatural" (yeah - like "stereo" itself isn't just a hypothetical soundstage gimmick intended to show the illusion of realism*)...because there's nothin' back there but ambience and audience coughing. I say, then put your money where your season tickets are...and remix those stereo SACD's into 3.1...or are you afraid that's just a slippery slope into accepting multichannel witchcraft? Satisfies your insistance that the music comes from the front, so, you shouldn't have a problem with that...hey, have you met my friend Fredrick Fennel? He recorded a crapload of those back before you were even born...!

And so, big deal, AF got their fingers a little burned on giving surround fans an actual excuse to pay for their classic rock favorites one more time...and they had to print up some corrected discs because THEY BLEW IT THE FIRST TIME THEMSELVES. Sorry, no. You don't get out of the technology because it's too hard to center a quad vocal from 4 decades ago (heck, the engineers from the '70s did the hard part for you already)...you get better at it, because this is what successful companies do.

*...because you record from one fixed position with two mics...and then tens of thousands of customers play it back through two speakers spread all the way across the room? No wonder First Flute seems to be sitting all the way over there...

Back