Wise Words - Audio Fidelity Moves to Selective Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect most of those purchases are from people who are already in the hi rez community and are disc buyers who are branching out...I don't think downloads will add to the hi rez community..only redistribute the methods employed for music...disc to downloads...the sad part is that blu ray audio would have been the easiest way to expand the hi rez customer base...the machines are inexpensive and a lot of people purchased surround speakers for their blu ray movies...but the blu ray marketing campaign failed miserably and the pathetic blu ray disc association is a joke...

Agree about BD~A but again, Clint, not backward compatible with the huge existing base of RBCD/Car players. In fact, I would venture to say that if one has the OPPO BDP~105......IMO, it sonically EXCELS at BD~A over SACD/DVD~A.

Unfortunately, the rules of baseball dictate "Three Strikes and yer OUT." AF's brief but welcomed QUAD revival and now dismissal is that third strike OUT. Yeah, we'll see the occasional 5.1/Quad remaster from the majors and smallish labels like Roadrunner and Esoteric, etc. but let's face the music.........the party's OVER.

At least we'll always have SURROUND movies and satellite/cable TV.....Too bad that 'mentality' didn't translate to the general public who really don't give a rat's ass about surround music....or even hi res for that matter!

I suspect most of those purchases are from people who are already in the hi rez community and are disc buyers who are branching out...I don't think downloads will add to the hi rez community..only redistribute the methods employed for music...disc to downloads...the sad part is that blu ray audio would have been the easiest way to expand the hi rez customer base...the machines are inexpensive and a lot of people purchased surround speakers for their blu ray movies...but the blu ray marketing campaign failed miserably and the pathetic blu ray disc association is a joke...

So true, and what blu-ray marketing campaign, there wasn't one in my area

Unfortunately, Universal installed a clueless dingbat as head of the BD~A launch who had absolutely NO idea what he was doing. Had they pursued HOT new mainstream artists to create 5.1 mixes and all importantly, marketed the format properly and possibly reduced the list price to under $20 it might've had a fighting chance.

Instead the same mentality as for the DVD~A and SACD 'launch' prevailed and it really didn't have any chance to succeed.

History always has an uncanny way of repeating itself. NO Common sense!

To be honest, I don't see any music marketing on TV anymore. It was just one of those things that seemed to disappear overnight. I can quite fondly remember as a kid not only all those Time Life or K-Tel sets, but some artists/groups would advertise their latest album on TV. I guess it's cost-prohibitive these days.

In my opinion, the biggest problem that I see is that these specialty audiophile labels very often reissue albums that have a very limited commercial appeal. I don't understand why some of the albums get selected for reissue in the first place.

To be honest, I don't see any music marketing on TV anymore. It was just one of those things that seemed to disappear overnight. I can quite fondly remember as a kid not only all those Time Life or K-Tel sets, but some artists/groups would advertise their latest album on TV. I guess it's cost-prohibitive these days.

Seemingly, everything's done over the internet today. If you're interested in a specific artist you visit their website and sign up for their latest tour dates, etc and they email you when there's a new album and/or event. It's way more cost effective than advertising on TV which if you haven't noticed IS cost prohibitive.

BTW, they still have those infomercials selling artist compilations but they usually broadcast very late at night (actually early morn) when advertising rates are at their cheapest!

In my opinion, the biggest problem that I see is that these specialty audiophile labels very often reissue albums that have a very limited commercial appeal. I don't understand why some of the albums get selected for reissue in the first place.

I'll buy that for a dollar! But as we've learned, some major players are either uninterested, want exorbitant amounts of money, or simply want to exert their rights-holding power and say "No". So, that leaves the reissue companies going for second-tier stuff. Meanwhile, the major labels are cramming the same stuff down our throats over, and over, and over again selling less and less each time going "What are we doing wrong?"

i guess the specialty audiophile labels has customer base of people with special needs.

AF's brief but welcomed QUAD revival and now dismissal is that third strike OUT. Yeah, we'll see the occasional 5.1/Quad remaster from the majors and smallish labels like Roadrunner and Esoteric, etc. but let's face the music.........the party's OVER.

And the occasional Multichannel SACD release from Audio Fidelity, Analogue Productions, Sony Japan.

I'll buy that for a dollar! But as we've learned, some major players are either uninterested, want exorbitant amounts of money, or simply want to exert their rights-holding power and say "No"....
I would have paid exorbitant amounts for certain titles. Probably titles already "available" on so-called "conversions" so that's probably why they didn't do 'em.

And the occasional Multichannel SACD release from Audio Fidelity, Analogue Productions, Sony Japan.

Or as we NOW call it at QQ....the 'trickle down' effect.

But on a positive note, Brian, those occasional new QUAD releases will always be embraced with OPEN ARMS!

i guess the specialty audiophile labels has customer base of people with special needs.

I'm hoping this is an innocent case of your written English sometimes losing something in translation (not being horrible but it does) otherwise that is seriously offensive to people with actual special needs.

Right now I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

c'mon Adam. lately you become too sensitive to everything i say :p
the need for SACDs under huge list availability of CDs aren't the "special need"?

b.t.w. have you any idea why topic with suggestions fo AF doesn't opens further than page #50

oh man, you're so serious... that i want to cry.

imprint and influence of AF and similar labels on market so small, that impact of their actions
on overall processes in industry absolutely miniscule, next to zero.
i really don't know what this topic is all about.

I wish that this thread had been started after "Full Sail' and that next rock title on SACD had arrived. Like maybe closer to an end of the year recap on the successes and the bumps in the road in the surround series on AF.

It just that summer is just beginning and it's a time to be happy and enjoying your music. I have 17 SACDs from AF to enjoy right now plus the two we know are coming soon.

I wish that this thread had been started after "Full Sail' and that next rock title on SACD had arrived. Like maybe closer to an end of the year recap on the successes and the bumps in the road in the surround series on AF.

It just that summer is just beginning and it's a time to be happy and enjoying your music. I have 17 SACDs from AF to enjoy right now plus the two we know are coming soon.

It's not the end of the world. Maybe we should ask for clarification of what "occasional" means?
If they're going to cut back to one album a month, I'd be fine with that.
Heck, even if we only get one every 2 months, that's OK too.

Too bad there isn't a budget for advertising. That would help spread the word. There's only so much ground word-of-mouth and the internet can cover.

One other thing I thought about today.

If AF are slowing down the number of Multichannel SACD releases, that probably means that we shouldn't expect another "Collection" from them anytime soon.
If expenses vs sales is an issue right now, I would bet that "The Collection" was one of the most costly SACDs they have put together so far, and especially with a lot of mixed reviews on it right now, AF are probably not looking at putting another one together right now, although I certainly would love for them to put together a Warner/Rhino Quad collection at some point. :)

"The Collection" may be a sign of future releases by AF, which is fine with me. Most of their quad releases I was buying for one or two songs, the rest being filler, and a whole disc of "hits" will be more interesting, although I wouldn't mind getting all of "Nashville Skyline".

"The Collection" may be a sign of future releases by AF, which is fine with me. Most of their quad releases I was buying for one or two songs, the rest being filler, and a whole disc of "hits" will be more interesting, although I wouldn't mind getting all of "Nashville Skyline".

Yeah too bad "Nashville Skyline" is about to be released as a stereo-only SACD from MOFI.
As much as Audio Fidelity has done to help bring Quad back, MOFI has done just as much to make sure it stays as buried as possible. :mad:

Back