Wise Words - Audio Fidelity Moves to Selective Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HATE to be the bearer of BAD NEWS, but Marshall Blonstein emailed me back this afternoon and broke the news that both Tail Spinning and Musicmagic will be hybrid STEREO SACDs.

No one is MORE bummed out than I am since logically, they'd make SUPERB QUAD releases.

No hype, there are no words to express the degree of personal disappointment at that news, Ralph :(
(but I am grateful to you for reaching out to Mr. Blonstein to get confirmation either way, not least because you have saved me shelling out for two more Stereo only discs I do not want and will not be buying)
even if I don't like the reply one iota, Ralph, I do thank you for making the enquiry.

So.. in the interest of fairness about these things, obviously we don't know the backstory and there may be mitigating circumstances, as to why these are to be Stereo only.. but if the Quads are/were available and useable, this pulling the plug/rug on Surround by AF of titles that have such wonderful Quad mixes really hurts, almost as much as MFSL's stubborn refusal to include Surround yet release title after title with extant Quad mixes.

Unpopular sentiment perhaps but I'd pay more for these AF discs if that's what it takes to make them viable in Surround.. who else is gonna reissue these now on SACD including the Surround..? Sony Japan? Slim possibility I guess? Damn damn shame...

Wow. I have to say I wasn't that upset by BS&T GH turning out as stereo-only, but I'm very upset that the Quad mixes are not on either of these upcoming releases.
I listened to both in stereo this morning, and I particularly loved "Musicmagic" so I was anticipating what this Quad mix would sound like all cleaned up on SACD, but now that it won't happen, my elation turned to deflation.
But hey, I may as well look on the bright side and say "Thank you, Audio Fidelity, for giving me a reason to NOT spend my hard-earned money on these releases!"

Wow, how ridiculous.

Wonder if these were negotiated with a view toward a quad release and then the financing for the quad layers was pulled?

Won't be buying these and encourage others to do the same to send a message about quadblocking.

Marshall's brief email also included the words "We're trying to be more selective....." and I DO appreciate his prompt and very courteous reply (how many CEOs EVER reply personally????) but I was as perplexed as you and I'm sure others will be that these two Jazz/Fusion releases SHOULD'VE been multichannel.

Marshall's brief email also included the words "We're trying to be more selective....." and I DO appreciate his prompt and very courteous reply (how many CEOs EVER reply personally????) but I was as perplexed as you and I'm sure others will be that these two Jazz/Fusion releases SHOULD'VE been multichannel.

Well I hope everyone on QQ is "more selective" with what they purchase from AF in the future, starting by not buying these two SACDs.
If they want to shift focus to more stereo SACDs that's fine, but why can't they just release albums that never had Quad mixes to begin with?!
I hope they don't become as bad as MOFI...

Yeah, my issue isn't that they're issuing stereo SACDs, it's that they seem to be picking stuff that has quad mixes and then not including the quad mixes. The quad era was relatively short, from about Dec. 1970 until mid 1977 (with only 72-75 being particularly 'busy') and there are tons of good albums released outside the quad era that would make excellent stereo-only SACDs. Why are you picking albums with corresponding quad releases from that small window when you could pick albums from outside that window (or albums from that timeframe that weren't released in quad) and not permanently block the release of the quad mix in the process? There are tons of great stereo albums just begging for the SACD treatment - how about Michael McDonald's self-titled solo album from 1982 (the only digital release is a CD in the '80s) or Ambrosia's Life Beyond L.A. (1978) or One Eighty (1980) (only released on awful brickwalled CD in the 2000's) or some Parliament-Funkadelic (none of their albums have been released in hi-res) or Beastie Boys, or a million other things?

Instead a couple of albums with quad mixes are chosen (and let's be fair, these albums are good, but neither band's peak output) but the quad mixes aren't included. Frustrating to say the very least.

Wow, how ridiculous.

Wonder if these were negotiated with a view toward a quad release and then the financing for the quad layers was pulled?

Won't be buying these and encourage others to do the same to send a message about quadblocking.

Well said, Dave.. hate to say it or even feel it when AF have released so many great Surround discs but man these two being in Stereo only really sting.

..guess we better hang onto those Quad records and Q8 tapes all the more..
despite any shortcomings of the legacy Quad formats, an old SQ record or Quad 8-track is infinitely better than NO Quad at all :)

Well said, Dave.. hate to say it or even feel it when AF have released so many great Surround discs but man these two being in Stereo only really sting.

..guess we better hang onto those Quad records and Q8 tapes all the more..
despite any shortcomings of the legacy Quad formats, an old SQ record or Quad 8-track is infinitely better than NO Quad at all :)

Adam, you had better bronze those suckers (QUAD VINYLs).

I wholeheartedly agree with the always wise steelydave that choosing albums with existing QUAD masters for stereo SACD release was UNWISE and downright frustrating. A month or so ago when some of those AF QUAD SACDs were going for $10~15 I had a queasy feeling that perhaps AF's plunge into QUAD wasn't as profitable as most of us had hoped (and DREAMED). What other company other than AF (after the 'brief' 00 SACD/DVD~A launch) had taken this gamble? NONE. Not AP nor especially MoFi.

At QQ we celebrate all things SURROUND (even dream in it) but we must realize that NOT everyone who reads or posts on this forum purchases everything that AF has released in QUAD/5.1. That old adage 'safety in numbers' apparently didn't translate into healthy enough sales figures ensuring that AF turned a profit and to be real..... as with ALL companies, LARGE and small, PROFIT is the driving force.

I'm sure we'll see a few more QUAD SACD releases from AF but as we WERE forewarned.....and we WERE....just don't expect those two a month that seemingly flowed like manna for the past two or so years.

I hold no ill will towards AF....they tried, they REALLY did but it seems the greedy record companies who hold reign over those QUAD masters made it nigh impossible and prohibitively expensive to negotiate the necessary contracts in bringing these QUAD SACDs to fruition........separate contracts for the RBCD/STEREO/QUAD layers......absolutely insanely ridiculous.

So those hundreds upon hundreds of pristine QUAD/5.1 masters will rot in the vaults .......... which is the REAL crime. There was such an artfulness to those early mixes at the dawn of the Quad 'revolution' and now we've all somehow lost the revolution to ....you guessed it: CORPORATE GREED!

Oh.. blimey.. Ralph.. maybe I'm reading it wrong but... that implies the Quads are (or rather, were) available to AF at this time..?

Why would you actively choose these two titles with such incredible Quad mixes and then not release them in Surround?

Haven't AF got anything else on the horizon they could release instead and do these down the line in Surround when they've shifted some more of the surround inventory they are holding?

Maybe it doesn't work like that.. I dunno..?

This is quite an error of judgement on these two albums in particular, imho.. and if this is indicative of the logic behind the future of these releases I fear at this rate it risks undoing all the good work they've done hitherto. What a shame.. :(

Is it too late for Mr. Blonstein to reconsider?

These wouldn't have been big sellers with or without surround, so how can the costs of including the Surround be so staggeringly huge that its not justifiable..?

I'm mindful of this:

Dutton Vocalion could make the numbers stack up to license and release NOT ONE BUT TWO SURROUND ALBUMS ON ONE SACD - and it ultimately ONLY costs the customer a TENNER per disc, that's cheaper than me buying the two albums on old Quad vinyl..!!!

AF SACDs cost many times that, each, one album per disc.. and now we're not getting any Surround on them..!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

:nuke

Sorry for the extreme reaction everybody (and shouting in all block caps, hate doing that, my apologies) but this is just an awful situation, I could weep, really, these two old Quads mean a lot to me... DAMMIT :(

Adam, you had better bronze those suckers (QUAD VINYLs).

I wholeheartedly agree with the always wise steelydave that choosing albums with existing QUAD masters for stereo SACD release was UNWISE and downright frustrating. A month or so ago when some of those AF QUAD SACDs were going for $10~15 I had a queasy feeling that perhaps AF's plunge into QUAD wasn't as profitable as most of us had hoped (and DREAMED). What other company other than AF (after the 'brief' 00 SACD/DVD~A launch) had taken this gamble? NONE. Not AP nor especially MoFi.

At QQ we celebrate all things SURROUND (even dream in it) but we must realize that NOT everyone who reads or posts on this forum purchases everything that AF has released in QUAD/5.1. That old adage 'safety in numbers' apparently didn't translate into healthy enough sales figures ensuring that AF turned a profit and to be real.....with ALL companies, LARGE and small, PROFIT is the driving force.

I'm sure we'll see a few more QUAD SACD releases from AF but as we WERE forewarned.....and we WERE....just don't expect those two a month that seemingly flowed like manna for the past two or so years.

I hold no ill will towards AF....they tried, they REALLY did but it seems the greedy record companies who hold reign over those QUAD masters made it nigh impossible and prohibitively expensive to negotiate the necessary contracts in bringing these QUAD SACDs to fuition........separate contracts for the RBCD/STEREO/QUAD layers......absolutely insanely ridiculous.

So those hundreds upon hundreds of pristine QUAD/5.1 masters will rot in the vaults .......... which is the REAL crime. There was such an artfulness to those early mixes at the dawn of the Quad 'revolution' and now we've all somehow lost the revolution to ....you guessed it: CORPORATE GREED!

Yes yes yes.. but can't they (AF) release something else in Stereo only that has no Quad/Surround mix available?

They (AF) are now effectively Quadblocking other labels..

Oh sod it, I'm ducking out of this thread.. it is not going to end well if I continue chewing the cud with you guys here on this one... gutted :(

I HATE to be the bearer of BAD NEWS, but Marshall Blonstein emailed me back this afternoon and broke the news that both Tail Spinning and Musicmagic will be hybrid STEREO SACDs.

No one is MORE bummed out than I am since logically, they'd make SUPERB QUAD releases.

Yeah, I can "get over it" as the saying goes. But the fact that there are quad mixes of these two albums, and that they likely are available to license is a sting that is a little hard to swallow.

I originally had no doubt that quad layers would be included. Because I figured if they were going stereo only, they would have chosen higher profile titles from each of these two artists.

I guess it's just too damned expensive to master a 4-channel tape, and drop it into the authoring stage - even when they can get licensing clearances.

What I'm wondering.......Just as SONY LEGACY is releasing the two upcoming Jimi Hendrix stereo SACDs through Analogue Productions at 'somewhat of a premium' ($35), why can't AUDIO FIDELITY work out a similar arrangement with SONY to unleash a number of QUAD masters in their vaults which could be amenable to BOTH parties?

What I'm wondering.......Just as SONY LEGACY is releasing the two upcoming Jimi Hendrix stereo SACDs through Analogue Productions at 'somewhat of a premium' ($35), why can't AUDIO FIDELITY work out a similar arrangement with SONY to unleash a number of QUAD masters in their vaults which could be amenable to BOTH parties?

Audio Fidelity have gone over this. There are not enough numbers to support some titles on quad. Certain ones did ok because they were of interest to the non-quad market anyway, others did not do so hot because the quad market was not enough to make up a lack of sales.

Jimi Hendrix unissued masters on SACD is one thing, old quad tapes and then sharing the revenue between two companies is another.

This is why the Sony Japan series has the most potential, they do not have to share the rev, they do not have to pay advance on the item, and they already own the tapes, and they can charge double what Audio Fidelity can with their beefed up deluxe packages.

Warners Quadio too, they already have the licenses and own a bunch of masters, if they decide to do something, it is less expensive and easier. Just a quick check to make sure that the artists do not have something written into their contract about no new comps, no new formats, and no alt. mixes w/o prior approval.

So "in-house" reissues of quad masters is most likely, and that leaves open Sony, Warners, and Uni. Still potential.

Audio Fidelity have gone over this. There are not enough numbers to support some titles on quad. Certain ones did ok because they were of interest to the non-quad market anyway, others did not do so hot because the quad market was not enough to make up a lack of sales.

Jimi Hendrix unissued masters on SACD is one thing, old quad tapes and then sharing the revenue between two companies is another.

This is why the Sony Japan series has the most potential, they do not have to share the rev, they do not have to pay advance on the item, and they already own the tapes, and they can charge double what Audio Fidelity can with their beefed up deluxe packages.

Warners Quadio too, they already have the licenses and own a bunch of masters, if they decide to do something, it is less expensive and easier. Just a quick check to make sure artists does not have something written into their contract about no new comps, no new formats, and no alt. mixes w/o prior approval.

So in-house reissues of quad masters is most likely, and that leaves open Sony, Warners, and Uni. Still potential.

Well.. why don't they (AF) concentrate on bigger sellers as more of a priority at this point and include Quad/5.1 if available/useable on the bigger more guaranteed sellers and then leave the less rich pickings that do have Quad/5.1 mixes til later on..?

I mean, really, its faintly daft there's AF Surround SACDs of stuff like that Mannheim Steamroller and such and they decide to omit the Quad on these upcoming Weather Report and Return To Forever discs..!? Will they even be SACDs..? Maybe they'll "just be CDs"..

Also, how can AP make it work, even including MultiChannel and not advertising it to anyone, as with the recent Beach Boys fiasco..?
Yet AF can't make it work with titles that can't really be any less desirable than Surf's Up & Sunflower.. no disrespect to the Beach Boys or those two albums of their's but really.. how big is the market for those BB albums nowadays anyway...? Pet Sounds they are not! Maybe AF could turn their sights to Capitol (etc) for some Quad & 5.1 if licensing their product is cheaper than whatever deal they've got going with Sony?

Makes little sense (admittedly, to just a simple consumer like me, anyway) to shrink the already small market for titles such as Tale Spinnin' and Musicmagic by not including the Quad.

Got to say, this really is a bit of a nightmare scenario for me, any hopes I had of old Quads and 5.1's (unreleased or just hard to get nowadays) ever having a shot at making it out on AF Surround SACD are now fading fast with these two titles being Stereo only :(

Well.. why don't they (AF) concentrate on bigger sellers as more of a priority at this point and include Quad/5.1 if available/useable on the bigger more guaranteed sellers and then leave the less rich pickings that do have Quad/5.1 mixes til later on..?

I mean, really, its faintly daft there's AF Surround SACDs of stuff like that Mannheim Steamroller and such and they decide to omit the Quad on these upcoming Weather Report and Return To Forever discs..!? Will they even be SACDs..? Maybe they'll "just be CDs"..

Also, how can AP make it work, even including MultiChannel and not advertising it to anyone, as with the recent Beach Boys fiasco..?
Yet AF can't make it work with titles that can't really be any less desirable than Surf's Up & Sunflower.. no disrespect to the Beach Boys or those two albums of their's but really.. how big is the market for those BB albums nowadays anyway...? Pet Sounds they are not! Maybe AF could turn their sights to Capitol (etc) for some Quad & 5.1 if licensing their product is cheaper than whatever deal they've got going with Sony?

Makes little sense (admittedly, to just a simple consumer like me, anyway) to shrink the already small market for titles such as Tale Spinnin' and Musicmagic by not including the Quad.

Got to say, this really is a bit of a nightmare scenario for me, any hopes I had of old Quads and 5.1's (unreleased or just hard to get nowadays) ever having a shot at making it out on AF Surround SACD are now fading fast with these two titles being Stereo only :(
I know, it's one thing to see them issue some titles with no quad tapes available, and it's another thing when the tapes are there and we are not getting them.

I get the feeling that Marshall is not the only one who gets to choose which titles that they do. Some one else or more than one other person is choosing. A committee is picking the titles, as there is some inconsistency in the approach.

I just wish that there was someone with deep pockets who could come along and get some of the stuff out that is doable. Like sink a million into a five-year quad excavation project. Or fund the quad layer mastering licensing end of it for AF, so that they could concentrate on the stereo end of it.

I have a feeling that the market is shrinking for SACD regardless of quad, and that the choices they make in titles is going to make or break them.

But I really wish I knew if my personal favorites were money losers for AF? If Alice Cooper MoL was not a big sales hit, then I should quit making any suggestions. If Full Sail and Secret Treaties are not a full return to sales expectations, then I should shut up and let them continue with America, and Judy Collins albums.

It is indeed very frustrating to hear that AF will be releasing these 2 titles on SACD and there will not be the added quadraphonic multichannel layer. So, what could it be?

1) The additional cost to master and create the surround layer is not worth the return in sales?
2) The additional licensing costs were too restrictive?
3) The quadraphonic masters were missing or in bad shape?
4) Sony did not want to license the quad tracks to AF?
5) These titles were originally chosen because they had quad tracks, but upper management or investors did not want to spend the extra cash because of poor returns on earlier titles?

Who knows. The bottom line is it sucks.

So close..............................................................................................................................................................but so far away.

And these being late release Columbia quads, wow, what a missed opportunity.

I know, it's one thing to see them issue some titles with no quad tapes available, and it's another thing when the tapes are there and we are not getting them.

I get the feeling that Marshall is not the only one who gets to choose which titles that they do. Some one else or more than one other person is choosing. A committee is picking the titles, as there is some inconsistency in the approach.

I just wish that there was someone with deep pockets who could come along and get some of the stuff out that is doable. Like sink a million into a five-year quad excavation project. Or fund the quad layer mastering licensing end of it for AF, so that they could concentrate on the stereo end of it.

I have a feeling that the market is shrinking for SACD regardless of quad, and that the choices they make in titles is going to make or break them.

But I really wish I knew if my personal favorites were money losers for AF? If Alice Cooper MoL was not a big sales hit, then I should quit making any suggestions. If Full Sail and Secret Treaties are not a full return to sales expectations, then I should shut up and let them continue with America, and Judy Collins albums.

Hmm.. but would it really take a million dollars and five years to get the rest of the more sought after Quads out now?
Not so sure about that to be honest.

Quads a finite thing of course and not a really huge amount of titles or long timeframe in which to choose from, for a Classic Rock kind of audience..

If we pause to consider whats left that might really appeal to such a mainstream rock/pop audience, even including titles for fans of Country, Folk, Fusion, etc (basically anything non-Classical) what do we really have?

I realise this is not the right thread, my apologies, so it should probably be moved but when the conversations flowing you just go with the flow don't you?

Anyway, over the years we've already had numerous Quad big hitters and other notable Quads whether from DTS, Sony, EMI, more recently AF have done many stunners too - credit where credit is due, they pulled off quite a coup, for a while, I don't want to seem ungrateful for AF's efforts but now the balls being dropped and its such a shame there isn't some way to work it out to Quad listeners advantage...

I'm thinking we can eliminate all the stuff that's already been done.. like;

2 released (of 2 in total) Deep Purple,
1 released (of 4 in total) Mike Oldfield,
3 (of 4) Jeff Beck,
2 (of 2) Gentle Giant,
1 (of 2) Nektar,
6 (of 6) Moody Blues,
1 (of 5) Isley Brothers,
1 (of 5) O'Jays,
1 (of 4) Edgar Winter,
2 (of 2) Eric Clapton,
2 (of 2) Paul McCartney/Wings,
ALL CHICAGO QUADS (!),
3 (of 4) Jethro Tull,
1 (of 2) Bread,
The Doors,
1 (of 4) Blood Sweat & Tears,
2 (of 4) EW&F,
2 (of 4) Herbie Hancock,
1 (of 2) Alice Cooper,
1 (of 2) America,
1 x Guess Who,
3 (of 3) Rick Wakeman,
1 x BTO,
2 (of 2) Ohio Players,
1 (of 1) Steve Miller,
1 (of 1) Allman Brothers,
1 (of 3) Billy Joel,
Sly & Family Stone,
1 (of 2) Mahavishnu Orchestra,
1 (of 2) BOC,
2 (of 3) Loggins & Messina..
and that Billy Cobham Quad = amazing!

..so that means the big sellers that we're left with are bands & artists like;

The Eagles (non-starter apparently, so forget their 2 x Quads),
Aerosmith (ditto, said to be off the table.. there we are, 3 more Quads down),
Edgar Winter and related (off the table too by the sounds of it.. so forget another 6 Quads!),
Simon & Garfunkel / Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel solo (that rules out yet a further 6 Quads!)

..then discount all the major MFSL Quadblocks, including..

Janis Joplin,
Miles Davis (2),
Bob Dylan (3),
Doobies (4),
Santana (11 in all)
..that's all I can recall off the top of my head but the list of Quads you can forget about on the basis MFSL have already pipped other labels to the post is quite considerable!..

..then you start to get into the arguably harder to sell things, either lower rung titles by popular artists
(Musicmagic for example! or the other 2 x Blood Sweat & Tears Quads)..
- or Soul/R&B (quite a lot of that in Quad never reissued to this day, seems kind of unlikely anytime soon),
- Vocalists (Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Barbra Streisand = I make it 22 Quads just by those three acts!)
- other artists, more entrenched in the 70's or that I suspect may be a tough sell nowadays or to the audience labels like AF cater to (Janis Ian, Neil Diamond, Buddy Miles, Dave Mason, Dan Fogelberg, Lee Michaels.. that's another 10 you can probably discount)..
- and then think about 70's Country music, would that even sell much anymore? (Kris Kristofferson, Mac Davis, Lynn Anderson, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Charlie Rich, Johnny Cash = that's a further 19 Quads out the window and that's just Columbia/Epic & assoc label artists, many more Country Quads from RCA, etc!).

So, point I'm making, ultimately, is what Quads are there really left still to be released in a modern day format that enough people would want to buy?

Would it require a million quids worth of licensing, remastering, production, distribution money costs to make it happen - and would it take a 5 year period to do so?

Unconvinced to be honest.. I reckon it could be done for less and in a short timeframe -- but that is just my 2 cents and I really am nothing and no-one, I'm just a customer.

Well we will just have to wait and see if AF has another quad title coming later. Maybe in a few months we will see something good, just not right now.

Right now it's Sony Japan and Warner Quadio time here at Club Quadraphonic. Either of these two giants throw another title at us before the end of the year and I can get over WR and RTF on AF for now.

Things are not so bad in the big picture are they.

The more I think about this, the more it just does not make any sense at all.

With BS&T Greatest Hits and now "Tale Spinnin" and "Musicmagic", it's almost like Audio Fidelity are acquiring these albums for reissue because of their Quadraphonic mixes but then deciding after the reissue license has already been approved if they want them to be stereo/multichannel or just stereo.

What particularly reeks about this decision is that it's not like there would be repeat content between these two Jazz Fusion SACDs and already released titles from AF (as was the case with BS&T).
This was a perfect opportunity to cater to all three audiences (stereo CD buyers, stereo SACD buyers, and multichannel SACD buyers) but if they are going to leave out the multichannel Quad mixes on these releases, then it's a no-buy for me. Simple as that!

Is it too harsh to say that I hope these two titles fail miserably in terms of sales?
(No. I don't think it's too harsh. I have now purchased every single one of these Quad SACDs. Some of them were just purchased to 'help the cause', and a lot of them continue to sit on the shelf barely getting played, while I'm constantly playing the Yes & XTC Blu-Rays which are much better value for the price IMHO)

It is indeed very frustrating to hear that AF will be releasing these 2 titles on SACD and there will not be the added quadraphonic multichannel layer. So, what could it be?

1) The additional cost to master and create the surround layer is not worth the return in sales?
2) The additional licensing costs were too restrictive?
3) The quadraphonic masters were missing or in bad shape?
4) Sony did not want to license the quad tracks to AF?
5) These titles were originally chosen because they had quad tracks, but upper management or investors did not want to spend the extra cash because of poor returns on earlier titles?

Who knows. The bottom line is it sucks.

So close..............................................................................................................................................................but so far away.

And these being late release Columbia quads, wow, what a missed opportunity.
Well, once we wait and see, and see what comes next as a quad title from AF, then we will know how it all shook out. If we get a really hot rock title for pre-Christmas in quad, then I can forgive the cruelty we are currently facing.

10 years is a long time in SACD-showbiz.. maybe AF will do "That's The Way Of The World" & "They Only Come Out At Night" on Surround SACD too if they choose to do "Live Evil" on that basis? :eek:
(Never gonna give up hope that somebody does those two colossal Quads someday! :D )

After what's happened with "Tale Spinnin" and "Musicmagic" I have given up trying to predict what AF will or will not release in Quad, but my overwhelming feeling is that if they cannot be bothered to go in full and include both the stereo and Quad mixes for albums that have never been released on SACD before, I doubt they would take a chance trying to reissue something that's already been released on SACD as it would probably limit their audience if many (stereo) SACD fans already own older copies of these same albums.

Back