Jim Croce in Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the paw is still out demanding something in the neighborhood of $10,000 for 10 seconds use of most any Elvis song in movies, TV, video games or on radio.

That's pretty much in line with what top songs go for in TV and Movie licensing deals.
$200,000 for one such song is not unusual.

It's not up to him now.
We will see what his estate and Warner Music do.
Steve Hoffman stated that AF were turned down for their Jim Croce SACD request. I am assuming quad was included in this request being that it was early this year, or very late last year.

I pulled out
Jim Croce I got a name
Played it with QDS1 It is not Discrete
But it is 4 Channel I heard a lot of rear channel
guitar and other instruments
I would rate it as 7/10 for surround
As it has been said before you should have 4 speakers the same

I pulled out
Jim Croce I got a name
Played it with QDS1 It is not Discrete
But it is 4 Channel I heard a lot of rear channel
guitar and other instruments
I would rate it as 7/10 for surround
As it has been said before you should have 4 speakers the same

I have all four US Q8's. They are all very discrete. A bit unusual on some songs they split the drum kit with snare/hi hat in Left Rear but the kicker drum front center. Other than that on a few songs, the mixes are generally good to excellent. Quite honestly, I believe some of the best Quad mixes came from ABC Records. What does seem to be a little off-putting to some folks is that to "flesh out" the mixes, there is a vocal echo in the rear. I enjoy it personally, but others have expressed their distaste for this particular mixing technique.

I believe two of the Canadian Q8's were faked, double stereo. But the U.S. tapes are glorious. :music

Why don't YOU ask HER then, WHIZ?☎

Do we even know if she controls the Multis including the QUAD masters?

I, for one, would love to hear Jim Croce in glorious QUAD.

I believe she closed down her restaurant in San Diego a few years ago. Otherwise, I might take a drive down there to do just that!

And no. We don’t know if she controls the multis or the quads. Like so much in the world of old recordings — all we can do is hope for the best! :).

If you hear the Q8's you will want them even more. The Q8's are really good. Imagine how great these albums would be on DV mastered quad SACD.

The quad mix on the US Q8's is incredible. You hear stuff in the rears that is almost completely buried in the stereo mix. Especially on the rowdy tunes! :)

The quad mix on the US Q8's is incredible. You hear stuff in the rears that is almost completely buried in the stereo mix. Especially on the rowdy tunes! :)

It's funny - when I started off with the vintage quad stuff a few years ago, all I had was the Life & Times QS LP and it didn't exactly blow me away. Through my Sansui QSD-2 decoder, it sounded like an echoey not-so-discrete mess.

So imagine my surprise when I pick up the Q8 of the same title a few years later: it's totally discrete. Jim's front and center, there's different acoustic guitars in each front speaker, drums are in left rear, piano's in right rear, and the backing vocals are rear center. Even the grand orchestral tunes ("Time In A Bottle", "These Dreams", etc") have nice separation. So much is lost in translation on the QS-encoded LPs.

I still think the vocal echo to the rears is overdone (it seems the engineers doing the quad mixes for ABC preferred a wetter sound- the Steely Dan quads are also rather echoey), but having these in high-resolution would be a dream come true. I'd imagine the acoustic guitars and string arrangements would probably benefit the most from the sonic upgrade.

Croce_Q8s.jpg

It's funny - when I started off with the vintage quad stuff a few years ago, all I had was the Life & Times QS LP and it didn't exactly blow me away. Through my Sansui QSD-2 decoder, it sounded like an echoey not-so-discrete mess.

So imagine my surprise when I pick up the Q8 of the same title a few years later: it's totally discrete. Jim's front and center, there's different acoustic guitars in each front speaker, drums are in left rear, piano's in right rear, and the backing vocals are rear center. Even the grand orchestral tunes ("Time In A Bottle", "These Dreams", etc") have nice separation. So much is lost in translation on the QS-encoded LPs.

I still think the vocal echo to the rears is overdone (it seems the engineers doing the quad mixes for ABC preferred a wetter sound- the Steely Dan quads are also rather echoey), but having these in high-resolution would be a dream come true. I'd imagine the acoustic guitars and string arrangements would probably benefit the most from the sonic upgrade.

View attachment 42653
I hear an awful lot of echo/reverb, wet, whatever, in various Q8 titles and it bugs the shit out of me.

View attachment 42653

Folks should just be aware that the US "first 3" are discrete while the Canadian first 3 are horrible, almost fake. The Canadian "Photographs and Memories" (as pictured above) is the same as the US tape - very discrete.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/jim-croce-canadian-q8s-rca-carts.13301/

Back