July/Aug Sound & Vision blurbs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Two interesting things I found in this latest issue regarding surrround

1) In a J.D. Souther interview (someone who never released a surround title [unless you count the Eagles quads]) he states

Mettler: Getting back to the high end of things, what would you consider to be an optimal surround-sound mix?

Souther: There are two schools of thought on that. One is that the ideal listening spot is in the middle of the band onstage. I never agreed with that. I like being in the audience and feeling the band coming at me from the stage. I don’t want to hear the guitar player in front of me and the drummer off to the right of me.

I think it’s a real artform to make it serve all those masters. Personally, my preference — and maybe it’s not everyone’s — is maybe sitting on the drums in the back with the band in front, or sitting right in the middle of the audience. And not in the front row.

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/jd-souther-hastens-down-hi-res-wind#A1gDZtCMAAa6gVjf.99

and

2) Phil Collins in the discussion about his massive Box Set says that although the 5.1 in the early Genesis SACD box sets made a "massive" difference, he had "no interest in presenting his solo material in 5.1." Bummer

Although the reviewer makes quite a case that the song "In the Air Tonight" screams for a surround mix.

Two interesting things I found in this latest issue regarding surrround

1) In a J.D. Souther interview (someone who never released a surround title [unless you count the Eagles quads]) he states

and

2) Phil Collins in the discussion about his massive Box Set says that although the 5.1 in the early Genesis SACD box sets made a "massive" difference, he had "no interest in presenting his solo material in 5.1." Bummer

Although the reviewer makes quite a case that the song "In the Air Tonight" screams for a surround mix.

Unfortunately, Jon, I fear that IS the sentiment of most current pop/rock artists. They'd rather concentrate on touring where they make their REAL $$$$ rather than sit in a studio and revisit their older material for a 5.1 remix which caters to a smallish niche market.

Ironically, ALL the Genesis 5.1 boxsets sold out and currently command big bucks and Phil's endorsement that the 5.1 treatment improved the sound (IMO, immeasurably) of Genesis should have been the clencher for 5.1 remixes of his solo material.

Maybe if oneday he's strapped for cash, he'll reconsider but as long as he can tour and rake in the mullah........In The Air Tonight will remain STEREO (and don't forget ALL his solo albums were just 'remastered/expanded' in 2016 by Rhino Records).

1) In a J.D. Souther interview (someone who never released a surround title [unless you count the Eagles quads])

Too bad Phil doesn't want to do what his fellow Genesis alumni are doing.:D

-and,
Was there not two QUAD albums from "THE SOUTHER, HILLMAN, FURAY BAND" ? They might count as a surround contribution.(y)

Too bad Phil doesn't want to do what his fellow Genesis alumni are doing.:D

-and,
Was there not two QUAD albums from "THE SOUTHER, HILLMAN, FURAY BAND" ? They might count as a surround contribution.(y)

You're absolutely correct, fizzy. Both of the Souther, Hillman, and Furay Band titles were released in Quadraphonic in the 1970s. :)

Unfortunately, Jon, I fear that IS the sentiment of most current pop/rock artists. They'd rather concentrate on touring where they make their REAL $$$$ rather than sit in a studio and revisit their older material for a 5.1 remix which caters to a smallish niche market.

Ironically, ALL the Genesis 5.1 boxsets sold out and currently command big bucks and Phil's endorsement that the 5.1 treatment improved the sound (IMO, immeasurably) of Genesis should have been the clencher for 5.1 remixes of his solo material.

Maybe if oneday he's strapped for cash, he'll reconsider but as long as he can tour and rake in the mullah........In The Air Tonight will remain STEREO (and don't forget ALL his solo albums were just 'remastered/expanded' in 2016 by Rhino Records).

I'm wondering if the Eagles will tour again....with the loss of Glenn Frey

i did read other day in news
Led Zeppelin works that include Stairway to Heaven generated revenues of nearly $60 million over the past five years, economist Michael Einhorn testified
now tell me - why those super rich snobs should be interested in something if cash flow still there, without doing anything else?
that's a main reason i gave up on all these mostly snobby fossils. previous (00s) surround titles was initiated by record labels,
which since then gave up on it.
majority of new titles in surround comes from new artists and seems if there any future for surround, it is solely depends on
those artists/bands and their fanbase.

Back