New Opeth album "Sorceress" to be released

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I put in a cancellation request for my order with Nuclear Blast. I had some suspicions NB would screw this up, but Mikael and Opeth probably deserve just as much blame. I just don't get it: I've heard Mikael talk about surround mixes in previous interviews and he seems to be a fan and proponent for them. With SW having mixed three albums for Opeth (plus Storm Corrosion), he KNOWS what a good surround mix sounds like. He also has to know that a precedent has been set by his work with SW (and Soord, and Bogren), and that fans are going to expect that quality. And reading through comments on their facebook page, there were many comments and questions concerning the surround mix, and there seems to be a significant part of their fan base who enjoy the 5.1 mixes. Tucking the 5.1 away in an expensive deluxe edition, and then half-assing the mix (and DD ONLY!!), just seem like a giant middle finger to many dedicated fans.

Thanks for the heads-up on this Imachine.

I don't know if this could be a disc failure, but there is no choice
between two streams. I played it through two different players
but both play the same shit out of my speakers!
This is so frustrating! :(

Wonder if Opeth are aware of this? Doesn't sound like them at all, with their dedication to quality. But totally gutting to hear this. Haven't received mine yet, but I am lowering my anticipation for the 5.1. Still, the album is excellent in stereo! But damn!

Wonder if Opeth are aware of this? Doesn't sound like them at all, with their dedication to quality. But totally gutting to hear this. Haven't received mine yet, but I am lowering my anticipation for the 5.1. Still, the album is excellent in stereo! But damn!

"Gutted" is exactly how I'm feeling about this. Massive disappointment.

This whole thing just reeks of arrogance and apathy on Opeth's part, and they knew people would be purchasing the deluxe for the 5.1 mix alone. And I take back what I said about this being half-assed as that would imply that half an ass's worth of effort was put into this, when anybody's receiver can add reverb to the rears. This whole release has been bizarre, from the goofy mailorder edition with the stupid quill and notepad, to upwards of 17 different vinyl colored variants!!!! :nuke

Maybe, if NB and Opeth had spent less time on stupid gimmicky bullcrap fodder to fill the deluxe editions with and getting every color from the visible spectrum on vinyl, we could have had some quality control on the 5.1.

I've been a huge Opeth fan for many, many years, and I've really been looking forward to this album, but, this leaves such a sour and bitter taste in my mouth, I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy a physical copy any time soon. Maybe this is an overreaction on my part, but, at the risk of sounding like all the obnoxious, jaded Opeth fans who plaster their facebook comment section with: WHERE"S THE GROWLS??? WHERE"S THE METULLLL???!!! - I just can't help but feel some indignation here.

If I get the opportunity at their concert Sat night in NYC I will share the fact of cancellations and unhappiness, even if it's only at the merch table!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got this e-mail yesterday, so where did your box set come from?
Could you have got a box with the 'manufacturing' issue?
I suspect not, but you can but hope :mad:

You are receiving this email because you purchased a OPETH - BOX SET due to be released on 30th September 2016.

Unfortunately due a manufacturing issue which has resulted in us receiving the stock late from the record label, the delivery of your order has been delayed and will be dispatched next week.

Please allow up to at least 7 days from this date for delivery as it's sent from the UK.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this may cause you and thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Music Glue Support

I hope we actually get a correction story before Saturday. Maybe somebody important realized what actually got released is so far wrong.

Maybe we ought to offer our quality testing services to Opeth to stop this happening in the future!

I hope we actually get a correction story before Saturday. Maybe somebody important realized what actually got released is so far wrong.

Maybe this is the case, and I hope it is. Sounds like they haven't been specific as to what the "manufacturing issue" is, so it's possible it's the DVD (probably not, but possible :p). But, I'm curious, is the delay for both the standard box and the mailorder edition? I can't imagine any DVD playback issues being specific to one box and not the other...

Maybe this is the case, and I hope it is. Sounds like they haven't been specific as to what the "manufacturing issue" is, so it's possible it's the DVD (probably not, but possible :p). But, I'm curious, is the delay for both the standard box and the mailorder edition? I can't imagine any DVD playback issues being specific to one box and not the other...

My thoughts exactly.
Though, as much as I like to believe that this is the reason for the delay, I somehow don't think it is. We'll see.
After the Marillion debacle (with the F.E.A.R. SACD containing an apparent rogue stereo-to-5.1 upmix done by the record label, not approved by the band themselves) this seems to be heading in the same direction. What is the world coming to? * throws arms in the air *

I got this e-mail yesterday, so where did your box set come from?
Could you have got a box with the 'manufacturing' issue?
I suspect not, but you can but hope :mad:

You are receiving this email because you purchased a OPETH - BOX SET due to be released on 30th September 2016.

Unfortunately due a manufacturing issue which has resulted in us receiving the stock late from the record label, the delivery of your order has been delayed and will be dispatched next week.

Please allow up to at least 7 days from this date for delivery as it's sent from the UK.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this may cause you and thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Music Glue Support

I buyed the super special edition from Nuclar Blast Store.
I think this is not a failure..... we will see! :(

I just put my cancellation in as well.
Not cancelling mine. I am hoping for some kind of fix, either in the form of a download code for 5.1 FLAC HiRes (think Anathema's Weather Systems, which was also initially released in just DD 5.1 and got slayed for that) or some other kind of compensation. (I did not buy the box set just for the 5.1, but I might be in the minority here.)

Maybe Opeth should follow what Feared do with their deluxe editions?

Maybe Opeth should follow what Feared do with their deluxe editions?
You mean that Feared offers stems and raw digital files? For the enthusiast this is great, but not everyone has the skills to make surround mixes on their own.

Normally it should not be so hard to put out a good dvd or bd is it? Of course testing takes time, getting several versions of the stuff to test. But the end result is much more rewarding for the band and their fans.

CDjapan is now listing a 2CD with DVD limited edition. Hopefully this is coming to US amazon shortly. The import at $55 after shipping wouldn't be much cheaper than the box set.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/GQCS-90211

OPETH brings the 12th album. This edition consists of a CD, a bonus CD, and a DVD (audio tracks only). Comes with lyrics and a description written in Japanese. *The DVD disc is encoded for region 2 (Japan, Europe, and Middle East), and no subtitles are included.
looks promising.

looks promising.
That will be a PAL format disc. If the drive in your player is NTCS DVD only, you're going to need a computer to rip the 5.1 mix to burn as NTSC for that player or you could just play it from your PC.

I'm pissed about the DD only encoding and crap reverb in the surrounds. I am happy about the album, however. The album vinyl and CD itself is fantastic

Back