New Opeth album "Sorceress" to be released

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will be a PAL format disc. If the drive in your player is NTCS DVD only, you're going to need a computer to rip the 5.1 mix to burn as NTSC for that player or you could just play it from your PC.

I'm pissed about the DD only encoding and crap reverb in the surrounds. I am happy about the album, however. The album vinyl and CD itself is fantastic.
The developed world is on PAL ;) get used to it ;)

I plan on enjoying the new Opeth tunes in the best format possible... LIVE, next month, downtown Los Angeles, small club with standing room only! And the song "Sorceress" is really "sludge-tastic"... definitely purchasing the stereo CD; waiting to see how all this surround controversy sorts out...

I plan on enjoying the new Opeth tunes in the best format possible... LIVE, next month, downtown Los Angeles, small club with standing room only! And the song "Sorceress" is really "sludge-tastic"... definitely purchasing the stereo CD; waiting to see how all this surround controversy sorts out...

Enjoy! They skipped over Utah this go round (n) But Steven Wilson is coming in Novemeber, amazingly. His first time playing in Utah. I thought it would NEVER happen. And completely sold out. Luckily, I already nabbed my tickets :)

Last edited:
I have the 5.1 mix in my player.
Only DD and ONLY reverb in the rears!!!!??? :mad:

Damn!....
Is it 3.1 then when it comes to instruments or 2.1?
Is the DVD-A only in: Sorceress - Limited Box Set Edition (2CD+DVD-A+2LP)??

I don't get it! Every band who respect their own music should make it the best way in multichannel also!

Damn!....
Is it 3.1 then when it comes to instruments or 2.1?
Is the DVD-A only in: Sorceress - Limited Box Set Edition (2CD+DVD-A+2LP)??

I don't get it! Every band who respect their own music should make it the best way in multichannel also!

Oh.. Is it a DVD-A and not a DVD-V?
..that'd make the Dolby only sound really puzzling.. come to think of I didn't test it, so if it is DVD-A that would be even weirder since I thought Opus were the only ones doing DVD-A with any regularity these days? how odd..

I canceled my preorder and downloaded the FLAC stereo for £9.Sounds ok,but I'm not used to listening to Opeth in stereo other than in concert.:rolleyes: Good album me thinks(y)

Well, the disappointment grows... The stereo mix is abysmal. Not even 5.1 can save this turd, even if it was lossless 24/192!! Such a shame because what I'm hearing is decent but the sound quality is seriously lacking. This album is a reference recording of demoing what blanket over the speakers sounds like.

What a disappointment! My boxset is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. I can't cancel it anymore. To make things even worse, I've played the album twice on Spotify and must say I don't really get the music. Opeth is probably my favourite current band. I love their old style. I love their new style (to me, "Pale Communion" is one of their best albums). I don't know if it's just me but especially the heavier parts sound very generic. Opeth had an unique ability to make heavy sections sound beautiful, despite the use of dissonances and (in past years) growls, which I don't hear here.

I like "Will O the Wisp", "The Wilde Flowers" (except for the verses)... Seems like "A Strange Brew" may grow on me, and "The Sevent Sojourn" and "Sorceress 2" are interesting. But I need to make a effort to think of songs/sections I really like and that's something new for me when it comes to Opeth.

I was hoping that some atmospheric and psychedelic parts would sound great on a good 5.1 mix, and that hope is gone now too. We'll see if a few more listens of the physical album might change my impression.

So glad I waited for comments here before ordering...and only the more expensive wooden box is still available from Nuclear Blast USA.
By the pics on Discogs, I see that the 5.1 mix was done by a Tom Dalgety, who also mixed the stereo version. His Wiki page mentions a bunch of bands he's worked with before, but no mention of previous 5.1 mixing. Mikael Akerfeldt produced the album.

Back