Quad LP/Tape Poll Tomita: Pictures At An Exhibition [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Pictures"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-So

• 1: Suckdom Central

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
RCA Red Seal ARD1-0838 from 1975.

Side/Program 1:

Promenade
The Gnome
Promenade
The Old Castle
Promenade
Tuileries
Bydlo
Promenade
Ballet of the Chicks in Their Shells

Side/Program 2:

The Two Jews
Limoges
Catacombs; Cum Mortuis in Lingua Mortua
Baba Yaga (Hut on Fowls' Legs)
Great Gate of Kiev.

ED :)

This is my favorite Tomita, a 10 all the way. Love the music and a great quad mix.

During these fine years for the artist, I believe SNOWFLAKES, track for track, was his most subtle work; it had a little of everything. He used it as a template here, limited only by the work itself. I thought he put new life into a very old, overworked piece, and still a lot of fun to here.

Anyone remember those old RCA CED SelectaVision videodiscs (a very crappy format, worse even than VHS)? An edited version of the opening passage was, as I remember, used to introduce each one, I think.

ED :)

In high school. It must have been 1975. During music lessons three different listenings of “Pictures at an exhibition”. First of all, the classical version as Moussorgsky must have intended it. It didn't really interest me at the time. Then Emerson, lake and Palmer. That went in the right direction. Ultimately Tomita's. I still remember that as a special experience. I cherished the LP for years afterwards. In the meantime, almost 50 years have passed. Didn't actually listen to it much anymore, but always cherished the music as a beautiful childhood memory. I recently came across this scad Ultimate Edition. I couldn't resist that. I don't regret it at all. A wonderful new acquaintance. Once again beautiful paintings transformed into sound. Now with many additional angles and colors. Once again a fascinating experience. Back in school. A warmly awarded 10. Grades that I never achieved myself.

In high school. It must have been 1975. During music lessons three different listenings of “Pictures at an exhibition”. First of all, the classical version as Moussorgsky must have intended it. It didn't really interest me at the time. Then Emerson, lake and Palmer. That went in the right direction. Ultimately Tomita's. I still remember that as a special experience. I cherished the LP for years afterwards. In the meantime, almost 50 years have passed. Didn't actually listen to it much anymore, but always cherished the music as a beautiful childhood memory. I recently came across this scad Ultimate Edition. I couldn't resist that. I don't regret it at all. A wonderful new acquaintance. Once again beautiful paintings transformed into sound. Now with many additional angles and colors. Once again a fascinating experience. Back in school. A warmly awarded 10. Grades that I never achieved myself.
Actually, what Mussorgsky “intended” was, surprisingly, a solo piano work. Maurice Ravel orchestrated the work played at most modern performances these days. Personally, I love it, and have about half a dozen different performances of it.

Actually, what Mussorgsky “intended” was, surprisingly, a solo piano work. Maurice Ravel orchestrated the work played at most modern performances these days. Personally, I love it, and have about half a dozen different performances of it.
thanks for this information. Probably a moment of inattention during the teacher's explanation

Back