HiRez Poll Chicago - QUADIO [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Chicago - QUADIO

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters
I you like rock + horns, check out the band Cake!

What do you think makes BS&T so different to Chicago?

Not just of because of the brass section and arrangements, would you care to elaborate? That way we all learn and the appreciate each group in a different light....

Let the record show that I was not the one to take this poll thread off-topic.
I humbly submit if folks would like to read my take or discuss this further, we could go here:https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...the-Chicago-Quadio-Thread&p=322944#post322944

EDIT: What's your vote, Dave?

Thanks for asking, but I don't intend to vote in these polls for a while yet, if ever.
My high frequency hearing is shot to hell, I listen with expensive hearing aids, set to "music" mode.
Only been into surround six months, still building a collection.

It certainly doesn't need another 10 from me.
Can't be objective with something that's been part of my life for so long.

I do, however, vote with my pocketbook, and I ordered this for delivery on release date. :D

I was so disappointed to miss out on the first Rhino quad CTA, I bought their Aretha quad when it came out, before I got a decent system to play it on, just to compensate. :mad:

I do appreciate everybody who takes the trouble to vote and review.
It's been a tremendous help and turned me on to some great discs I would have overlooked.

Thanks for asking, but I don't intend to vote in these polls for a while yet, if ever.
My high frequency hearing is shot to hell, I listen with expensive hearing aids, set to "music" mode.
Only been into surround six months, still building a collection.

It certainly doesn't need another 10 from me.
Can't be objective with something that's been part of my life for so long.

I do, however, vote with my pocketbook, and I ordered this for delivery on release date. :D

I was so disappointed to miss out on the first Rhino quad CTA, I bought their Aretha quad when it came out, before I got a decent system to play it on, just to compensate. :mad:

I do appreciate everybody who takes the trouble to vote and review.
It's been a tremendous help and turned me on to some great discs I would have overlooked.

DANG!!!
REALLY SORRY to hear about your hearing loss...
I know it's not the same but I've had Tinnitus Perennae on both ears for about 20 years...and it's quite loud!!!
Hopefully you'll reconsider and listen to the Quadio boxset...I'm positive you'll enjoy it...at whichever level you're most comfortable with...

to me, my hearing is a sense I've had to train over the years...hope you can get better...

:smokin

I know it's not the same but I've had Tinnitus Perennae on both ears for about 20 years...and it's quite loud!!!

Tinnitus is psychological, it's all in your head, not you ears. I've researched the hell out of it.

It's like OCD, it can control you but only if you let it.

Humans have much more power over their minds than they think they do.

Tinnitus is psychological, it's all in your head, not you ears. I've researched the hell out of it.

Interesting...I've had my share of ear infections (I used to live ON the beach and many a times sand would stay lodged in there), also have had -and still have sinus issues (even surgery to remove the nasal conchae, which grows back again) , and the roof of my mouth is WAY higher than normal, leaving me very little sinus space.

I also have been to too many concerts where I leave with my ears ringing-which lasts for a day, but the loudest and most damaging one was Living Colour in 1991, where my ears were ringing for THREE DAYS after that---and haven't stopped ringing.

I know that , in an anechoic chamber you can hear your own heartbeat and your nervous system-which sounds exactly like tinnitus...

What would the therapy be?

Cause , man, if I could get these babies to stop ringing , I'd be a much more sane person (and that's saying a lot!!!)....

I know that , in an anechoic chamber you can hear your own heartbeat and your nervous system-which sounds exactly like tinnitus...

that's exactly what it is, is always there, for everyone, it's just that some people hyper-focus on it.

When you accept that it's easier to dismiss it when it bothers you. In other words you won't dwell on it thinking it's some sort of damage that needs attention.

that's exactly what it is, is always there, for everyone, it's just that some people hyper-focus on it.

When you accept that it's easier to dismiss it when it bothers you. In other words you won't dwell on it thinking it's some sort of damage that needs attention.

Thank you for your advice- any help is welcome.
Of course I try not to pay attention to it 99% of the time since I have it as a "given" in my head/mind, and curiously enough , it does not affect my hearing; I had a hearing test done about a month ago and I came out almost perfect in all frequencies (!!!).

Yes, I've read of people going totally crazy because of it, but the more you focus on it the worse it is for you (same as with my back/left leg pain, which I had surgery in 2013; I have two 4 inch screws on L4, L5 and S1 with two rails holding it together and artificial discs "installed" and a really badly damaged sciatic nerve which provides me the "pleasure" of constant pain , about a 4 out of a 10 scale, along with pain stabs on my knee and heel, so I'm quite good at "abstracting pain").

Hearing is like any other sense, you can train it and have it improve.

Cheers,

:smokin

To my ears they absolutely, at times remind me of BS&T. I don't know how you could think otherwise. Even some of the more somber, vocal'd songs with the horns...both bands had that and I think it's a legit comparison.
And competing labelmates on Columbia. There was often a sense of oneupmanship in the early days as each released their successive albums.

Really? Hmmmm........ I don't think it's all quite that simple.

I'm a professional musician. Re: spent 5 hours a night, 5 nights a week for years stand in front of loud Marshall Stacks and loud monitors blaring back at me.

I certainly have compromised hearing in probably more ways than one. For one, I have a pretty serious drop off above 12K. I also have a big dip in my hearing at 4K which, from what professionals have told me, is a typical response to extended exposure to loud noises but, interestingly, regardless of at frequencies those loud noises were at.

I also suffer from what I'm pretty certain is tinnitus. Going back to my early 20s I can remember lying in bed in complete silence and hearing what sounded like an insect buzzing very near one year. I never really thought THAT much about it, except that it was noticeable.

As I've gotten older it's grown to be more sounding like a LOT of insects. Again, mostly only noticeable when I'm sitting in complete silence, although I can sense it sometimes while watch TV or sitting at the computer. It's more pronounced if I've had a couple of glasses of wine.

Why would I, or anyone, want to imagine that? Is it "in my head" i.e., originates from my brain as opposed to my ears? Possibly. Is it related to my other hearing loss/loud noise exposure? Common sense tells me "yes", but maybe it's just coincidental?

But even if it originates in my brain, does that mean it's necessarily psychological rather than physical?

I don't think enough is known for anyone to say definitively or not.

And competing labelmates on Columbia. There was often a sense of oneupmanship in the early days as each released their successive albums.

Not to mention they had the same producer on BS&Ts second album which was recorded just a few months before CTA.

I don't think there is much doubt that Columbia and JW Guercio were trying to do some of the same thing with Chicago that they were did with BS&T. Including having the big-baritone voice of Terry Kath on some hits that wasn't completely unlike that of David Clayton Thomas. (And wasn't "Vehicle" by Ides of March another attempt by another producer/label very similar a year later!)

Music follows trends. It's easy to pick out the time frame something was released by the production/arrangement. That wasn't much different in 1969 than it is today.

I can believe that III was made coming off recording two double albums within 12 months and touring, then coming back and being told it's going to be another double. My least favourite so far, there's still some stuff I like, but when there's a drum solo and it's only side 2 it appears there's some filling going on. I'm not keen on the jazz jamming type stuff either. On what was side two of V at the moment and this album sounds different to the others - different studio? different mixer? The first track on side 2 sounded like it should segue into something but was faded early. Maybe it did have something to join onto at some point...

If this ain't a ten, I don't know what is. 9 BluRay discs with outstanding music in outstanding sound (mostly) and outstanding surround mixes. Excellent value for my money. Only thing, that could have elevated this set to an eleven were if they'd added a booklet with some infromations.

I wasn't mad keen on VI, although I liked the last track or so on each side on first listen. The sound quality on VII was very nice, and although there's more drum solos it was more interesting than on III for me. Wishing You Were Here was a standout amongst the vocal tracks for me. Chicago VIII has a different feel to it (although I'm less than 10 mins in) and the horns seem signficantly less prominent than the previous albums. A drop in sound quality on this one too. Uh-oh is this the transition album?

I wasn't mad keen on VI, although I liked the last track or so on each side on first listen. The sound quality on VII was very nice, and although there's more drum solos it was more interesting than on III for me. Wishing You Were Here was a standout amongst the vocal tracks for me. Chicago VIII has a different feel to it (although I'm less than 10 mins in) and the horns seem signficantly less prominent than the previous albums. A drop in sound quality on this one too. Uh-oh is this the transition album?

I don't think it's a "transition" so much, but they are starting to lose some steam on this one as Robert Lamm's songwriting chops start to fall off with this one.

VIII, X and XI (not included on this set, but the last "classic" Kath-era album) are all uneven for various reasons and opinions as to their various strengths vary widely.

Nice sound on Chicago X. The quad mix is really good too - so well balanced from front to rear, like a forerunner for some of the excellent modern 5.1 mixes, but without a DAW to do it. I wasn't expecting to like this album, but this set has been full of surprises. Initial favourites albums appear to be CTA, II and X. What a box set. It's also convinced me of blu-ray as an audio format. Mind you, it's also made me wonder if I need an eyetest at times too. It would be a shame if this project lost money with the need for disc replacements, but if the right people are reading: I hadn't bought a single Chicago album (not even second hand that I recall) but this set was interesting and at the right price. I'm glad I got it, thank you.

This is a tricky one to grade. It's a great set at a good price, but that can detract from the content. The mixes are generally superb, although the first album does suffer from some low mixed vocals, and at least one album is arguably a forerunner for modern 5.1 mix placement. The sound is frequently great, often with lovely, clear bass. I don't like all the material though. As a concept it's an easy 10, but as a personal listening experience maybe an 8 or 9.

Like Mike, I'd never bought a Chicago album before (nor did I ever think I would). The numerous recommendations on this forum got me to buy the set after much hesitation. Especially keywhiz's short album-by-album walkthrough I found helpful. Anyway, I am so glad I bought this. The mixes are outstanding. Of course, I don't consider every track a winner but overall I am surprised how much I enjoy the whole thing. Hard to name a favourite. Maybe the long instrumental buildup of VII makes that album stand out for me for now. No way, I am going to publicly admit liking the rather, um, mellow soft rock of X. Not with my username, I can't. The set is a 10, without question.

Last edited:
Back