HiRez Poll Chicago - QUADIO [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Chicago - QUADIO

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters
Received my shipment today and have started listening to the albums. Having purchased the original Rhino CTA release I decided to start with Chicago II. I got through Chicago II and III and decided to go back and give CTA a listen after all. Generally speaking, as a whole, I have never been a big fan of Chicago. They were a band that came out smack dab in the beginning of my teenage years. So, I was certainly in their target demo. Having said that overall I was never a big fan of Chicago, I LOVE Chicago Transit Authority! In my opinion, that first album is amazing. From the beginning there was that distinctive sound that was Chicago. It's not like some groups where early recordings sound like they were from a completely different group than later recordings. All the elements that people came to know as "Chicago" were all there on that first double album. The thing that was different, and never really demonstrated on any future albums, was a "heavier" influence in their sound on that first album. The guitar playing could have been coming from Jimi Hendrix himself on some songs. There were clearly influences from bands from that era. CTA came out in April of 68, less than a year after the release of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. There is even a tip of the hat to Magical Mystery Tour in South California Purples when they sing, I am you and you are me and we are all together... (Or however that line goes) It is that heavier, psychedelic influence of the bands from that time that make me LOVE this first album. Great Hendrix style guitar playing, amazing percussion, classic rock band Hammond organ. It is that layering of the sounds and styles of bands from that era over the framework of Chicago composed songs that makes this first album and exceptional standout. My personal favorites from this first album are South California Purples and I'm a Man. The cuts that I tend to describe on later albums as "musical masturbation," are far more psychedelically influenced on this first album. That changes to more jazz and classical influence on subsequent albums.
By Chicago II that "heavy" influence of the era was gone and what would become the consistent Chicago sound emerged. That's not to say that the other albums aren't impressive and sophisticated examples of music from that era. The musicianship and song composition of the band is incredibly sophisticated, particularly when you think about how very different they were from other rock bands of that time. There weren't a whole lot of rock bands with a great horn section. While I don't necessarily love all their remaining catalog, I can certainly appreciate Chicago as a band.
From a surround perspective there is absolutely nothing to complain about. The separation is incredibly discrete and well thought out in the placement of instrumentation. To my ears the sound quality is also fantastic. Rhino could easily have just released the greatest hits disc and most folks would have been happy. But I am glad they decided to release their 4.0 catalog. On those later albums I am hearing little gems among the cuts that were never big hits. In fact, most of the big hits are my least favorite titles on the recordings because they were played to death on the radio when the albums first came out. So it's great to sit down and listen to the discs in full in chronological order. I can say that I don't like all of it, but I certainly like and appreciate enough of it to be very happy with this purchase. It really gives me an appreciation of a band that I had no appreciation for at all after the release of that first amazing album. Even though I have not listened to every disc, I know this boxset deserves a 10 and that is what I'm voting.

Got my box set in yesterday, so here I go with my first review, for Chicago IX, Chicago's Greatest Hits!

First off, there's some guitar bits in "25 or 6 to 4" that are exclusive to this mix, which is really cool in itself, but immediately, you are hit with such an incredible amount of discrete energy and clean fidelity that's never been present in any stereo version I have ever heard of this song. It's truly remarkable!
Continuing on with "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?", again there's a discrete separation and clean fidelity present that I have never heard before. There are some mix decisions I would have handled differently, like I don't think it was a good idea to shove the backing vocals in one front channel, diminishing them a little bit, but overall this is another good mix.
Hearing Terry Kath sing "Colour My World" is very emotional indeed, given his tragic departure from this life at such a young age. As far as Quad goes, it's a good mix despite its minimalist arrangement.
Following that is one of my favorites, "Just You 'N' Me". The balances and panning decisions on this one is just outstanding, definitely a winner! The sax solo panning around all four channels is kinda cheesy, but just cheesy enough to where it still works pretty well.
"Saturday in the Park" starts off with a bang with the piano in the back left corner. It's certainly a more discrete than the 5.1 version, but both are good in their own unique ways.
"Feelin' Stronger Every Day" is another favorite, and this is another super discrete but clean mix. Great balances!
Like "25 or 6 to 4", "Make Me Smile" has a clean fidelity and separation that I have never heard on any stereo master beforehand. It's really amazing how much better Chicago's mixing became as their career moved forward. No complaints on this one. It sounds fantastic, though I definitely prefer listening to it on the album so we don't get those edits taking out some of the best parts.
Next up, "Wishing You Were Here" makes me wish I was listening to this on a lovely beach condo, but alas, my apt will have to do… ;)
I would have made some mixing decisions differently, like using the surround channels for those immersive Beach Boys backing vocals, but alas I wasn't around when this was mixed in Quad, so of course they couldn't have asked me… ;)
"Call On Me" follows with another strong mix, then we get to another favorite, "(I've Been) Searchin' So Long". Once again, I would have mixed things a little differently allowing the orchestra to take up the surround channels, rather than occupying the front, but it's still a strong surround mix overall.
Ironically the album ends with "Beginnings", but it's only the beginning for my journey into this Quadraphonic wonderland! I love the way the acoustic guitar comes in behind you on the left and then the horns enter on the right. Very well done!

Obviously, I need to listen to all the albums before voting for the entire set, but here's how I'm voting for the "Greatest Hits":

Music: 3/3; Surround Mix: 2.5/3; Fidelity: 3/3; High-Res Disc: 1/1
That's a 9.5 which rounds up to '10'!

Now what to listen to next?! :)

Staying on track: A must have box set for any audiophile. I have listened to all and I will never buy another of these discs again, they are for me definitive. BD-A screen is clean and simple, SQ is perfect. The highlight for me is Disc 1, CTA, Track 7 Free Form Guitar, I can hear the raw energy of the air flowing through the amps, the guitar strings cringing, and just beautifully recorded sonic energy. A listening note from my machine, as I listen in Blu Ray mode it is an HDMI out into the pre amp, therefore because of my Audessy Correction and HDMI my center channel becomes active. It is OK and not a problem. Rather than move my chair towards the fronts I just turned up the fronts a wee bit and all was good at all times. All 10's.

I sent Dr Rhino a email praising the Chicago Quadio set. I did get a nice reply. I think everyone should email Rhino and tell them we want more.

Since "Chicago X" came after the Greatest Hits, that's where I'm headed next!
I have actually heard the unreleased 5.1 mix for this album, and I love it! This mix exhibits more of a 'Quad-like' sound, in that it's super discrete (which isn't always a good thing) but fidelity is absolutely wonderful!
The mix on "If You Leave Me Now" is a little weak, not terrible, but not as good as it could be.
"Another Rainy Day in New York City" is one of the highlights on this disc for sure, a wonderfully clean and discrete mix.
"Mama Mama" follows with another great mix that accentuates Peter Cetera's beautiful song, then we're treated to Robert Lamm's groovy "Scrapbook", another surround showcase.
"You'll Get It Up" is one of the few songs I don't care for. It's a cool surround mix, but the material doesn't' do much for me.
The beautiful "Hope For Love" closes things out, and here's how I'm closing out my vote for this particular album:

Music: 3/3; Surround Mix: 3/3; Fidelity: 3/3; High-Res Disc: 1/1
It's a great conclusion to a great set, but now I need to go back and listen to I-VIII now! :)

Now I have moved onto "Chicago VIII".
This album doesn't have the strongest starting point with "Anyway You Want It", but it does get a little better from then on.
"Brand New Love Affiar" features a very luscious arrangement perfectly complemented by a soulful Terry Kath vocal. It all comes across really well in Quad, although I would have used the back channels for the orchestra instead of the front, a minor nitpick.
What follows is "Never Been in Love Before", one of my absolute favorite Chicago songs, ever!
After that it's "Hideaway", which has always been an oddball out on this album from a sound perspective, and the Quad mix doesn't help to make it sound any better than it has in stereo.
At least we get a nice ballad from Terry Kath afterwards in the form of "Till We Meet Again".
Then after the very political "Harry Truman", we're treated to the trippy "Oh, Thank You Great Spirit", a very strong surround showcase.
A few more songs follow before things close out with my other favorite song off this album, "Old Days", a wonderfully nostalgic trip back in time.
It has an extremely strong mix to it, and I have never heard this song sound any better than it has here!
Once again, it would have been nice to have the strings in the surround channels, but besides that, it's hard to fault this great mix!

So now that VIII is over, here's how I break it down:

Music: 2/3; Surround Mix: 3/3; Fidelity: 3/3; High-Res Disc: 1/1, making this one a '9' :)

I sent Dr Rhino a email praising the Chicago Quadio set. I did get a nice reply. I think everyone should email Rhino and tell them we want more.

What is that address please because I would like to also tell them that they did an outstanding job on this set I've played 3 discs and they have put me in quad nirvana. A 10 for sure. Sonics and quad field are top shelf. I would buy more releases like this without question.

Now after a dinner break, I'm jamming out to "Chicago III"!
"Sing A Mean Tune Kid" is a great track to kick this double album off, and the surround is very discrete and in your face, exactly what you would want from a great Quadraphonic mix! It's a bit long, but it's still a good jam nonetheless.
"Loneliness Is Just A Word" is a song that shows off the great influence that Blood Sweat & Tears must have had on Chicago. "What Else Can I Say" is a pleasant enough song but not something that lasts beyond the initial listen. The same is true for "I Don't Want Your Money".
Now we've moved on to the first of 3 suites, the Travel Suite, starting with "Flight 602". Is this a Crosby Stills & Nash song?! If not, it sounds eerily like one…
"Motorboat to Mars" is an exercise in drumming self-indulgence, but then we get to "Free", my favorite track on the album, a great rocker! It's a great discrete mix with the horns in the surround channels. Love it!
"Free Country" is a nice instrumental that follows it. This is Chicago at their most symphonic, a far cry from the commercial hits most people know, and it's a nice surround showcase too.
"At the Sunrise" and "Happy Cause I'm Going Home" are like "What Else Can I Say" in that they are not bad, but they are somewhat forgettable.
"Mother" is very interesting, with some really cool horn parts that shine forth from the back channels. I detect a little bit more of a BS&T influence on this track.
Like "Free", a lot of people also know "Lowdown", and it's a got a good mix with the guitar in the back right and organ in the back left with horns split between those two channels. It's a great panning scheme that works wonderfully!
Now we're on to suite #2, "An Hour in the Shower". First track "A Hard Risin' Morning Without Breakfast" is pretty forgettable, but it picks up a bit with "Off to Work" and then before you know it, the whole suite is over and done with.
And finally, here is the "Elegy". Isn't the opening spoken track a Moody Blues song?! ;)
"Canon", "Once Upon A Time..", and "Progress?" once again seem to showcase the BS&T effect on Chicago's early sound. The latter is a particularly strong Quad mix with the horns playing in all four corners, wonderful counterpart melody ideas all sitting on top of each other.
Then the toilet flushes…and we're on to "The Approaching Storm", something that reminds me quite strongly of Booker T & the MGs. Like "Sing A Mean Tune Kid", it's a bit long at times, but hey, I guess they needed someway to fill out the rest of the album's space.
"Man vs Man: The End" is a cool ending that almost reminds me of a James Bond style music cue.

Overall, this album has some very strong moments and some weak moments too, but here's how I vote on this one:

Music: 2.5/3; Surround Mix: 3/3; Fidelity: 3/3; High-Res Disc: 1/1
That makes this one a '9.5' which rounds up to '10'! :)

That's all for tonight. I'll probably start tomorrow's listening with VI and VII, followed by I, II, and V.

Starting off this Friday with "Chicago VI"
Robert Lamm begins the album by asking "What do you want?" Well, Robert, with the release of this set, I think we already have it, but thanks for asking anyway! ;)
"Critic's Choice" is a very lackluster song to begin this album, but it gets a lot better from there with "Just You 'N Me". I have already discussed that mix on the review for IX, so moving to "Darlin' Dear", this is a very involved surround mix that anyone should love! It's very immersive and in your face!
Then the album moves on to "Jenny", a very nice ballad from Terry Kath. The surrounds feature the congos for good effect!
"What's This World Comin' To" features more full-on immersion similar to "Darlin' Dear" before things slow down yet again with "Something in this City Changes People". This one is one of the best surround highlights on this disc. Lots of vocals and the congas make a reappearance in the surround channels too.
"Hollywood" follows, which is another great Robert Lamm composition. Then things dip off a bit with "In Terms of Two" and "Rediscovery", neither of which are that memorable in the long run.
Thankfully the album finishes very strongly with the album's best track "Feelin' Stronger Every Day". The mix is the same as on IX so I won't say what I have already said again.

This is another strong disc, so here's how I vote:

Music: 2.5/3; Surround Mix: 3/3; Fidelity: 3/3; High-Res Disc: 1/1. That's 9.5, which rounds up to 10! :)

Now I've moved on to "Chicago VII", which begins with Chicago at their most experimental with "Aire" and its accompanying prelude. This is a surround showcase, full on immersion and musical experimentation at its best! On "Aire" I may have chosen to feature the horns in the back rather than in the front, but it's a minor nit-pick. At least the surrounds are used as effective corners on both "Aire" and "Devil's Sweet" with Lamm on one side and Terry Kath on the other. At times I'm not even sure I'm really listening to a Chicago album. This is the same band that recorded "You're the Inspiration"?! My how times changed... ;)
The weirdness continues with "Italian from New York", but one thing that strikes me on this mix is how vibrant the congas sound when they first appear behind you on the right side. It really was quite startling in a good way! Then "Hanky Panky" and "Lifesaver" continue on in this very funky and jazzy vibe.
After that, we get to the first commercial song on the album, "Happy Man". The acoustic guitar enters from the back right corner and the left side is filled with percussion. It's a nice mix that doesn't distract from Peter's great vocal melody and lyrics.
Following that is another beautiful ballad, "(I've Been) Searchin' So Long". It's a mix that's already covered on IX, so I'm moving on to "Mongonucleosis".
This is another fun track, with a fun and very discrete Quad mix to boot!
"Song of the Evergreens" is after that, and the Quad mix only makes the song even more luscious and exotic before the tempo picks up. "Byblos" continues in the same exotic yet still commercial vibe with more conga action in the surround channels. It's fantastic!
After that we come to my favorite song on the album "Wishin You Were Here". That and "Call on Me" are already covered on IX, so next up is "Women Don't Want to Love Me". It's a strong funky track, and a much better song than the weak closer "Skinny Boy".
Still this is by far one of the strongest albums and Quad mixes in the entire set! Here's how I vote:

Music: 3/3; Surround Mix: 3/3; Fidelity: 3/3; High-Res Disc: 1/1, making this a solid 10! :)

Now I've moved on to "Chicago VII", which begins with Chicago at their most experimental with "Aire" and its accompanying prelude. This is a surround showcase, full on immersion and musical experimentation at its best! On "Aire" I may have chosen to feature the horns in the back rather than in the front, but it's a minor nit-pick. At least the surrounds are used as effective corners on both "Aire" and "Devil's Sweet" with Lamm on one side and Terry Kath on the other. At times I'm not even sure I'm really listening to a Chicago album. This is the same band that recorded "You're the Inspiration"?! My how times changed... ;)
The weirdness continues with "Italian from New York", but one thing that strikes me on this mix is how vibrant the congas sound when they first appear behind you on the right side. It really was quite startling in a good way! Then "Hanky Panky" and "Lifesaver" continue on in this very funky and jazzy vibe.
After that, we get to the first commercial song on the album, "Happy Man". The acoustic guitar enters from the back right corner and the left side is filled with percussion. It's a nice mix that doesn't distract from Peter's great vocal melody and lyrics.
Following that is another beautiful ballad, "(I've Been) Searchin' So Long". It's a mix that's already covered on IX, so I'm moving on to "Mongonucleosis".
This is another fun track, with a fun and very discrete Quad mix to boot!
"Song of the Evergreens" is after that, and the Quad mix only makes the song even more luscious and exotic before the tempo picks up. "Byblos" continues in the same exotic yet still commercial vibe with more conga action in the surround channels. It's fantastic!
After that we come to my favorite song on the album "Wishin You Were Here". That and "Call on Me" are already covered on IX, so next up is "Women Don't Want to Love Me". It's a strong funky track, and a much better song than the weak closer "Skinny Boy".
Still this is by far one of the strongest albums and Quad mixes in the entire set! Here's how I vote:

Music: 3/3; Surround Mix: 3/3; Fidelity: 3/3; High-Res Disc: 1/1, making this a solid 10! :)

People like you cost me a lot of money!;)

Now that I've listened to all the albums I really wanted to listen to first, now I'm going back to the beginning for "Chicago Transit Authority".
I have never owned the DTS DVD released a few years ago, so I can't comment on how this new Blu-Ray disc sounds in comparison to the DVD, but the album immediately begins with a full-on discrete mix for "Introduction". It's also great to get the full version of "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" as opposed to the abbreviated version on IX. "Beginnings" is also on IX, so I won't belabor its merits or setbacks again and move to "Questions 67 & 68".
It's a favorite of mine on this album, and the mix hits all the right spots!
"Listen" features another great Quad mix, and the BS&T style breakdown in the middle is just too cool!
"Poem 58" is a useless track at first with a rather lackluster surround mix that only gets good towards the latter half of the track when the back channels finally open up when the vocal melody comes in. The backing vocals move around, and it works. Gimmicky but the right kind of gimmicky.
"Free Form Guitar" is a complete waste of space, but hey, I guess they needed to fill things out on this first (double) album of theirs.
At least the music gets back to being good with "South California Purples", a very discrete and funky Quad mix that everyone is sure to love!
(BTW can you spot the Beatles reference contained therein?) ;)
Next up is another favorite, "I'm a Man". The percussion on the left behind you with Robert Lamm's organ on the right is a great panning scheme.
The breakdown in the middle is a cool Quad showcase with percussion and drums in all four corners. Very well done!
"Prologue" is nothing special at all, while "Someday" is a pretty good track, but the crowd chants and sound FX make this seem very dated.
"Liberation" closes out the album in strong fashion (though it does tend to go on longer than it should), so I would say this overall album is a little hit and miss. There's some amazing moments, and then there's some definite clunkers. Here's how I vote:

Music: 2/3; Surround Mix: 3/3; Fidelity: 3/3; High-Res Disc: 1/1, making this one a '9'.
That's all for now!

Now I've moved on to "Chicago VII"...Still this is by far one of the strongest albums and Quad mixes in the entire set!

I'm about 3/4 through the set and that was my impression as well. Just terrific. And looking back at your earlier comment regarding "Wishing You Were Here". Yes, it's beautiful, but how great indeed would it have been to be surrounded by those gorgeous Beach Boys vocals?! A small nitpick as we're somewhat spoiled by the modern Scheiner/Wilson/Penny approach.

Back