Sony Classical Multichannel SACDs in Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Also, this new BBA SACD may not be cheap in the scheme of things but the DTS CD isn't that cheap anymore, making the new SACD all the more welcome!

That said, I'd rather Sony do a Rough & Ready Quad SACD next than revisit any other DTS CDs etc but still..! :D

I completely agree with you (and the same for Wired) but I think the stuff definitely already exists in digital form (ie previously released on DTS CD) is probably the lowest-hanging fruit (ooh la la) for Sony to release. So Blow By Blow sold well enough to lead to this BBA release, hopefully this BBA release will sell enough to lead to something else, and so on.

I think there is some reason to be mildly hopeful about 'fresh' quad SACDs from Sony Japan, though. They've done some classical SACD reissues (the 2007 Bernstein/Mahler series comes to mind) of old Columbia Masterworks titles that have the quad mix on the multichannel layer, and those are the first/only digital issues of thos quad mixes. So there doesn't seem to be any technical/technological/finanical impediment to Sony Japan doing 'new' quad reissues.

I completely agree with you (and the same for Wired) but I think the stuff definitely already exists in digital form (ie previously released on DTS CD) is probably the lowest-hanging fruit (ooh la la) for Sony to release. So Blow By Blow sold well enough to lead to this BBA release, hopefully this BBA release will sell enough to lead to something else, and so on.

I think there is some reason to be mildly hopeful about 'fresh' quad SACDs from Sony Japan, though. They've done some classical SACD reissues (the 2007 Bernstein/Mahler series comes to mind) of old Columbia Masterworks titles that have the quad mix on the multichannel layer, and those are the first/only digital issues of thos quad mixes. So there doesn't seem to be any technical/technological/finanical impediment to Sony Japan doing 'new' quad reissues.

Wired! Wired! Wired! Wired! :cool:

(Sorry, got carried away there! :eek: )

Which titles are those Sony Japan Masterworks Quad SACDs please Dave?
Never knew they existed! :yikes

Wired! Wired! Wired! Wired! :cool:

(Sorry, got carried away there! :eek: )

Which titles are those Sony Japan Masterworks Quad SACDs please Dave?
Never knew they existed! :yikes

The whole series was billed as '5.0 from the original 3-channel tapes' but I believe these two are from the quad tapes based on release year/existence of quad mixes:

SICC-10067 - Bernstein/NY Philharmonic/Israel Philharmonic/Janet Baker - Gustav Mahler 'Adagio from Symphony No. 10'/'Kindertotenlieder' (1975 Columbia Masterworks MQ 33532)

SICC-10068 - Bernstein/Israel Philharmonic/Christa Ludwig/Rene Kollo - Gustav Mahler 'Das Lied von Der Erde' (1974 Columbia Masterworks KMQ 31919)

And there are a bunch of others that are 5.0 but I think are from 3-channel tapes (all Bernstein):

SICC-10053 - Mahler Symphony No. 1 (1967)
SICC-10054/55 - Mahler Symphony No. 2 (1963)
SICC-10056/57 - Mahler Symphony No. 3 (1962)
SICC-10058 - Mahler Symphony No. 4 (1960)
SICC-10059 - Mahler Symphony No. 5 (1963)
SICC-10060/61/62 - Mahler Symphony No.6 / No. 9 (1968)
SICC-10063/64 - Mahler Symphony No. 7 (1966)
SICC-10065/66 - Mahler Symphony No. 8 (1967)

Someone who knows classical and/or has heard this series could probably shed some light on these releases.

The whole series was billed as '5.0 from the original 3-channel tapes' but I believe these two are from the quad tapes based on release year/existence of quad mixes:

SICC-10067 - Bernstein/NY Philharmonic/Israel Philharmonic/Janet Baker - Gustav Mahler 'Adagio from Symphony No. 10'/'Kindertotenlieder' (1975 Columbia Masterworks MQ 33532)

SICC-10068 - Bernstein/Israel Philharmonic/Christa Ludwig/Rene Kollo - Gustav Mahler 'Das Lied von Der Erde' (1974 Columbia Masterworks KMQ 31919)

And there are a bunch of others that are 5.0 but I think are from 3-channel tapes (all Bernstein):

SICC-10053 - Mahler Symphony No. 1 (1967)
SICC-10054/55 - Mahler Symphony No. 2 (1963)
SICC-10056/57 - Mahler Symphony No. 3 (1962)
SICC-10058 - Mahler Symphony No. 4 (1960)
SICC-10059 - Mahler Symphony No. 5 (1963)
SICC-10060/61/62 - Mahler Symphony No.6 / No. 9 (1968)
SICC-10063/64 - Mahler Symphony No. 7 (1966)
SICC-10065/66 - Mahler Symphony No. 8 (1967)

Someone who knows classical and/or has heard this series could probably shed some light on these releases.

I do have this one Bernstein Mahler mch disc and can confirm that the rears are ambience only as can be expected from a three channel master: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICC-10067

Performances and Recording are top notch! Bernstein was considered somewhat of a Mahler scholar and championed his music throughout his career.

Back