Yarlung's First Surround Sound DSD 256 Recording: Coming Soon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
This should be very interesting!

"Coming next week: the first Surround Sound recording from Yarlung Artists to Native DSD Music in DSD 256! Fans of Yarlung's fine albums are going to really love this one.

Bob Attiyeh from Yarling tells us "Jared and Floor asked that I write about our Yarlung release next week, our first recording of music by composer James Matheson.

NativeDSD is intimately involved with this recording, not just as our DSD distributor, but also because my friend (and our NativeDSD mastering engineer) Tom Caulfield joined us at Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Southern California for this recording. As a result, Tom engineered Yarlung's first 5.0 surround sound album.

Tom had been enticing me about surround sound recordings for months, and while I have not yet had the luxury of hearing music on his fabulous 5 channel system in Boston, Massachusetts, I have experienced the glory of well-recorded 5 channel music thanks to him."

Tom C at Yarlung Surround Sound recording - 50p.jpg

Native DSD Mastering Engineer Tom Caulfield (aka "Tailspn") monitoring the Matheson recording session (photo by Cooper Bates)
https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdM...854580272955/1094361950622212/?type=1&theater

Yes. Tom sent me one track (with Bob's approval) and it is as outstanding as his Mahler 3 (Fischer, BFO) which has been an impressive demo at recent audio shows.
Tom Caulfield, a Grammy-winning recording engineer who has worked for Channel Classics and other labels, recently sent me a multichannel DSD256 file from a session with Color Field, a group comprising musicians of the Chicago Lyric Opera and the Chicago Symphony, for a recording of James Matheson's String Quartet, to be released this year on Yarlung Records. The opening notes were startling—I had the disturbing but exhilarating feeling that music was actually being made in my room, not merely reproduced. The sound was no more "multichannel" than it was "stereo"—the four players seemed almost within reach, and my room seemed to expand around me. Caulfield had included a few photos of the session, held at the Segerstrom Center, in Costa Mesa, California. When I looked at them—by George, that's exactly what I'd heard. Not only was I completely transfixed: I kept thinking, If others could only hear this, hi-rez multichannel music would take off.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-77-page-2#GGHYmAJ08g3yK1DS.99

Back