HiRez Poll Nyro, Laura - ELI AND THE 13TH CONFESSION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Laura Nyro - ELI AND THE 13TH CONFESSION

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters
No idea kap but I've mulled over getting that SQ sampler a couple of times the past year or so.. but I couldn't justify splashing out for one Paul Revere track and one Laura Nyro track (unless there's other stuff on there that never saw release IDK?).. hopefully someone here has got both that Japanese sampler and this AF SACD and can let us know the score..

Adam, only speculation, but VERY doubtful the Laura Nyro and even Al Kooper SQ tracks will sound as brilliant as the AF QUAD SACDs. Unless you're 'dying' to hear Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head by Maikawa(?) and his orchestra.:yikes

Hey, it's your money pal but it sounds like another 'dust collector' to me.

Adam, only speculation, but VERY doubtful the Laura Nyro and even Al Kooper SQ tracks will sound as brilliant as the AF QUAD SACDs. Unless you're 'dying' to hear Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head by Maikawa(?) and his orchestra.:yikes

Hey, it's your money pal but it sounds like another 'dust collector' to me.

"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Car Wash"..? :yikes

Now who doesn't want to hear that in Quad?
I mean, I'm IN even in Stereo! (been a while since I said that.. :eek: )

I shall take your sage advice and eschew the SQ.

Anyway, back to Laura Nyro's fabulous Surround SACD (this is a QQ Poll, after all.. ;) )

Overall, that was excellent, but I'm going against the voting majority (so far) and giving this one a '9', not a '10', breaking my vote down this way:

Music: 2.5/3
Surround Mix: 2.5/3
Fidelity: 3/3
High-Res Disc: 1/1

Main critiques concerning this disc are that some of the material starts to sound too alike after a while, plus while the Quad panning scheme works very well for some songs, it doesn't work as well for others.
So this is a great disc, but it's just not quite deserving of that elusive '10' vote IMHO, but pick it up! It's another winner from Audio Fidelity, and they deserve a good amount of credit for unleashing this unreleased Quad mix upon us! :)

I was wondering..
Would this SACD be the mix of "Eli's coming" that was featured in a Quad version on a Japanese SQ LP sampler in the 70's with a very unfortunate back cover of a bunch of shirtless Japanese guys (and a couple caucasian and some more other races) that aslo had some other SQ mixes that were never released?
View attachment 26669

I'll have to check that. What I do remember is that the mix of Eli's Coming on that LP fades early. Eli's Coming is one of the tracks that has significantly different mixes on the 2 Mike Robin reels, so I'd guess the SQ has one of those with an early fade, I just don't remember which one.

When I have a chance to sit down with all of my sources and compare, I'll report my findings.

OK, so I listened to this last night and just noticed something...

This is early PROG...I mean, we're talking about 1967 , right?
Who else was doing all of these tempo changes and different sections on ONE SINGLE SONG back then???

Not just Prog, but MELODIC Prog...

She was really ahead of her time....great disc...a tenner for me...

I'll have to check that. What I do remember is that the mix of Eli's Coming on that LP fades early. Eli's Coming is one of the tracks that has significantly different mixes on the 2 Mike Robin reels, so I'd guess the SQ has one of those with an early fade, I just don't remember which one.

When I have a chance to sit down with all of my sources and compare, I'll report my findings.

Well, I was going to do this comparison today, but apparently Windows has decided it's perfectly ok to randomly corrupt various .iso images of my hard work over the years, act as if nothing is wrong, and pass the phony data along to my backups when I refresh them. Fucking ticking time bomb.

This is why we can't have nice things......not sure why I bother to even try to have backups, computers always find a way to stab me in the back anyways.....

Meanwhile, the SACD doesn't match either of the reel mixes as far as Eli's Coming is concerned. I still haven't had a chance to sit and give the SACD a good listen, was hoping to tonight, but now I'm working on seeing if I kept any other copies of that SQ record decode and trying to restore the iso image, and going through other files to see what else is lost. And debating cuing up the SQ tonight to start over. Now that I'm finding there's something on this SACD that wasn't on either reel, I'm hoping to eventually get a digital version cued up so I can really dig in.

More to come.....

Nope.....no backups......although I did find 3 copies of the WPIX Yule Log in the stacks of burned discs......

Looks like I'll be recording in records tonight....

Is it just me or are Laura's vocals mixed lower in the quad mix? they seem more forward in the SACD stereo and Redbook layers.
Welcome to QQ b!

Let's hope you get a better answer to your question here than you did over at sh.tv. ;)

A 9 and half rounded up to 10. Great fidelity and surround, songs might not be to everyone's taste, but I found that I liked them a lot. Nice work AF!

Spinning this last night again...even more mesmerized..
"Laurita" was way ahead of her time..
and I say again..
this is PROG POP
I really am not aware of ANY other artist that was doing tempo changes / transitions, covering aspects of music and lyrics this deeply in 1967..
Almost all of the songs have tempo changes; mostly with melodic variations...

Can anyone maybe prove me wrong???

If anyone started PROG, it was , of all people
LAURA NYRO...

also wanted to add...Laura's vocal phrasing reminded me of another SUPER WOMAN: KATE BUSH!!!

Regarding "December Boudoir"....wow..this one is really left field compared to the rest of the album...a very ingenious and inspired song that has a degree of delicacy and refinement that I've never heard before...

Some more insight from my point of view....she was stating her love for both genders in her songs...one of the first (if not the first) artist to not be afraid to sing her love to both women and men....

The more I listen to it, the more I admire her...(this is no good..I'm in between jobs and I'd love to get some more of her stuff....well later...AND the scented first LP releases of "Eli")

Just got this one today. Giving it a listen right now. Oddly enough, this is not the Quad mix we're used to. The Quad mix used here is dissimilar to either of the known ones that appear on the Mike Robin Reels.

Poverty Train: On the Audio Fidelity mix, Bass is in Back Left. The other Mike Robin mixes, Bass is back center.

Eli's Comin' : Audio Fidelity mix features all vocals in front center. Mike Robin reels feature Laura's Lead front center while backing vocals appear in either back center or back left (depending on which reel you get). Also, NO piano strikes during the intro!

So, we can safely say that this title was mixed to Quad at least THREE times. Makes you wonder how many different versions of other albums there are still lying about? Boggles the mind. However, from what I've read about SQ, this one 'feels' like it's the mix that would be the most compatible with SQ mixing requirements. I wonder if this mix was the SQ 4-track master or was this just the reel that was closest to being acceptable by both the artist and mixing requirements?

The sound is quite good. Still a little hiss detectable during the quieter passages but nowhere near as bad as the Mike Robin reels. The dynamic range is simply lovely. I'm happy with the disc and music, my only dissatisfaction would be with the mini-booklet/liner notes - or complete lack of.

No Quad remix credits, matter of fact there's hardly a mention of anything regarding the Quad mix. You'd think you'd want to mention that just a bit - or how this is an unreleased 4-channel mix that has never been heard before or the fact that it was remixed to Quad THREE times and still rejected for whatever reason.

There's an interesting story there and one that deserves to be told - but I guess I'm the only one who thinks that.

Just got this one today. Giving it a listen right now. Oddly enough, this is not the Quad mix we're used to. The Quad mix used here is dissimilar to either of the known ones that appear on the Mike Robin Reels.

Poverty Train: On the Audio Fidelity mix, Bass is in Back Left. The other Mike Robin mixes, Bass is back center.

Eli's Comin' : Audio Fidelity mix features all vocals in front center. Mike Robin reels feature Laura's Lead front center while backing vocals appear in either back center or back left (depending on which reel you get). Also, NO piano strikes during the intro!

So, we can safely say that this title was mixed to Quad at least THREE times. Makes you wonder how many different versions of other albums there are still lying about? Boggles the mind. However, from what I've read about SQ, this one 'feels' like it's the mix that would be the most compatible with SQ mixing requirements. I wonder if this mix was the SQ 4-track master or was this just the reel that was closest to being acceptable by both the artist and mixing requirements?

The sound is quite good. Still a little hiss detectable during the quieter passages but nowhere near as bad as the Mike Robin reels. The dynamic range is simply lovely. I'm happy with the disc and music, my only dissatisfaction would be with the mini-booklet/liner notes - or complete lack of.

No Quad remix credits, matter of fact there's hardly a mention of anything regarding the Quad mix. You'd think you'd want to mention that just a bit - or how this is an unreleased 4-channel mix that has never been heard before or the fact that it was remixed to Quad THREE times and still rejected for whatever reason.

There's an interesting story there and one that deserves to be told - but I guess I'm the only one who thinks that.

Blimey.. three different Quad mixes and none of them made it out for over 40 years..!? wow.. the mind boggles..

..it makes you wonder how many alternate Quad mixes there are for some of those Quads that did make it out but were potentially scaled back in their Quaddyness to accommodate SQ's shortcomings..?

(I have a theory about this, whenever I've come across a fairly tame Quad mix by one of the seasoned Quad mixers who often did slightly more adventurous ones.. take Don Young and his Edgar Winter Quads as one example.. the earlier They Only Come Out At Night Quad is more adventurous a surround mix than the next album, Shock Treatment, in Quad.. imho.. maybe because SQ couldn't handle what the engineers originally intended for Shock Treatment and they had to revise the Quad mixes in order to make it more compatible with the matrix system..?)

No, you're not the only one Darrin.. I agree with you on the liner notes.. to me they are/were the achilles heel of those Surround SACDs.. its a bit perplexing to me, the knowledge base about this Quad stuff with some of you guys here at QQ is staggering imho.. and yet it seems nobody has reached out to you to contribute anything to them..!? Maybe they did.. I dunno.. it seems with this Quad game there are often more questions raised than answers, even if (or maybe precisely because!?) a previously unreleased mix makes it out five decades after its creation...

Is it just me or are Laura's vocals mixed lower in the quad mix? they seem more forward in the SACD stereo and Redbook layers.

I am listening to a conversion from a quad reel and the lead vocals in the mix sound very forward and up front, and not mixed low, especially compared to some other quad mixes. Sorry, I have never listened to the SACD (yet) or any stereo version. This mix is awsome!

I am listening to a conversion from a quad reel and the lead vocals in the mix sound very forward and up front, and not mixed low, especially compared to some other quad mixes. Sorry, I have never listened to the SACD (yet) or any stereo version. This mix is awsome!

Hi himey

Thanks but it doesn't really answer my question as I don,t know what mix you are listening to.

Hi himey

Thanks but it doesn't really answer my question as I don,t know what mix you are listening to.

Sorry, didn't realize that more than one mix existed untill after I posted that. Must not be the same mix because like I said, the vocals are very up front and not recessed like many of the quad's.

Still waiting, waiting, waiting patiently for mine to come by some delaying Amazon vendor.

No quad info liner notes, that's a bit of a shame. I love that stuff. But if it's not indicated on the master tape box/boxes there's not much we can expect, which could be the instance here. (assumption)
I know Audio Fidelity was on a roll there for awhile . (Thanks to Sir Brian of Maven and our new QQ loyal friend A.F.'S Marshall, worthy heroes both) :sun :sun

Always looking forward to more of these quads, EARLY QUAD 60's wonders that recieved a mix and got shelved.
I know we can rely on those people involved to do their very best to continue to surprise us.:D

Back