DTS Demo (Music) Discs: Goldmines??!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hello QQers!

Prompted by a mention in another thread, I became curious about what seems to be a treasure trove of surround music waiting to be discovered on myriad demo discs out there, for DTS, Dolby (Atmos), and other surround formats. I found tons of tracks that are definitely not available in surround anywhere else, but seem to be on those discs!

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find what exactly these discs are, what kinds of music (videos? audio only? live? studio?) they contain, or most importantly, how to get them! I'm frankly a bit stumped that there doesn't seem to be a thread about these here - if these are real-deal 5.1 music samplers, I'd expect this community to go nuts about them. I mean, we went ape when the Mercedes Disc came out, and these look like each of them is 10x as awesome. o_O

Here are just a few examples of songs I found that apparently are in 5.1 or 7.1 surround on those discs:

• George Michael - Freedom '90
  • Michael Jackson - The Way You Make Me Feel
  • OMD - Joan Of Arc (Maid Of Orleans)
  • Joe Cocker - Fire It Up
  • Linkin Park - What I've Done
  • A-ha - The Living Daylights
  • Europe - Superstitious
  • Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is
  • ...and many many more.

I'd like to use this thread to collect any information that we have about these discs.

To start off, here's some stuff I found:

http://www.hifivision.com/movies/49889-dts-hd-ma-demo-disc-16-a-2.html#post574427 - it seems like there are at least 15 DTS demo Blu-Ray discs out there which are entirely dedicated to music. The above posts has track listings for the first 10 of these discs. Wear a bib while reading.

http://i0.wp.com/mqs.link/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/kXAdcCT.jpg?resize=500%2C639 - front cover of DTS Music Demo Disc 15 (2015)

http://i74.fastpic.ru/big/2016/0223/a8/_886917dc85ee8205df674d63e00c72a8.jpg?noht=1 - full front/back cover of DTS Blu-Ray Music Demo Disc 10 (2014). Text from the cover:

For promotional use only. [...] All clips were included on this disc in their original form and unmanipulated. Please be aware of volume differences between the clips.

http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/ - a seemingly very comprehensive list of demo discs released over the years (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD), complete with track listings and cover scans. Does not seem to include those DTS Demo Music Discs from above though.

So as I said above, I'm really not sure what's on these discs. If you google them, you mostly find torrents and other sketchy sources, and from a few screenshots I've seen, it seems like there's a lot of live stuff among them, but still, I'm curious.

Does anybody have some of these DTS Music Demo discs, or any surround demo disc? What's on them? Could it be that somewhere out these on those demo discs are surround mixes we've been clamoring for for years?

Might all be a fluke, but at least now we have a thread about it. :) Looking forward to your responses!

I recently discovered copies of these after searching for a legitimate release.
Music videos (non-concert) appear to all be discrete, and are consistently really good to superb.

Curious where do you get the time? I'll bet you have a time loop device, that allows you to loop the same hour over and over and over and over and over, and hey! wait a minute! Now your looping me!:smokin

Hmmm, I'll bet you have a time loop device, hey cut it out!:howl

I recently discovered copies of these after searching for a legitimate release.
Music videos (non-concert) appear to all be discrete, and are consistently really good to superb.

I was looking at the titles in the blu-ray disc and I was thinking some of these music tracks must be from a live concert source.....are you saying they're not, but are videos ?

Or are some live but most are not ?

Now there are 17 volumes of those DTS music demo discs... I have all of them.

It looks like someone have created their own dts demo blu ray discs by putting together music clips from original concert blu rays, original dts demo discs and music videos from other sources. All with hd sound (5.1, 7.1 Auro, dts:x etc) and hd picture (or lossy/sd picture in some older stuff)

I had the opportunity to listen to Britney Spears video of Till the World Ends - it is a discrete 7.1 mix - with 4 discrete and active channels behind you, just awesome to listen to. Does anyone know if this is taken from her Femme Fatale Tour blu ray? The index says the video is included on this blu ray - but is it in 7.1?

Will be an instant order if someone can verify this!

Thanks.

Edit: Ordered it anyway :banana:

I had the opportunity to listen to Britney Spears video of Till the World Ends - it is a discrete 7.1 mix - with 4 discrete and active channels behind you, just awesome to listen to. Does anyone know if this is taken from her Femme Fatale Tour blu ray? The index says the video is included on this blu ray - but is it in 7.1?

Will be an instant order if someone can verify this!

Thanks.

on the DTS demo music disc 13 is the video with 5.1 and 7.1 mix studio version, not live and i don't believe that on her femme fatale blu ray there is an official 7.1 video clip. usually there are videos in stereo. Maybe you heard my mix from the dts 13 disc....
I've made the 5.1 and 7.1 mixes from the original multitracks and include it with the original HD
video. it was really quick (about 3 minutes) and fun mixing because multitracks were high quality and mastered.

on the DTS demo music disc 13 is the video with 5.1 and 7.1 mix studio version, not live and i don't believe that on her femme fatale blu ray there is an official 7.1 video clip. usually there are videos in stereo. Maybe you heard my mix from the dts 13 disc....
I've made the 5.1 and 7.1 mixes from the original multitracks and include it with the original HD
video. it was really quick (about 3 minutes) and fun mixing because multitracks were high quality and mastered.

You mixed this? Very cool :banana:

Now there are 17 volumes of those DTS music demo discs... I have all of them.

I believe I've collected 3 of these, looking at this thread has me curious of why they're not listed in my inventory software. I'll try to locate them mon yana.

I too have several of these DTS Demo discs and Dolby Demo discs....

Some memorable mixes:

Imagine Dragons - "Shots" and "I Bet my Life"

The Killers - "Human"

Owl City - "Fireflies"

NIN

Some live mixes from The Pixies, Eagles, Dave Matthews, Seal, etc.

I got these off of the "web" mainly for showing off bass scenes in movies.

For those into home theater like me, AVSFORUMS has a bunch of demo discs that showcase movies and music. It's all "out there."

Found the 2006, 2007 and 2013 Disc's, with the latter being my favorite of the 3, if any member is collecting these I'd part with the earlier two.

Back