Fire Garden; Prog rock new album in 5.1 CD/DVD (with FLAC download option)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I got the coaster too! :banana: By the way, excellent album and lovely 5.1 surround mix. (y) Keep it up!

Four copies left - better safe than sorry, right?

Same here. I was rather late to hop onto Far And Near, but am very glad I did; Zee kindly sent me a couple of beer mats (drink coasters) with the album art on them, along with the CD/DVD. :D🍺

Reactions: GOS
In case anyone else wasn't aware of this release and missed out on the CD/DVD set, it's currently available at Laser's Edge for $15. I received my copy yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed both the album and surround mix. The music itself reminded me a lot of Porcupine Tree's Lava albums in that there's a nice contrast between melodic/ambient sections and heavier riffing.

The 5.1 mix is highly effective in expanding on the atmospheric nature of the music. The opening track in particular is a stunner. The general layout places the rhythm section, lead guitars, and lead vocal across the front channels, with acoustic guitars, keyboards, and vocal effects in the rears. The drum kit comes out into the room a bit, but it doesn't really 'wrap-around' the listener. Lead vocals are pretty evenly dispersed across the front three channels rather than residing only in the center.

My only critique--and this just may be a matter of taste--is that some of the denser, heavier sections sound a bit muddled to my ears. If there were a poll, I'd probably vote a high "8" or a low "9".

Back