"Rejoice! I'm Dead!" by Gong, out on 2CD & DVD this Fall!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its on Snapper's Madfish label in exactly the same book-like package as The Pineapple Thief's "Your Wilderness" which is on Snapper's KScope label - so I guess it has been produced in the same numbers as TPT, and they've sold out.

I notice this is being described at various places as a "Limited Edition".. does anybody here know how limited that is?

Its on Snapper's Madfish label in exactly the same book-like package as The Pineapple Thief's "Your Wilderness" which is on Snapper's KScope label - so I guess it has been produced in the same numbers as TPT, and they've sold out.

bit daft isn't it..?

.. i mean, they can't sell what they don't make..

.. maybe some people are speculating and buying these expressly because they are limited runs and want to make a few quid down the line.. hmm..

..also, these labels can't honestly imagine all interested parties would know about this release before it sells out..

I fear I'm gonna miss out on this one (and looks like I've already missed the boat with TPT) because I just cannot afford to buy everything I want that is coming out in this hobby at the exact moment it comes out, or even within a month or two sometimes, by which time it seems so often now all copies are gone..

..a good dilemma in a way because it means this stuff is selling, good for the artists and good for the labels if they have a quick return on their money.. and good for the future of this hobby of course..

..but kinda frustrating to find you miss out when one of these things sells out so rapidly..

*gets off soapbox* sorry.. :eek:

It is frustrating, its a bit like the early days of SACD/DVD-A where you discovered a title only to find its no-longer available and you should have bought it when it was released.

Whilst I still have a job I'm buying what I can as pre-orders, and hoping all of them arrive before the year end, as I don't want any large credit card bills after then. Then its going to be only buying what I've the cash for. And I still haven't received my Chicago Quadio yet so hopefully it will have the corrected discs!

bit daft isn't it..?

.. i mean, they can't sell what they don't make..

.. maybe some people are speculating and buying these expressly because they are limited runs and want to make a few quid down the line.. hmm..

..also, these labels can't honestly imagine all interested parties would know about this release before it sells out..

I fear I'm gonna miss out on this one (and looks like I've already missed the boat with TPT) because I just cannot afford to buy everything I want that is coming out in this hobby at the exact moment it comes out, or even within a month or two sometimes, by which time it seems so often now all copies are gone..

..a good dilemma in a way because it means this stuff is selling, good for the artists and good for the labels if they have a quick return on their money.. and good for the future of this hobby of course..

..but kinda frustrating to find you miss out when one of these things sells out so rapidly..

*gets off soapbox* sorry.. :eek:

Gong is not sold out!

I know it isn't, yet.. I just don't have a bottomless pit to be able to instantly get this surround stuff as soon as it comes out that's such a limited print run and that it's a bit silly in as much as they could keep on selling it for years to come maybe rather than do a short production run after all the costs of remixing from multi's and other overhead of producing DVDs etc, just seems a slightly strange business model to me (which seems to be a recurring theme for me it just doesn't ad up a lot of the time butt hen I don't work in that industry so I haven't a clue about it all).. that's all I was saying.. phew! :)

It is frustrating, its a bit like the early days of SACD/DVD-A where you discovered a title only to find its no-longer available and you should have bought it when it was released.

Whilst I still have a job I'm buying what I can as pre-orders, and hoping all of them arrive before the year end, as I don't want any large credit card bills after then. Then its going to be only buying what I've the cash for. And I still haven't received my Chicago Quadio yet so hopefully it will have the corrected discs!

It is not dissimilar.. although I came late to SACD in as much as a lot of the things I was really interested in were already out of print and starting to fetch tidy sums, so while it still hurt the wallet I was kinda prepared to be clobbered from time to time to get something long out of print..

whereas now I don't see the logic in new surround titles going out of print within like a month or two of release..

..it just seems a bit unwise imho, not least because you then limit your sales to one burst of activity and income and that's it..

i mean, how do the label and artist monetise that surround investment down the line with one limited edition print run of a surround title..?

anyway.. I've said my piece, back to the topic at hand! :)

"..also, these labels can't honestly imagine all interested parties would know about this release before it sells out.."

Yes, but it is a balancing act, make too many and they sit and take up costly space. I was peripherally involved with couple runs (of stereo LPs and CDs) of 1000, and it worked out well for the number the bands knew they could sell, or distribute, and give as promos. Of course Gong's audience would be exponentially larger.

Order placed. Geez, folks, scare me with the out of print possibility and I run to get my credit card.

Last edited:
I have Camembert Electrique on vinyl which I bought 2nd hand in the 70s. It's the only music that my parents asked to be turned off. Now that's something to be proud of!

I liked Steve Hillage too. Is this music a departure from the early stuff? I should listen on Spotify first.

Thanks.. it is sold out at Burning Shed which had the best price and was where I was planning on getting it.
Never mind, I shall just have to pretend it's like an old out of print SACD and get my Indiana Jones hat on to search for a cheap one! :p

How come when I go to BS, I can see it...and place it in my cart? Adam? It says US $38.70 and with $13.55 shipping for a total of US $52.25.

OOPS! You meant The Pineapple Thief...nevermind...

Just finished my first full listen-through of this title, and I'm not really sure what I think of it yet.
I'll definitely listen again before I vote, but right now, this is either an '8' or a '9'.

There's nothing wrong with the surround mix at all. It's discrete and adventurous, the kind of attributes that fit perfectly with this kind of music.
I'm just torn on how to vote on the music and fidelity. Sometimes I could give each piece of criteria full points, whereas other times I could dock a point because I feel like things could be better.
This is why I need another listen before voting, but so far, I would say that you should definitely listen to this one in stereo first before deciding if you think it's good enough to go for the $50 edition, the only one that has surround sound. :)

IN addition to receiving 3 albums today, I also received GONG Deluxe!!! Wow, what a haul...all unexpected on this Saturday!

GONG.jpg

Just finished my first full listen-through of this title, and I'm not really sure what I think of it yet.
I'll definitely listen again before I vote, but right now, this is either an '8' or a '9'.

There's nothing wrong with the surround mix at all. It's discrete and adventurous, the kind of attributes that fit perfectly with this kind of music.
I'm just torn on how to vote on the music and fidelity. Sometimes I could give each piece of criteria full points, whereas other times I could dock a point because I feel like things could be better.
This is why I need another listen before voting, but so far, I would say that you should definitely listen to this one in stereo first before deciding if you think it's good enough to go for the $50 edition, the only one that has surround sound. :)

Ryan - after listening to the disc twice, I agree with your hesitation. The fidelity is a bit of a head-scratcher. When there are NO drums, meaning some of the acoustical quieter moments, I think the fidelity is great. But it seems to me the drums just muffle things up a bit. I dunno. Too early for me to vote as well, but something tells me I can't give it a 9. No, that doesn't feel right to me.

eventually there is supposed to be a Gong box set and supposedly some quad mixes were done years ago. This new album and the Steve Hillage mega box are what's on now, the Gong box to come....and boy do I need it.

Back