"Rejoice! I'm Dead!" by Gong, out on 2CD & DVD this Fall!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
From Burning Shed:https://www.burningshed.com/store/madfish/product/397/7785/

Featuring the voice of Daevid Allen on two songs and guest appearances from Steve Hillage and Didier Malherbehe, Rejoice! I'm Dead! is the 2016 release (and 28th album) from the enduring legend that is Gong.

--------

Gong has entered yet another new phase in its four-decades plus journey with Rejoice! I'm Dead!, the follow up to 2014's I See You the last album Daevid Allen was to record with Gong.

A few minutes into listening to Rejoice! I'm Dead!, all doubts about the absence of Daevid Allen will be cast aside as contemporary and classic members unite to produce an undeniably 'Gong sound'.

Steering the band's music into outer space and the inner ear, Kavus Torabi, Fabio Golfetti, Dave Sturt, Ian East and Cheb Nettles take the Gong legacy into fresh territories without abandoning the principles established by the band's founding visionary Daevid Allen.

Double cd / dvda version in a deluxe 12" 44 page hardback book, featuring the album, a bonus cd of extras and a dvda disc with 24/96 PCM stereo and DTS 96/24 5.1 digital surround mixes.

"Inspired by the light, love and passing of our dear friend and inspiration, Daevid Allen." - Dave Sturt

Pre-order for 16th September release.

CD 1:

1. The Thing That Should Be [03:34]
2. Rejoice! [10:17]
3. Kaptial [03:21]
4. Model Village [06:43]
5. Beatrix [02:54]
6. Visions [04:29]
7. The Unspeakable Stands Revealed [11:49]
8. Through Restless Seas I Come [06:58]
9. Insert Yr Own Prophecy [09:36]

CD 2:

Demos
Interviews
Rehearsal Clips

Details TBA

DVD:

24/96 PCM stereo and DTS 96/24 5.1 digital surround mixes

large6184.jpg

Blimey.. another new surround album seemingly out of nowhere! Great find, thanks Ryan.

I wonder who remixed it? Bruce Soord? Steven Wilson? Can't be, there'd be mention of them wouldn't there..

Maybe this will lead to more Gong in Surround..?

iirc Universal were meant to be doing a box set of their Flying Teapot stuff.. different label and era and all that but.. who knows, somebody in their camp must be surround-friendly by the looks of it..?

..and then there's that "Shamal" unreleased Quad (that approx half of seemingly slipped out on an SQ LP promo according to a couple of the longtime Quad experts here, there's a QQ thread on it somewhere).

Things just keeping getting more and more interesting these days with this hobby don't they...

I have never heard of Gong before but the clip sounds nice.

I have never heard of Gong before but the clip sounds nice.

Some nice proggy spacey psych weird stuff and jazzy fusion stuff over the years, some nice options for surround too.. quite a varied catalogue.. I wonder how Steven Wilson feels about them, has he ever mentioned them in interviews?

Some nice proggy spacey psych weird stuff and jazzy fusion stuff over the years, some nice options for surround too.. quite a varied catalogue.. I wonder how Steven Wilson feels about them, has he ever mentioned them in interviews?

I've never heard him mention Gong. My top pick would be You, followed by Angel's Egg.

Sounds like my cup of tea!

To get the DVD-A, you have to spend a decent amount of money. Is this thing going to be worth that? I'm personally not familiar with Gong, and can't really tell much about this album since there is only part of a clip floating around. Or are there more clips?

I'd say the clip is a good taster of Gong, this is a link to the album "Angels Egg" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0AhjPHGbLU have a listen to the album "You" as well that'll give you a better feel for them. My first Gong album was Camembert Electrique for a whole 49p in 1972! I saw them for the first time a few years ago at the Beautiful Days Festival they were astounding, Daevid Allen was leaping around like a teenager and he was in his 70s. I'd say they were prog with a twist of Zappa and heavily jazz influenced, oh and very hippy!

............and I just had to buy the new album, good job its released before the end of the year

To get the DVD-A, you have to spend a decent amount of money. Is this thing going to be worth that? I'm personally not familiar with Gong, and can't really tell much about this album since there is only part of a clip floating around. Or are there more clips?

I'd say the clip is a good taster of Gong, this is a link to the album "Angels Egg" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0AhjPHGbLU have a listen to the album "You" as well that'll give you a better feel for them. My first Gong album was Camembert Electrique for a whole 49p in 1972! I saw them for the first time a few years ago at the Beautiful Days Festival they were astounding, Daevid Allen was leaping around like a teenager and he was in his 70s. I'd say they were prog with a twist of Zappa and heavily jazz influenced, oh and very hippy!

............and I just had to buy the new album, good job its released before the end of the year

Thanks Duncan - so are you ordering the deluxe version with the 5.1?

Thanks Cold-Brew...I mean Colsky! That is what I needed. I love the way it sounds...guess I'll take the plunge. :banana:

Not cold-brew tonight, me Whis-key! And it looks like its cheaper to buy on planet gong, their own website, than on Burning Shed. Not sure how the postage costs compare though. I'll be a plunging too :confused:

I quite liked their 2032 album (managed to get the cd/vinyl combo, the vinyl sounds so much better) as well as the I See You LP, so this will be interesting.

Back