Label Sono Luminus offers over 15 titles in 5.1 & 9.1 on Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Fellow member stormchaser started a thread about the album Crossing Over by the Skylark Vocal Ensemble and I thought it could be a good thing to have a thread where we can discuss all the Multichannel releases from the Sono Luminus label which offers over 15 titles on Blu-Ray with 5.1 and 9.1 options.

Many of these are from contemporary composers, which makes it quite interesting and refreshing. For example, they have this title: Sculthorpe: The Complete String Quartets with Didjeridu. :D

You can hear sound clips from many of these albums on iTunes

https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-CDs-Blu-ray-Audio-Disc/dp/B06XWK6KS1

Okay, I'm editing this post now that I've had a chance for a full listen. This is a really interesting bit of work by the Los Angeles Percussion Quartet. Think of percussion broadly in this sense. These compositions are pretty atmospheric and individual songs can go from very quiet to startlingly loud chimes and drums quickly. While I haven't looked at any waveforms, it sounds dynamic, if perhaps a bit cold due to the compositions. Can you have an ambient percussion album? If so, this is probably it.

As to the surrounds, there are plenty of songs where discrete content shines through, while on others they produce a deeply immersive ambience. I'd encourage classical/ambient fans to listen to a few samples and if you like, pick this up. The Blu-Ray has DTS-HD 5.1 and Aero 9.1 options for surround (pretty standard on these Pure Audio Blu-Rays).

Last edited:
I have quite a few of these.

Incidentally, I tried putting on Zofo Plays Terry Riley last night in 7.1 DTS HD Master and it kept defaulting to 5.1... OPPO is set to bit stream for BD and my receive is set to Direct, so I don't know what's up...
I'll have to test some other 7.1 discs to see if it's an isolated issue. I don't recall this ever happening before.

I really wish I was more interested in the music this label puts out - I actually have a lot of their blu-ray audio releases, but I got most of them for $3-5 in the Princeton Record Exchange bargain bin. The owners of the label are independently very wealthy (they founded Cisco Systems), so they can more or less do what they want.

I have quite a few of these.

Incidentally, I tried putting on Zofo Plays Terry Riley last night in 7.1 DTS HD Master and it kept defaulting to 5.1... OPPO is set to bit stream for BD and my receive is set to Direct, so I don't know what's up...
I'll have to test some other 7.1 discs to see if it's an isolated issue. I don't recall this ever happening before.

EB, if you access the OPPO menu there is a default setting for reducing 7.1 automatically to 5.1. Perhaps you have to manually disengage it when playing 7.1 or it WILL default to 5.1

Try it.

Hmmm. I've never seen that option. And I haven't noticed this happen with any other 7.1 title. I'll have to investigate tonight.

Mystery solved, I guess. I had the same issue on another Sono Luminus disc (Los Angeles Percussion something or other). Went to look at the OPPO settings.
Decided to toggle HDMI output from "Bitstream" to "Auto." Like magic, the receiver shows all 8 channels of input.

I don't recall having an issue with the "Bitstream" setting before. :confused:

Back