BluRay Music Video Poll Young, Neil - RUST NEVER SLEEPS [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay of Neil Young - RUST NEVER SLEEPS

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Content, Great Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 -

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 8 -

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • 7 -

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this July 2016 release of the 1978 concert film "RUST NEVER SLEEPS" by Neil Young.

(n):phones(y)

PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION THREAD: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?21853

Rust Never Sleeps.jpg

I gave this a quick spin when I got home today. Don't expect a surround spectacular by any means. Of course as others have said, the original grainy video is still grainy - it's just high definition grain!! :) It's presented 16x9 and I have not done any comparison with earlier VHS, LD, or DVD versions I've owned over the years. I am not motivated enough to drag them all out and do a side by side. Someone else is welcome to.

The audio sounds great. They did a nice job on this one and it's supposed to be 24/192. When I get a chance I will check the wav files and see just what the surround mix sounds like via individual channels, but from listening it sure sounds like ambience in the rears to me.

So, hey, hey, my, my, I love this era of NY music so watching him rip through these tunes when both he and I were young(er) really made me smile. You may react differently but if you are like me you will want this BluRay - but it won't be for the surround. I found it for $17 in a real still-surviving local record store!! It came in a standard jewel box sized cardboard sleeve, not a video sized BluRay case, so you may not see it where you think it might be if you still have music stores in your area.

More later.

Really enjoyed seeing that in a Nashville theater with my best friend visiting from California when that film was new. I'll buy it!

Yea, me too tim cept I saw that tour live with the gremlins or whatever in the weirdness they were. And it was a great show so I'll probably have to rebuy it on the blu. Kevin

Jon,

I have just bought this as well and I think you are spot on in your brief review. The sound is quite decent for a concert video but is almost irrelevant given the killer performance. Fortunately, the blu-ray is a distinct improvement over the DVD version. However, the performance is an absolute k

To me, the surround channels are basically ambience. However, I did find a bit of an anomaly. When I ripped the stereo layer, it ripped fine but when I tried to rip the surround layer, it would not get beyond track 17 (of 21). I tried it a couple of times and used several different methods but I have to admit defeat. I will be curious to see if others have the same problem. However, it almost doesn't matter as I think it actually sounds a bit better by applying PLIIX to the stereo layer.

Nevertheless, in spite of the quirks, a worthy addition to the Neil Young high resolution discography.

Jim

UPDATE: I extracted the 24/192 audio using MakeMKV and AudioMuxer. For some reason I had to run AudioMuxer twice and the first attempt somehow finished but the .flac file was nowhere to be found. (Yes, I put it in the proper directory).

Anyway, the surround mix is pretty much the standard concert deal. In fact, the stereo mix is almost the same. It's a pretty basic concert, 4 guys blasting out R&R on a stage, so things like isolated instruments and such are not going to happen. In fact, as I was listening to the flac file on the PC, channel by channel at times, straining to find some channel exclusive sounds, a light bulb went on. It's a CONCERT! You can't tell where any sound is coming from. It's pretty much MASSIVE MONO. There is audience noise in all 5 channels, and the entire package is what is important. It's prime Neil Young on stage giving us his all. So for content - 10, for fidelity - 7 (it's about as good as it ever will be), for surround, eh - 3. BUT!!!! I would say it's a 10 to me because that's what it is historically and musically.

So, as I said above, don't spend your money on it if you're looking for surround, or pristine video, or crystal clear audio. AIX it's not. It's Neil Young! :)

Just had a quick run through the disc and I have to agree with Jon - I wasn't expecting much from the video but the surround is a bit disappointing. I found myself flicking between the stereo and surround options on the tracks and my initial impression is that I prefer the stereo version. Maybe I just wasn't playing it loud enough.

I'm not what you would call a Neil Young fan....I have a love/hate relationship with his music...I love some songs and hate most of the others....as was already mentioned by others.. don't buy this for the video or surround...BUT if you want to see a time capsule(be careful of the brown acid)..and an active Neil Young..this disc is priceless...it's a look at the late 70's music culture..complete with cheesy stage effects..you could certainly tell this was low budget all the way...but Neil really performs well...probably the best performance I have seen him give..this was at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on October 22, 1978..he had tons of energy in this concert and was less "quirky"..

If you are a Neil Young fan...this is a must buy...it you appreciate the 70's music scene...buy it...if you are interested in pristine video and impressive surround...look elsewhere....I'm giving this an 8...with the understanding of how poor the source material they had to work with....but is offset by the tremendous performance

I'm not what you would call a Neil Young fan....I have a love/hate relationship with his music...I love some songs and hate most of the others....as was already mentioned by others.. don't buy this for the video or surround...BUT if you want to see a time capsule(be careful of the brown acid)..and an active Neil Young..this disc is priceless...it's a look at the late 70's music culture..complete with cheesy stage effects..you could certainly tell this was low budget all the way...but Neil really performs well...probably the best performance I have seen him give..this was at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on October 22, 1978..he had tons of energy in this concert and was less "quirky"..

If you are a Neil Young fan...this is a must buy...it you appreciate the 70's music scene...buy it...if you are interested in pristine video and impressive surround...look elsewhere....I'm giving this an 8...with the understanding of how poor the source material they had to work with....but is offset by the tremendous performance

I give Rust Never Sleeps a 7 only because the next BD~V I watched was Zappa The Roxy. Shot in 1973 (5 years before Rust) it not only looks better and sounds better (albeit DD 5.1 vs. Rust's Lossless DTS MA 5.1 track), but ROXY is far more entertaining. I know.... I shouldn't compare but couldn't resist.

The 'look' of the concert was very, very intentional, no less than, say, what was behind STOP MAKING SENSE, which came along five years later. From the dark lighting and brown tints to the jawas and the audio, it was meant to be no frills but with its own unique atmosphere (directed by Neil as Bernard Shakey, as usual).

Tonight, when I've time, I need to put on the cans for this one, since all I hear--old DVD or this new package--through the big audio system is ambient stereo (mainly during the acoustic portion) and then very limited stereo separation for the hard rock second half. Haven't played it in some time, but don't remember anything being exactly mono, but then again, not much I'd call normal stereo, either.

Interestingly, the final "Hey Hey My My" track was also issued as a single back in 1979, and in....M O N O ! Yes, really, and you'd be hard pressed to find too many mono 45's issued commercially by that time, but this one was. The significance is that (as I recall) the audience was totally mixed out, so you didn't even hear them at the end of the performance.

ED :)

I have the AIX produced dvd from years back, and found the surround to be quite adequate, not huge in the rears, but also not lacking.

This new disc, which I don't have btw states it's a "NEW" 5.1 mix.Is this new mix better or worse-can someone confirm/compare.?

(For sure I will purchase "Human Highway" as I had it on vhs yrs ago, with it's quirky gas jockey actor):rolleyes:

HUMAN HIGHWAY? An enjoyable train wreck if you're an NY fan, but even then, that character he plays--and how he looked--went beyond the surreal.

Then there's JOURNEY THROUGH THE PAST, but don't think we should go there....

I have the AIX produced dvd from years back, and found the surround to be quite adequate, not huge in the rears, but also not lacking.

This new disc, which I don't have btw states it's a "NEW" 5.1 mix.Is this new mix better or worse-can someone confirm/compare.?

(For sure I will purchase "Human Highway" as I had it on vhs yrs ago, with it's quirky gas jockey actor):rolleyes:

Adequate compared to what? The dvd, like the bluray, is light ambiance only. Nothing to get excited about on the surround sound front.

HUMAN HIGHWAY? An enjoyable train wreck if you're an NY fan, but even then, that character he plays--and how he looked--went beyond the surreal.

I kind of like 'Human Highway', the blu ray is quite a good transfer but only 1 track 'hey hey my my' with DEVO, has any real rear speaker action.

Sorry for hijacking this thread normal service should be resumed

Last edited:
I kind of like human highway, the blu ray is quite a good transfer but only 1 track 'hey hey my my' with DEVO, has any real rear speaker action.

Sorry for hijacking this thread normal service should be resumed

Oh yes that's right.

I forgot Devo was on there.(besides the bad acting of course)

But it's the music & surround that I always seek out.thx

Oh yes that's right.

I forgot Devo was on there.(besides the bad acting of course)

But it's the music & surround that I always seek out.thx

There is a guy in a Devo "suit" in the Rust Never Sleeps movie. Not sure if it symbolises anything or what.

Don't have the "Archives" box set so I am not familiar with the movie (JTTP) but always wanted that 5.1 recording.Is there not additional 5.1 music or sessions from CSNY from 4 Way Street ?

Back